ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Battery the issue?

Renault Clio GT
Morning all,
I'm not the most mechanical of people so I'll include all the detail, some of it could be extremely irrelevant so bare with me lol

Ok so - Tuesday evening I was low on fuel, nipped home for my wallet and went to fill up at the station, came home and parked my car. 10 seconds later I realised I had to move my car so of course started it again, and got messages of 'ESC ON' and 'Traction Control ON' which i've never had before.

Wednesday morning I go out to start my car for my journey to work - Wouldn't start. I was getting the same ESC/TC messages but also loads of random other messages, like 'check auto gearbox' and 'braking system fault' etc etc, all completely random at each start attempt. The overhead lights were flickering and making awful clicking sounds, the centre console was attempting to turn on but was having a bit of a fit. At first start there was a big crank then 10 secs later there's rapid cranking. The fuel needle was also having a complete meltdown (having a fit at the bottom, very rapidly)

Got a jump pack and started fine. Took it to work, tried to start again and of course didn't start so I jumped it and took it for a 30min drive, got back and it didn't start again but was still jumping absolutely fine.

Garage next door to work took a look at it and he said he checked alternator and that was fine but he couldn't check the battery because there was no stickers or info on the battery so he didn't know the rating. He replaced the battery and all works OK now.

But I'm slightly concerned about the amount of power that there was within the car - I thought if a battery was gone then nothing happened in the car? Surely a centre console uses a fair bit of power?

Is this an issue that maybe was not the battery but a replacement of the battery has fixed? (Earthing)?

Many thanks for any answers.
Car is only a 15 reg with 15,000 miles that cost me 10k, so slightly concerned about this when I only got it less than 2 months ago.

Car info if required - 1.2 TCE GT Line

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Most likely battery going off the symptoms of the needle flickering rapidly. They do this when low.

I wouldn't worry, cold weather kills batteries. Just put a multimeter on the terminals whilst running to check it's voltage

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
But I'm slightly concerned about the amount of power that there was within the car - I thought if a battery was gone then nothing happened in the car? Surely a centre console uses a fair bit of power?

Takes the square root of sod all power compared to the load of starting the thing. Your symptoms sound exactly like those I'd expect from a goosed battery - a low battery voltage can cause absolute havoc with the electrics once it gets below a certain value.

As you've had the alternator checked and it's been fine I'm with @Louis on this one, I wouldn't worry either.