ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BC 182 Coilover Top Mounts Noise

03 clio sport asc
Hey Guys

I have BC top mounts fitted to my BC coilovers, fitted them and everything was fine, had to remove them and since fitting them again I can hear what feels / sounds like the top mounts are loose when say moving around a bumpy car park, driving at speeds is fine, ive loosened off the the 3 allen key bolts that hold the top of the mounts through the strut towers and retightned them but something still feels loose, any ideas? how do the tops actually come off if i pull on the adjuster knob will it pop off with out damage and then can i simply tighten them back down with 2 spanners or do they not work that way?

Attachments

• IMG_5234.jpg
    IMG_5234.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 202

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Top mount will come off if you take the big but off.

Will have to be removed from underneath obviously.

03 clio sport asc
Will have a play tonight, can anyone confirm that pure motorsport top mounts will fit the BC's? As they bolt through the strut towers I feel they might be a bit better.

Can any one also confirm the 3 bolts on the BC Motorsport Top mounts dont adjust anything and are clearly there to clamp the top of the coilover to the strut tower?

I wouldnt get the pms ones instead of the bcs unless you want to run the strut bar, personally id set them to max castor and keep the camber using the strut holes.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Will have a play tonight, can anyone confirm that pure motorsport top mounts will fit the BC's? As they bolt through the strut towers I feel they might be a bit better.

Can any one also confirm the 3 bolts on the BC Motorsport Top mounts dont adjust anything and are clearly there to clamp the top of the coilover to the strut tower?

No they do actually adjust the camber or caster, depending on which way you have them facing.

I don't have any funny noises coming from mine.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
ok cool so 100% caster can be adjusted that way?
Do you actually know what you have there? As in the capabilities of adjustment as what the caster and camber adjustments will do to your handling? I’m not trying to teach you to suck eggs but maybe you should read up on the effects of both camber and caster and then adjust the cars handling to your needs.

03 clio sport asc
Hey I’m buy no means an expert and rely on quality wheel alignment techs to get it done right, last setup was 3.3 degrees camber, 3 degrees caster, 0 toe, seem’d great at last track day but had a bridgecraft roll correction kit as well for the 1st time which transformed the car, should the top mounts been adjusted further for more camber as I believe they left them the way I installed them and simply corrected the toe (I had set the camber up with camber bolts which they said was spot on and didn’t need to be touched)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I have the 3 bolts pointing out towards the wings, which is max camber and then set up by camber bolts.

03 clio sport asc
Yep that’s how I set mine up too I think previously with out the top mounts we could only get 2.7 degrees camber with only the bolts but I believe extra castor would be more beneficial but like to know how much should we being aiming for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
adjuster knob I think is held in place with a small grub screw.
I would be stripping the top mount down, checking the bearing for wear and play. They wear out eventually - especially so as bearings prefer a verticle orientation for longevity(but I'm yet to see that design make its way to any coilover and top mount setup at the front :D)

03 clio sport asc
they only have maybe 1000km on them, I installed them couple of months ago and had no problem, I had to remove the coilovers to have them modified to fit the roll correction kit on and figured easy just to remove the the coilover and top mount together. I did have a bit trouble when I put them back in to have the top plate to sit flush on top of the strut top but i loosened the top plate a couple of times and ended up getting it nice and flush,

Car was fine for the 1st and 2nd session at a track day and noticed after coming in after the 2nd session something sounded a miss.

can anyone correct me in the correct / best process to fit the coilovers and top mounts for future? is it fine to jack say the brake up to get the coilover into place before securing the top mount or better to basically pull the coilover up while tightening the the top mount