ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BC Coilover Setup Help

RS Clio 172 Cup
MickPM supplied and fitted some brand new BC coilovers a couple of months back for me and I have to say I'm loving them. (bargain price too ;)) I've been to Anglesey and Oulton with the Car since been fitted and can't believe how well the cars handles.

The only issue I have is the front wheel arches rub the tyres on hard cornering (Cascades at Oulton in particular). I've raised the front as much as is feasible but it still rubs. This may be a very stupid question as the answer seems obvious but would uprated springs help? - It already has uprated from standard BC setup). If so would there be any negative affect from uprated springs on the front?. I'm not arsed about comfort it only get driven to and from a track plus the occasional run out. Any other suggestions/ remedies also welcome of course :)

The car will be used for sprinting and I would expect places like Three Sisters and Aintree will see the arches fowl the tyres even more frequently than the aforementioned tracks so I' wanting to sort this before April.

I'm obviously going to give Mick a call to discuss (If he doesn't see this thread) as he seems a very level headed and knowledgable guy from the time I spent chatting with him whist he fitted but thought I'd get people opinions/ advise on here also.

Karl

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Im sure that mick offers different spring rates for the BC coilovers.

Ill be looking at getting a set in the new year for my PH1 (not for track though)

LY FF182
You could look where they are actually rubbing and if it's the liners just let them rub through.. If it the wing then roll the lip out the way.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Ive removed the liners which helped but theyre rubbing pretty much in the centre of the arch. Will take a look to see what it is actually rubbing on now. Cheers.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I think you're probably right actually. Will give it a go.... if youre right youll have saved me some time and money :)

Thanks

They take a bit of manipulating, arm yourself with a pair of mole grips, bend up and I'd put money on it resolving your issue.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I am guessing your BC's are like the ones I have on my mx5. The top rings are for pre load and the bottom is for ride height?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You can add a set of pre - load springs chap but aren't you running 205 tyres to?

Audi A5
I bet it's rubbing where the 10mm bolt goes that holds the bumper on, all you need to do it cut the edge back to the hole, theirs about 5mm to cut back and then it won't rub.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Ah right - I assume you've played with damping rate to? If you want to pop down one weekend I'll gladly have a proper look for you as I'm running the same as you without any scrub issues.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Thanks Mick, appreciate thst.

Ive altered the damping which helps but I dont want it to stiff for sprints. You need a good amount of damping on most circuits.

Its only on track I get it when giving it propper beans round the odd corner so dont think theres anything wrong. I know others with Bilsteins that have the same problem.

Will give the bending of brackets a go as advised above. Im really happy with the setup though :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The offer is there chap so just let me know if you want to drop in. Thinking about it I don't run front section arch liners as I run brake cooling ducts and divertor plates. I pushed it extremely hard at Blyton recently and not a single bit of scrub which surprised me as I expected some from the rear at least due to the spacers and brackets.

RS Clio 172 Cup
The offer is there chap so just let me know if you want to drop in. Thinking about it I don't run front section arch liners as I run brake cooling ducts and divertor plates. I pushed it extremely hard at Blyton recently and not a single bit of scrub which surprised me as I expected some from the rear at least due to the spacers and brackets.

Cheers mate.

Love Blyton, thats on the Sprint calendar again this year... hopefully ill make it there without my car catching fire this time.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah i actually had more fun there than i thought i would. A properly quick little circuit, i was nearly touching 110 at Froids chasing Chi down in his R26. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has issues there though... I blew my diff :-( #nemasis #circuit

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Jesus not you aswell! LOL

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money at the minute what with a holiday in April, a new workshop and the wife threatening another baby/house. I'm deffo going to squirrel some away though and may compromise on a Quaife if one turns up at the right price.

RS Clio 172 Cup
Jesus not you aswell! LOL

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money at the minute what with a holiday in April, a new workshop and the wife threatening another baby/house. I'm deffo going to squirrel some away though and may compromise on a Quaife if one turns up at the right price.

PMSL... Im really wanting one but struggling to justify the cost too. Could buy my car again for what one costs to buy and fit

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Then it needs servicing because it's a plate diff... it's great and by far the best product of its type for the JB/JC box but the cost won't suddenly make me a better or less aggressive driver and as it's not a competition car lap times aren't a driving constraint.

RS Clio 172 Cup
At least if I havent got a LSD I can blame the car for my poor performances. If I keep improving the car there will be knowhere left for me to hide LOL

I had the same issues, just put a big hammer to the bracket and lifted the ride height, stay open diff you now it makes sense, don't forget to put the plastic arch liners back in or I'll be talking to Mr Mansley lol :rasp:

Regards Russ....

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I had the same issues, just put a big hammer to the bracket and lifted the ride height, stay open diff you now it makes sense, don't forget to put the plastic arch liners back in or I'll be talking to Mr Mansley lol :rasp:
s Russ....
Won't be the only one with dodgy arch liners eh Russ ? I have offered my services to Mr Mansley so be warned !

Won't be the only one with dodgy arch liners eh Russ ? I have offered my services to Mr Mansley so be warned !

Yes right lol, get back to your Jap car forum, still got your baseball cap ready and blue neons if you still want them lol.
Again very nice car Col.

Regards Russ....

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Russ when he is 3/4 seconds behinds us next year he now has his excuse. I haven't got a diff like you to:cry: