ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BC DS Spring Rate (road)

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Looking into the BC DS Coilovers as they have the better digressive valving dampers,These will be just for a fast road setup.

Anyone running these with a low spring rate for road use,ie 5/6/7kg? and even changed the rear springs for something lower as they come at 8kg only.

That should be nice and compliant. OE is roughly 3.25 kgs F / 5.75 kgs R for comparison.

I'd be tempted to go stiffer at the front - 6 kgs - as this will aid steering response and turn-in without adversely affecting compliance.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Thats what im thinking at the moment,as the b14's have 7kg on the front if i remember,so like you say 6kg could be good.I know i can change the springs if i need to,but the dampers are valved to suit the spring rate and can only be 2kg up or down.So 6kg rear would be ideal?.as the rear is stripped with a half cage @plenty

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Would the BR kit not be better suited? That's 6kg F and 4kg R. Are you using it on track at any point?

My current circuit 182 came with the DS 9/8 kg and was bearable over a 50-mile round trip to Croft, once a month. I wouldn't like to think I was driving it daily though.

Funnily enough, I've now got the AST 5100 kit on it with 9kg front and 10 kg rear and it's much more comfortable back and forth to the circuit than the DS kit. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Last edited:

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
No mate it wont be going on track,i did look at the BR kit but are the DS series not a bit better of a damper with the digressive valves?. @Mr Underhill

I spoke to mark @Jekyll and he had BR with 4kg F & 8kg R.

I drove @frayz clio today with ASTs and drove lovely,but i think he has custom spring set up.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I thought that digressive values were worse on roads, from the little I have read they seem to suggest that it has some benefits as long as you enjoy a rough ride.

I have the BR series with 8/8 and its not too bad on the road, although I don't daily it anymore I drove to Bristol and back and it felt pretty good.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
No mate it wont be going on track,i did look at the BR kit but are the DS series not a bit better of a damper with the digressive valves?. @Mr Underhill

I spoke to mark @Jekyll and he had BR with 4kg F & 8kg R.

I drove @frayz clio today with ASTs and drove lovely,but i think he has custom spring set up.
I've never run the BR series, to be honest, just the DS. However, the spring rates seemed to be closer to what you're looking for. But if BC says they'll do a softer spring, even better, I guess. And you can always try other spring rates if you don't like the 6/6kg setup.

I'm not sure what Frayz runs, but AST generally recommends 7kg all around for road use. I ran the ASTs with 7kg springs on my RB for a little while, combined with my Recaro Pole Positions, and I hated it.

Even though I've since upgraded the springs, they're more comfortable in the circuit car because I have a slightly wider seat with more cushioning.

I could happily sit in that car and drive to London without feeling uncomfortable. It's amazing how much difference a good seat makes. My RB is back to the factory spec now and it's soft, quiet and compliant. I love it!

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Reply back from BC

"The BR Series would be more suited to road use, the DS would be more suited to track use due to the digressive damping, in terms of spring rates I would still recommend the 4.5/6kg/mm kit"

I think i will go with the BR series then,but still have doubts on the fronts being to low 4.5kg.But i guess i can always change them if i do need to for a higher rate spring.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Would you say 6kg to low on the rear?.

I think i will just get either kit and then go from there,if not happy will just change the springs.Thanks gents👍🏻
No, I think that'll be spot on. A good damper will do a better job if the springs are not too stiff. They'll handle potholes better and help maintain contact between the tyres and the road.

I got a real education after talking to AST about having the rear stiffer than the front. I was always used to having a heavier front spring. I convinced myself the car would be more predictable. Now it's like a pram that never turns over haha. The grip is unreal.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Mines road and track.

I’ve got 6F 8R in mine with a proper geo and it’s pretty damn good tbh.

Maybe a touch on the soft side on track when really pushing on. But it’s a road track car, not a race car.