ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Been reversed into

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Got our Tiguan reversed into last night which has pushed the one parking sensor in and smashed the bumper a bit.

Having never made a claim before I'm unsure how to go about it as I want it put back to how it was.

Do I go through my insurer or theirs?

Can I get it fixed at VW to ensure original parts and paint are used?

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
You ring your insurer and they will contact their insurance. Just tell them all the details you have from them such as name, address, postcode, email address, who they're insured with and phone number etc

They will sort the rest, then they will give you a choice of approved bodyshops/coachbuilders. It will be done to a high standard usually if it's through insurance and it's usually guaranteed for like 3 years too as they do a bang-up job typically

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
If you have someone who's fully admitting fault and have given you the details, use an Accident Company such as Accident Exchange.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Contacted the insurer now, thanks folks. For future information though how does accident exchange work?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Look forward to having a none fault claim
For the next 5 years.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I’d always go direct to the other person’s insurance if they’ve admitted fault. Less messing around with multiple people in the chain and they are well used to dealing with things that way so it’s no issue.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Would I be best to get in contact with their insurer then, I was just concerned they wouldn't see it in our favour like our own insurer

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Just go to your own insurer. Why go to theirs and hand control of the repairs over to the people that are paying for it? Your insurance company should (in theory) be looking after the claim and ensuring it’s done to the correct standard. They will then be reimbursed by the insurance of the at fault party.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Would I be best to get in contact with their insurer then, I was just concerned they wouldn't see it in our favour like our own insurer

Your own insurer won’t be interested in taking your side, they will just want to get the claim processed. You don’t really have any control over the quality of repair because your contract with them has all sorts of terms around using their approved repair facilities, etc

The key question is has the other party admitted it was their fault?

If the other party has admitted liability and you go to their insurer then you have control and can negotiate what’s best for you as you don’t have those restrictions. If they don’t play ball or the other party changes their story then there’s nothing to stop you going back to your own insurer or an accident management company.

Things like choosing your own repairer or getting a like for like courtesy car will probably be easier. It’s in their interest to sort you out, as if you go to an accident management company they know it will cost them a lot more.

If the other party hasn’t admitted fault, it’s not really an option and just go through your insurer.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Look forward to having a none fault claim
For the next 5 years.
For me personally - if that's just a marker against your policy - then so be it. If you get penalised for it over the next five years, then that's out of order.

Having paid into this corrupt system for the past 22 years (and never claimed) - I'd be livid if someone hit my parked car, I got it fixed and then faced a considerably higher premium the following year.

I get the concept to reduce people taking the piss - chucking a non-fault claim in every six months. But in the same sense, when one incident has nothing at all to do with your type of car, your occupation, your number of years driving - and your car has clearly been damaged - why should you get financially done over for it?

Will be interesting to see what happens in the OP's situation.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Going straight to the 3rd party insurer enables you to keep control.

You can chose your own repairer too.

However I would only go to 3rd party if it is 100% their fault and have evidence to support this.

I’ve unfortunately had 2 instances this year and the latter one denied hitting me and her insurance argued with me over liability. Once I sent them the footage from rear facing dash cam they were left with no option but to accept liability. They were not very happy that their client had lied to them though!

I refused to use their ‘recommended’ ‘approved’ bodyshops as we all know Liquid Yellow is a bugger to paint properly.

If you go direct to them they will often say you can’t deal with them direct but this is absolute rubbish, hold your ground and don’t take any crap.

Involving accident management companies just ramps up the final costs!!

Clio 197
For me personally - if that's just a marker against your policy - then so be it. If you get penalised for it over the next five years, then that's out of order.

Having paid into this corrupt system for the past 22 years (and never claimed) - I'd be livid if someone hit my parked car, I got it fixed and then faced a considerably higher premium the following year.

I get the concept to reduce people taking the piss - chucking a non-fault claim in every six months. But in the same sense, when one incident has nothing at all to do with your type of car, your occupation, your number of years driving - and your car has clearly been damaged - why should you get financially done over for it?

In general, you do end up with a higher premium the next year due to a non-fault claim as you are statistically more likely to have another accident. Of course there are exceptions, such as if you live in the middle of nowhere or have been driving for 60 years or something.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
In general, you do end up with a higher premium the next year due to a non-fault claim as you are statistically more likely to have another accident. Of course there are exceptions, such as if you live in the middle of nowhere or have been driving for 60 years or something.
I see what you're saying - but this is where logic just falls apart. I could have parked in the local supermarket for the last ten years and not had an issue. I then do a road-trip and into the wilds of northern Scotland, get reversed into outside a newsagent and then get 'black flagged' as a higher risk?

At what point would any statistics state that I'm now far more likely to get damaged on every tenth visit to the local supermarket, once home - and that claims made by myself for damage with now be a regular occurrence? It's crazy - and if you want to go all 2019 about it - it could be argued as being discriminatory and a personal slant on me as a driver, through zero fault of my own. Of course, that sounds ridiculous to say that, but if you look at the facts, that's pretty much what's happening.

You have a legal obligation to pay for insurance and cannot back out of that. It should be a safety net to be used in the unlikely (and unwanted) event that something should go wrong. A small proportion of people try to take advantage of that - I indirectly knew of a woman who would 'accidentally' drop a tin of paint on her carpet when she wanted a new one and put a claim in for it. Hopefully the frequency of these people claiming just highlight that they are scroates and should be severely penalised for it. But the vast majority of us should not be tarred with the same brush.

I see a huge chunk of my wage disappear every month into that black hole called 'tax and deductions'. I know that perhaps a large part of that is wasted through what the Govt. thinks is relevant at the time - but at least I see some benefit for it. Car insurance is nothing but a legally enforced industry of gambling - trying desperately to balance your perceived risk versus how much you're willing to pay. So you pay this money to drive a car, simply because you have to. And then we'll factor in your job. And then we'll factor in your postcode. And then we'll factor in if you have kids. And then we'll factor in your annual mileage. The list goes on - all the while seeing some random number generator fire out a quote to you once a year, and you begrudgingly making a payment for it.

If I could, I'd rather blow the whole lot instead on Lottery tickets. Again, at least I'd feel (if not directly see) a benefit from doing so...

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

I find it depends on the insurer, if you go with the cheapest around each year then they will stick the price up.
If you spend a bit more each year and stick with the same insurer they don't put the price up even if your at fault, certainly my experience with the NFU anyway.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Bit of a resurrection but I've just washed it today to find the lacquer on the front bumper respray has begun to peel! Not impressed, being reversed into has wasted a lot of our time!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Bit of a resurrection but I've just washed it today to find the lacquer on the front bumper respray has begun to peel! Not impressed, being reversed into has wasted a lot of our time!

Contact those that paid out to have it rectified, as it's been done s**t.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Thus will be the third time they had it after Stevie Wonder did the first attempt

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Thus will be the third time they had it after Stevie Wonder did the first attempt

Kick off too, as in REALLY boot off and explain you're sending a file to the Insurance Ombudsman. Say it like Max though out of Max and Paddy.