ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Been too low - It could loose you your licence !!?

Renault Clio 16v 1.2
I was watching cops camera action or something like that the other night and the traffic cops pulled over this young lad in a VW passat, I wondered why he pulled him over for a start and then I realized that it was because he was "Dangerously low" (Which I didn't think he was). He was sat on coilovers, wide spacers and Porshe alloys... But in the end the copper checked his tyres and they had signs of rubbing, the young lad said that it he has had his arches rolled now so it doesn't rub any more but the copper thought it was still dangerously low because he couldn't fit his finger between the top of the arch and the tyre, So the 17 year old lad got 3 points and a £60 fine, because he already had 3 points from when he had his Ped and he was within his first two years of driving (Only allowed 6 points in first two years to loose it), so he got reverted back to a provisional licence holder !!!...

Just wondered if anyone has had this problem with the police before?
But I thought the copper was been far too harsh (Only my opinion) Lad wasn't even a dick either so no one could off got out of this!

Comments...?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
that wasnt fair tbh, i know theres a law about how much suspension travel you have, but the fact he couldnt put his fingers in the arch is slightly irrelivant. he must of been bored

All I can think of reading the OP is...

alyson-hannigan-american-pie-2.jpg

"This one time, at band camp."

GTD, Lupo
I had one or two problems with my old Golf. When you lower a car you change the impact points of the car when in a accident.

Most people bottom coilovers out when the manufactures normally only give a range of 60-90mm you are going against what the product is aimed at. Best bet is not to go silly and avoid your sidewalls with the arch. They have a zero tolerance on sidewall damage.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Load of crap. Been stopped countless times and sent on my way again.

Renault Clio 16v 1.2
I had one or two problems with my old Golf. When you lower a car you change the impact points of the car when in a accident.

Most people bottom coilovers out when the manufactures normally only give a range of 60-90mm you are going against what the product is aimed at. Best bet is not to go silly and avoid your sidewalls with the arch. They have a zero tolerance on sidewall damage.

Yeah, I got told this ^ your not allowed damage on your side wall, weakest point of a tyre!

Renault Clio 16v 1.2
Apparently there bringing new guidelines out in MOT testing now and it includes being too low, such as rebound clearance etc...

Ph1 Williams No: 112
It would almost certainly be because of the tyre damage, not being too low as such. I used to get stopped all the time but as long as there is nothing damaged or whatever because of it.. you should be okay. Regarding MOT, my car had to go on a truck inspection pit because it couldnt get on the rollers, and just drive it to check the brakes but still passed.. so if it passes MOT without having to raise it i'd say its okay personally.

Clio 182
I doubt he got points for being too low, more likely he got points for a tyre which has worn to an illegal limit(below 1.6mm) which was probably caused by rubbing due to being too low.

Flame Red 172
you think that the copper would have just issued an advisory notice to get the rubbing sorted or just give him a fine, thats well harsh to give him another 3 points i reckon thats stupid, he says young drivers are the biggest risk how was he a risk seriously ??

Apply a bit of common sense and it's obvious to see why the copper thought he was a risk - it's not simply for the car being "too low" it's because of the arch coming into contact with the tyre, if that happens often enough then bang you have a blowout on your hands. It's not difficult to figure out.

you think that the copper would have just issued an advisory notice to get the rubbing sorted or just give him a fine, thats well harsh to give him another 3 points i reckon thats stupid, he says young drivers are the biggest risk how was he a risk seriously ??

I've had an advisory before, had 14 days to get it sorted. A lot can happen to a tire in 14 days.

0 tolerance when it comes to tires and quite rightly so.

EDIT: f**king LOL @ those sidewalls. Would I f**k get in a car with sidewalls in that state.

Last edited:

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I cant see him getting points for being too low, points can be issued on tyre quality. So if the tyre was damaged thats why he'd get point IMO.

Yes the state of tyres is a knock on effect of being low but shitted tyres can also be a knock on effect of a powerful car. Servicing tyre just becomes paramount.