ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Being Tightfisted !

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
I have a novice day booked for the 1st of march at brands hatch , I have a 197 that has fresh rubber all round , I will be doing fluid changes as well before the day .

I just wanted to know if anyone would recommend that I upgrade my brakes ? I was only thinking of doing disks and pads on the front , I have found some ebay specials that are drilled and vented . If i was to fit these will I also need uprated pads or will replacement road going brembos do the job well enough ?

any other track day advice is welcomed as this is all new to me !

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Just my personal opinion.
Don’t bother with drilled discs, they do nothing for performance and are likely to crack. Some plain Brembo HC discs will be perfect.
Add to those a good quality pad. Many people like the Ferodo DS2500, although I prefer the offerings from performance friction such as the 01, 05 or 97.
Those alongside some fresh fluid such as Motul RBF660 will see you fine.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Hi there,

If you're talking about tighfisted then fear not, a Yorkshirenan is here to help with that.

As above, just plain HC Brembo discs and something like DS2500 or M1144 will suffice. If you have a tad extra cash go for PBS pads all round

Just make sure you can cool them down a bit with some ducting or something like that because you'll notice they will fade, 197/200/225/R26/175 all have terrible brake cooling as standard I've found

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Would suggest that if it your first track day, possibly upgrade the front pads (I use Mintex 1144's and theyre really good imo) and that's it

Maybe get a turkey baster and remove some power steering fluid and put in a empty plastic water bottle, and take some fresh to put back in after (Dispose of removed stuff sensibly)

PS- Dont go 100mph on your first lap cos everyone else does, warm up, take it easy, and monitor tyre pressures. If you love your motor then dont drive to the limit all day, then it wont let you down :)

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
Hi there,

If you're talking about tighfisted then fear not, a Yorkshirenan is here to help with that.

As above, just plain HC Brembo discs and something like DS2500 or M1144 will suffice. If you have a tad extra cash go for PBS pads all round

Just make sure you can cool them down a bit with some ducting or something like that because you'll notice they will fade, 197/200/225/R26/175 all have terrible brake cooling as standard I've found

Much Appreciated for the advice , the disks are brembos and almost new so I will just replace the pads :)

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
Would suggest that if it your first track day, possibly upgrade the front pads (I use Mintex 1144's and theyre really good imo) and that's it

Maybe get a turkey baster and remove some power steering fluid and put in a empty plastic water bottle, and take some fresh to put back in after (Dispose of removed stuff sensibly)

PS- Dont go 100mph on your first lap cos everyone else does, warm up, take it easy, and monitor tyre pressures. If you love your motor then dont drive to the limit all day, then it wont let you down :)
Thanks I plan on building it up slowly & not just going nuts straight out of the gate :)

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
Just my personal opinion.
Don’t bother with drilled discs, they do nothing for performance and are likely to crack. Some plain Brembo HC discs will be perfect.
Add to those a good quality pad. Many people like the Ferodo DS2500, although I prefer the offerings from performance friction such as the 01, 05 or 97.
Those alongside some fresh fluid such as Motul RBF660 will see you fine.

Fluid was changed about 1500 miles ago at max and my front disks are brembo and almost new so I get to skimp out and just do new pads , thanks for the advice (y)

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
One other thing if this is your first Trackday, take the following 2 items:

Compressor to pump your tyres back up at the end of the day. You may find you let some air out after your first session as the tyres will heat up far more than they do on the road. The air inside will expand and subsequently your pressures will increase beyond what is optimum.

Torque wrench - check your wheel nuts before and after every session. Additional heat in the hubs along side additional loads on track can cause the wheel fasteners to relax. It’s just good practice to check.

Take your time, build your speed, stay safe and have fun. 🙂

Nick101

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197 !
One other thing if this is your first Trackday, take the following 2 items:

Compressor to pump your tyres back up at the end of the day. You may find you let some air out after your first session as the tyres will heat up far more than they do on the road. The air inside will expand and subsequently your pressures will increase beyond what is optimum.

Torque wrench - check your wheel nuts before and after every session. Additional heat in the hubs along side additional loads on track can cause the wheel fasteners to relax. It’s just good practice to check.

Take your time, build your speed, stay safe and have fun. 🙂

I've got a little plug in pump as I was aware that my pressures will change and im taking a small box of tools which includes a torque wrench , digital pressure gauge , spare oil, coolant and clean pants :ROFLMAO:

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
cheers @Typhoon

send me a message @Nick101 I can get you sorted with pads and pins. If you've recently changed your front discs to Brembo, and refreshed fluid to something decent some pads will be fine mate