ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bentley GT3 - Abu Dhabi 12hr & British GT 2014

Aston Martin Vantage
Some of you may know that I do a bit of racing (used to race Aston Martin GT4's in the European GT4 Championship etc), well for 2014 I am lucky enough to be racing in the British GT championship in the brand new Bentley Continental GT3 race car. Our family team have bought the car and will be running it. We have chassis number 3, which is the first customer car to be sold. Chassis's 1 & 2 are test cars, ours number 3, 4 & 5 will be the Works Bentley cars which are doing the Blancpain Endurance Championship.

Here's a link to the Autosport Story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111804

As the Bentley was doing its first race (more as a test) in Abu Dhabi this weekend just passed with the works team, my Dad and I went out to watch. Here are some photo's I took:

11455746964_b6f549ef27_c.jpg

11455692585_71ab5d6dd0_c.jpg

11455735044_c81327b432_c.jpg

11455794946_3b562ab878_c.jpg

11455696434_ebcfb078bf_c.jpg

11455804143_128d02dc59_c.jpg

11455685514_9bf2bb045c_c.jpg

Car showed good pace, qualifying P4 and finishing P4, was running P3 for majority of the race but dropped back in the final stint after a slow pit stop. We receive our car at the end of January and start testing in early Feb.

The money spent on the track/facilities and surrounding area is unbelievable..

11455708934_da4e063d42_b.jpg

11455541256_b3163d21fc_c.jpg

This was outside our hotel all weekend:

11455529006_feaf340578_c.jpg

All in all a pretty decent weekend away, definitely a place worth visiting if you ever get the chance!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Stayed on yas at the crown plaza and yas hotel (one over track) going back in march to stay again, wicked place to stay, did you go on formula rossa? I did it 4 times :) want to go to the new waterpark too :)

Hard to imagine a bentley race car, not exactly the lightest or nimblest cars that come to mind.

Good luck!

And that purple lamb is proof that money can't buy taste in that part of the world.

Lotus Elise
Superb, how competitive do you think you'll be in the first season?

Car looks the dogs. V.jealous

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
What does the Bentley weigh in its stripped out form? They cant be a kick in the balls off 2t in the road going version?

Cup In bits
The Bentley has just been homologated by the MSA and there is an article in this months news. Being a GT car they are all power/weight/aero restricted to even the playing field but iirc its somewhere around 1400kg.

As wee man has said it finished 4th in its first race which was planned as a shakedown but ended up a lot more, its an m-sport built car and pretty cool IMO.

page 8

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/newsletter/MSA_News_44_1213.pdf

Last edited:
Would you mind clarifying the entries please? Are M-Sport directly running any cars in the BES (I noticed they've been hiring Race Engineers specifically for BES) or are 3, 4 & 5 doing BES as whichever customer they are, under the Bentley name?

It's the C of G height that really hurts cars like the Bentley, it's going to be tens of centimetres higher than the 458/MP12c/SLS etc.

They're all performance balanced at the start of the season via ride height, boost & inlet restrictors etc. anyway so in theory have identical ultimate pace to the rest of the field.

EDIT: Beaten to it on the "Balance of Performance" front.

Last edited:
  Aston Martin Vantage
Would you mind clarifying the entries please? Are M-Sport directly running any cars in the BES (I noticed they've been hiring Race Engineers specifically for BES) or are 3, 4 & 5 doing BES as whichever customer they are, under the Bentley name?

Yea M-Sport will be running two cars in BES (chassis no's 4 & 5). We are racing ours under the team name of Generation Bentley Racing banner in British GT. But then also looking to sell seats to people who want to race it in other things such as BES or VLN etc. tbh anything that doesn't clash or effect the British GT rounds, we will look at doing.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
This is hyper baller.Gorgeous race car and setting.How much does a season cost to race at this level ?

Englebert will spaff in his Calvins when he see's this.

Aston Martin Vantage
This is hyper baller.Gorgeous race car and setting.How much does a season cost to race at this level ?

Englebert will spaff in his Calvins when he see's this.

For a British GT season, it's about £350k to run the car, that obviously doesn't include purchasing it in the first place, which was scary enough :-(

So yea if any of you work somewhere that wants to sponsor the team and in return there is a whole list of benefits then please feel free to hook me up. I need to find about 150K sponsorship, which can be broken down into smaller amounts etc etc.

10% finders fee in it for you ;-)

Aston Martin Vantage
The Bentley has just been homologated by the MSA and there is an article in this months news. Being a GT car they are all power/weight/aero restricted to even the playing field but iirc its somewhere around 1400kg.

As wee man has said it finished 4th in its first race which was planned as a shakedown but ended up a lot more, its an m-sport built car and pretty cool IMO.

page 8

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/newsletter/MSA_News_44_1213.pdf

Yea they have got the car down to 1300kg, but we will see what happens at the Balance of Performance, they may ask weight to be put in or allow more weight to come out. Either way the car has be designed brilliantly by M-Sport, they have literally got everything as low as possible as you would expect from a company of their calibre.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
For a British GT season, it's about £350k to run the car, that obviously doesn't include purchasing it in the first place, which was scary enough :-(

So yea if any of you work somewhere that wants to sponsor the team and in return there is a whole list of benefits then please feel free to hook me up. I need to find about 150K sponsorship, which can be broken down into smaller amounts etc etc.

10% finders fee in it for you ;-)

Give you a tenner! ;)

Unfortunately I think the company I work for has their motorsport commitment sorted for the timebeing :(

http://lotusf1team.com/-emc-.html

Merc A class
Awesome as above i was hoping to get there this year but things have changed hopefully see you trackside in 2014! :)

Aston Martin Vantage
Short video that Bentley posted from this the Abu Dhabi Race:

Our car arrives in less than a month now…EXCITED.COM!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The amount of jealousy I have for you and your father is not even measurable.

Tangoed Works
This is fantastic. Was at a GT3 race at brands hatch this year courtesy of a colleague who sponsored Rik Parfitt. These machines are unreal!

When you buy the car does the factory supply the support or do you need to fund that separately as well? Must be around £1m minimum to enter, purchase car and run these things for a season no?

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
That looks and sounds the absolute b****cks. Maybe one day i'll get a chance to do something like that.

Aston Martin Vantage
Hey Guys

No we sold our car after racing it in British GT last. It's gone to a team out in china. Focussing on the business at the moment but still doing race tuition, some of which is with a manufacturer in their new hypercar, will post pics of that as and when I can