ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best 1.6 car to buy for up to 3.5k

M

mini-valver

VTS or Gti. Drive one and make up your mind. Cheap to run, bulletproof engine and a brilliant chassis.

In between cars....
Polo gti's are nice little cars

1.6 16v, 125bhp, think theyre a group cheaper than 106 gti's

Z4
ok well are they comfortable the 106s and are there many good examples or are there alot of badduns out there lol. Also what insurance group is it. i have been looking at the 1.4 mg zr's i know there alot of problems with these but they look a crackin little car for the price anyone heard much about these or recomend them

Mg zr is a good little car tbh, the guys off here will say otherwise though as they know everything about everything :)

The only real issue is the head gasket failure, make sure you look for all the signs when buying it and you should be fine. I owned one for 3 years with no faults at all, so much more reliable than my cup!

Personally, I'd go for the 1.8 though, much more torque, better spread of power and much more tunable. Barely any more money on insurance and petrol too.

Other options are festa zs, saxo vts, 106 gti, and my wildcard: puma 1.7, cracking little car for the money.

172 Exclusive... For Sale
106gti all the way, breathng mods and youll sit with 182's

Quoted for truth.

I've had a 106 Rallye S2, Clio Cup 172 and now a phase 1 Exclusive, the Rallye was the best driving car and most fun.

Hard to find an unabused one imo although i've not looked in last month.

182 Trophy
Quoted for truth.

I've had a 106 Rallye S2, Clio Cup 172 and now a phase 1 Exclusive, the Rallye was the best driving car and most fun.

Hard to find an unabused one imo although i've not looked in last month.

too right mate, most have had gti conversions and if you go on 106rallye.co.uk youll find lots for sale in there, most have had owners who are enthusiasts though so the shells are in top condition, couple that with the low mileage 106gti/vts/c2gt engines theyre throwing in them and youve got yourself an awsome car
high on insurance though after conversion

182 Trophy
do they do the dci 105 or whichever bhp it is, in the ph2 clio? or is it just in the newer ones
dads got a megane estate dci106 and thats very quick for what it is, he likes it more than his 197 because of the economy he gets lmao

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
+1

Or a 1.6 16v RSI. Got loads of fancy toys and half leathers and looks nice for a mk2ph1... then again... i am pretty biased ;)

But I would definately say a 1.6 clio... cheap(ish) on insurance and performance is often quicker than the book figures!!!

For example: Parkers says 0-60 is 9.6 i think, went out the other day to test my GTech meter, it was a wet day and i had 1 passanger... on the 3rd run managed to get 9.56.. and ive never tried a 0-60 run before that... still think there was s**tloads of room for improvement! Tbh if the rev limiter was increased in 2nd gear to allow 60 in that (currently tops off at 56/57ish mph) then i rekon you could easily shave 0.5-1 sec off that with my sloppy gear changes lol!

Would a re-map not allow that? Or am I talking crap?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Zetec-s low insurance like a go-kart on the right tyres and look fab.
If your insurance would be okay get a gti all the way mate.
Gti = :D club.
Vts = :( club.

145db Euro'd clio
Fiesta zetec s

They are SLOW AS f**k! and dont go up hills. Best bet is a corsa SXI. they are rapid. orrrr golfs. but they are heavy. but still quite quick. Golf's are also very cheap to insire with some comanies as their classed as a family car!

Ph1 172 + Combo van
If you want a normal/ fun newer car get the c2 or a polo gti.

If you want something that is fast/ handles well, get a vts or a gti.

astra coupe on coilovers
They are SLOW AS f**k! and dont go up hills. Best bet is a corsa SXI. they are rapid. orrrr golfs. but they are heavy. but still quite quick. Golf's are also very cheap to insire with some comanies as their classed as a family car!
zetec s aint that slow mate ;)

M

mini-valver

FLOL!!!!

Atenchen rEtardzzz

depends what you compare it to.

LOL

182 Trophy

lmfao at this guy, so all golfs are quick then?, do you know what engines vw put in them or are you one of those people who just thinks theyre quick because theyve heared golfs are
lmao, the weight in golfs is unreal, yes they are reliable, but thats because what vw do to make one, is build a house and then put a set of wheels on it, closing the door might make a nice solid sound, but its like closing the hatch on a sub...

corsa sxi's are the chaviest car known to man, that comment youve made is hillarious, a mighty 1.2 16v, that eco tec engine is terrible, the older ones are better as theyre on a cam chain but apart from that theyre all pants

zetec s's are slow your right in that one, but theyd still paste a chavvy corsa

i dont know though, bad boy max power exhaust and youll be wasting 182's at your local macdonalds ;)

Audi TTS S Tronic
disregarding that corsas are chavvy.

A Corsa 1.8 SRI, insurance cat 9 and it does 0-60 in 8 seconds flat as standard, try and find an equivalent, other than the C2 (which I think looks ugly), in the same insurance group or lower ;)

182 Trophy

A Corsa 1.8 SRI, insurance cat 9 and it does 0-60 in 8 seconds flat as standard, try and find an equivalent, other than the C2 (which I think looks ugly), in the same insurance group or lower ;)

yes but 8 seconds is awfull for a 1.8 16v in something which isnt that big, how can you realy think corsas arent chavvy, theyre the ultimate chav icon
the reason theyre a low insurance group is because 8 secconds is dreadfull

and, the guy erlier said a corsa sxi, not sri

182 Trophy

as for a c2 looking ugly, i strongly dissagree, corsas are dated and look nothing atall, i would have the c2 over it all day

mk5 fiesta zetec s
think i am gonna swap my 1.6 clio for a 106 gti. just like to gooo fassst ;). or a 1.8 astra but not to sure about that

Audi TTS S Tronic
yes but 8 seconds is awfull for a 1.8 16v in something which isnt that big, how can you realy think corsas arent chavvy, theyre the ultimate chav icon
the reason theyre a low insurance group is because 8 secconds is dreadfull

and, the guy erlier said a corsa sxi, not sri

I wasn't saying that they aren't chavvy, I said DISREGARDING that they are chavvy, meaning, they are chavvy, but ignore that point.

he wants something cheap to insure.

8 seconds, that is not dreadful at all :eek: for you to cut just over a second off to insure a Clio 182 cup, the insurance category doubles! I think that it is a VERY reasonable 0-60 time for such a low insurance category

Corsas are dated? Sorry, I didn't realise that they released the new shape in 2006... :approve: making the C2 more outdated as that was released in 04, latest.

and as I said, I THINK that the C2 is ugly, I just don't like cars like all of the newer shape cars that are coming out, they all have massive rears and I dislike them.

Anyways, I would stick with the Corsa 1.8 SRI, or... even consider a Vauxhall Astra 1.9 CDTi 16V (150ps) and get it remapped :)

get a corsa sri, cheap to buy, ''cheaper'' to insure and fast enough for what you'll be using it for, may not be as quick as its adversaries mentioned saxo/106 etc but imo they are much more contemporary and solid. I got a 05 facelift and its much better than my dynamique all round. . .as for the chav thing, its not, however 1 slip with a modification and its over.

I ve got a Fiesta Zetec S you can have for less than 3.5k.
1 previous owner, yr 2000 W plate, 34k! Minty mint in silver, pm me if interested.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I quite like the Zetec S tbh. Would have it over a Corsa, just not a fan at all!

The missus has a 1.0l C2, build quality is appalling and the fans have stopped working. It's only 4 years old as well. Cost her 3 grand!

In all honesty I would by a good nick DCi 80 and have it remapped over any 1.6.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Who the f**k let this doofus in??

Golfs Are slow. Unless 'Golf' is followed by R32.

Corsa SXI's are not 'Rapid'.

Fiesta ZetecS are very very good cars.

Now, runalong.

182 Trophy
Who the f**k let this doofus in??

Golfs Are slow. Unless 'Golf' is followed by R32.

Corsa SXI's are not 'Rapid'.

Fiesta ZetecS are very very good cars.

Now, runalong.

well said old chap, glad someone is with me on this one
what a goon that kid was