ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best 46" LED 3D TV for under £900?

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
I'm after a new tv this month and haven't really got a clue what I'm looking for!! Is it best to go for edge lit or back lit ?? Are the glasses that require batteries better then the ones without ???

Looking to spend under a £1000 really....

Cheers

CBR1000RR Fireblade
If you don't mind a slightly smaller screen than 46 inch you can get a Samsung LED 40 inch for £399. I have the 32 inch version of this telly for my Xbox and the picture is really good.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
for under a grand you can get some far better TVs than an "LED" 3D one

does it have to be 3d?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
If you don't mind a slightly smaller screen than 46 inch you can get a Samsung LED 40 inch for £399. I have the 32 inch version of this telly for my Xbox and the picture is really good.

+1. Just got a Samsung 32" LED Smart TV and its awesome tbh.

MK3 GTI golf 16v

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I've got my heart set on an led 46" really.... Just got back from currys and saw this ...

It has the glasses without the batteries and is also wireless!!! But are LG any good ?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
LG are ok, not one of my favourites, probably the lowest end of tv brands i would buy.

if youv just been to currys did you talk to the bloke ? because they are full of s**t and just try to make you spend money. they also set all the tvs up to make more expensive ones look better, when they might not be. you might know that but just letting you know.

i would recommend looking at a plasma and led next to each other, both set up the same and of similar spec. see which picture you prefer, personally i prefer plasma's purely because they dont blurr with fast movement and the colours look better. leds are very sharp, might like it might not but it can look a little odd on a 3d tele when in 2d mode.

that tv does look fairly good, but doesnt have very good reviews, you could do better for the money

dk

911 GTS Cab
i would buy this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-viera-tx-p42gt30b-42-full-hd-plasma-3d-tv-09919633-pdt.html

i
f your going for a 3D tv then basically you have to buy a plasma. anyone who buys led/lcd ones must be mad. there nearly all terribly blurry due to refresh rate, it gives me a horrible headache watching lcd/led 3D tvs. even with the 3d off

the refresh rate on plasmas are so high that they dont blur at all with movement on the screen, and the colours are better

rubbish, thats all i'll say, rubbish.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
what is.... granted there are good led/lcd tvs but i am yet to see one. i have no doubt there are some

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Agree I hate led screens there are very few impressive ones that don't have any issues.... Light bleed, blur etc...

As for 3d I would go active glasses you get a better 3d than on passive glasses but there is a huge price difference in glasses...

I after buying a led screen and changing it for A plasma would go plasma....

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
The Panny GT and VT plasma tv's are the best tv's out there at the minute bar none.

Check out some online reviews and av forum and you'll see why.

I'm buying a 46GT next month. I'm no plasma fanboy but after spending hours researching tv's I know there is no better tv out there for the money (VT is the top of the range model so is more expensive).

Nippy white cup
Agree I hate led screens there are very few impressive ones that don't have any issues.... Light bleed, blur etc...

As for 3d I would go active glasses you get a better 3d than on passive glasses but there is a huge price difference in glasses...

I after buying a led screen and changing it for A plasma would go plasma....

I admittedly haven't researched any TV's but when I had a look at a Samsung LCD Smart TV with the active glasses it looked pretty pin sharp to me..maybe I'm missing something with the apparent blurring?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I admittedly haven't researched any TV's but when I had a look at a Samsung LCD Smart TV with the active glasses it looked pretty pin sharp to me..maybe I'm missing something with the apparent blurring?

All LEDs suffer clouding issues (in the same way Plasma's suffer from IR).

Its a case of picking the right TV for you.

dk

911 GTS Cab
All LEDs suffer clouding issues (in the same way Plasma's suffer from IR).

Its a case of picking the right TV for you.

no they don't, it all depends on the unit you get given on the day, you're either lucky or not, IR is a native condition on plasmas though, although they don't suffer as much from it these days.

Inferno 182 CUP
i had a 46" LED Samsung .. s**t picture and always going wrong.

Now have a 51" Plasma .. its amazing!

Rav4
Your eyes can only "refresh" so often, so those opting for 600Hz I think is just a bit overkill. I think 200Hz and you're good.

Both LED & Plasma's have good and not so good bits about them, but I think plasma TV's are certainly more adaptive towards the technology.

I think Samsung do some great LED's, the 7000/8000 series are great.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Panasonic are currently the leaders when it comes to affordable home tv's, they bought out pioneer and use there kuro technology in the high end tv's. Also remember branding isn't always essential it the processing unit of the tv that matters, because 90% of all tv screen you buy will use a samsung/lg screen, just the individual manufacturer puts their own processing unit on it. If i was spending £900 on a tv this is what i would get http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-p42gt30

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
no they don't, it all depends on the unit you get given on the day, you're either lucky or not, IR is a native condition on plasmas though, although they don't suffer as much from it these days.

Samsung and lg etc all say clouding, light bleed and blurring and crosstalk is expected with LCD/led I spoke to both lg and Samsung tech and they both said the same that some level of all issues is expected and you won't get a perfect screen (this is where Dk says his is perfect)

Helped a mate install his panny 65" vt the other day... Was replacing a 60" pioneer... I didn't see the point in the change but it's a very nice screen!!!

I have a lg pz950 plasma 50" in my bedroom, has thx cert etc which I can't see how they can give it unless thx set each display up before being shipped... Which they don't... But for a bedroom it's perfect :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
I have a Sony 40", not a cheap one (there are massive differences in features and quality between and cheap £400 LCD and a £1500 one at the end of the day), had it 2 years now, it is perfect, not a sign of any clouding whatsoever, or bleeding or blurring. My set was from the joint Sony/Samsung factory, although recently I believe samsung have also purchased sonys part.

My dad has an lg, it has clouding, but my Sony has none whatsoever, neither did my Samsung before it.

I've thought about replacing my set with a Samsung 3d, they thing holding me back is that I have a perfect set with no 3d, if I spend a lot of money, I might get a set with issues just to get 3d, it's pot luck as to whether you get any clouding or not, I was lucky, mine has none, that's because not all sets suffer from it, yes the manufacturers will say you can get it, as they want to cover themselves for when people do have it so they don't have to keep changing out sets until the customer gets one without the condition.

It was exactly the same with laptops and dead or fixed colour pixels, yes it can happen on TFT screens, doesnt happen to all, just some, and they will only change the product ,if out of the box it has a certain number in a row or in a cluster.

We had customers in comet buying 2k laptops and they had dead pixels out of the box, nothing we could do, we wouldn't change it as the manufacturer states that as part of the manufacturing process you can get dead pixels, doesn't mean all screens will have it.

The blacks on my screen also couldn't be better, ive been extremely impressed, which is why I havent upgraded, even though I want 3d, I don't want to compromise a perfect set and picture in every other aspect.