ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best graphics card advice

Octavia VRS
Been out of the hardware side of things for a couple of years now but want to gain more knowledge on it again and also back into gaming on the PC.

My home machine is currently a Dell Optiplex GX620 with P4 3.20GHz pro, 1GB RAM and ATI Radeon X600 256MB DVI Graphics Card.

First of all if I get something like Pro Evo 2008 would this card be ok to run it at a decent resolution?

Or what graphics card do you recommend that would be alright for my processor? Also wanting to double the RAM sometime soon

Cheers

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I was thinking of buying a 768mb 8800 Ultra edition but my mate has told me to wait because the 8800 is being replaced soon.

Is this true?

A4 Avant
I've read good articles about the 8800 series. But as posted above I think Nvidia are releasing new cards soon. Might be worth holding on and grabbing a bragain 8800 once the newer card comes out?

Octavia VRS
been looking at some sites the last couple of days and yep the 8800 does seem to have good reviews.

Shows you how long I've been out the hardware game but these graphics carsd should be fine with my P4 processor? Seeing as everything seems to be used with dual core these days

Cheers

A4 Avant
From what I've read again, most games are held back by the graphics card, rather than the processor! 8800 from x600 is a massive step!

I'd imagine you'll be fine!

A red missile
GPU Review compares cards, if you look here you'll notice that theres a slight difference in performance on a x600 and an 8800 Ultra ;) be prepared to part with a f**kload of cash for it though!

Octavia VRS
GPU Review compares cards, if you look here you'll notice that theres a slight difference in performance on a x600 and an 8800 Ultra ;) be prepared to part with a f**kload of cash for it though!

good link that cheers. Fook 400 notes!!!

As long as I can play the new Pro Evo at a decent rate on my current graphics card I'd be happy!

T

thecremeegg

Dont get the Ultra, its not worth the extra cash over the 8800GTX.
I'll be honest and say its prob not worth you upgrading past an 8800GTS as the rest of your PC will hold it back hugely. You'll get one hell of a boost from a GTS as they are superb cards, but you wont unleash anywhere near its potential until you upgrade your other components.
If you can get hold of another 1Gb cheap then definately go for it if you have no plans on upgrading further as 2Gb is really getting used in some games
Also you need to consider your power supply, a card like a GTS will need a good quality (£50+) power supply in order to ensure its stability

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
More importantly, is your power supply up to the job? It should be, but the newer gen of graphics cards need 6-pin connectors for direct power feed themselves.

You don't need masses of power - 500w will be fine. Quality is really more important than quantity in terms of power delivery to your PC.

D.