ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

best hard drive headunit

as dink says, it gets my vote, the 900hdd is an excellent unit, well worth the money

only problem is the way it records the music, its slightly slwer than it could have been

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I really fancy a hard drive unit for my next stereo. Getting fed up with having to make up MP3 CDs all the time I get a new album.

How do you transfer to these devices? Can you just pull the HD out of the unit and connect it to your PC via a USB cable or something?

Lee

BMW M2C

I was thinking about something like this seeing as I cant fit the old autochanger under the seat anymore.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

http://www.empegbbs.comwww.empegbbs.com The Empeg/Rio Car is still the best by far. Its not made anymore though, you can probably pick up a second hand one for about £300 - but it requires an external amp. Another ~£150 for a tuner module (if you can get one). With the tuner module you can use a sony stalk lead to remote control it via the stock steering wheel controls.

SQ is absolutely amazing, features are second to none. Runs linux (boots to playback in a couple of seconds), space internally for 2 laptop drives.

Downside, not faceplate removable - have to pull whole headunit out.

Its a little old now so its only got USB 1.1 and 10Mbit ethernet so might take a little while to upload a music collection initially, nothings come along to touch it though.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Not a head unit and people may not like kenwood for sound quality but the 10 gig music keg I have for mine was a great investment IMO. I can now carry all my music and got it quite cheap on eBay. Ive seen them for under £200 now its discontinued.

ford racing puma

Quote: Originally posted by trailerparktrev on 28 June 2005Why dont you just buy an iPod and an Icelink???

Thats what I was thinking

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by zippyy on 28 June 2005
Quote: Originally posted by trailerparktrev on 28 June 2005Why dont you just buy an iPod and an Icelink???
Thats what I was thinking

If youve ever tried a decent hard-drive based head unit youll realise how much better they are than the currently available ipod solutions are.

Id like to move to a newer solution that didnt involve an external amp, but theres nothing on the market that comes near to my head unit.

I keep thinking about going the ipod route (Ive already got an ipod) but I know that (for me) itd be a big step backwards from my current setup.

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by sn00p on 28 June 2005
Id like to move to a newer solution that didnt involve an external amp, but theres nothing on the market that comes near to my head unit.

my hu runs my front comps just sweet now the are running two-way active

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 28 June 2005
my hu runs my front comps just sweet now the are running two-way active

My HU doesnt have an onboard amp though, so it absolutely requires an external amp. Ive got a genesis profile 4, but Im only using the front 2 speakers anyway.