ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best headlight restore kit?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Anyone got any recommendations for a good headlight restoration kit?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just rub down and 2k clear mate.

The restoration kits don't do anything special. You can machine polish them without the 2k and ceramic coat them but clear coat ads UV protection etc.

If its for the Boxter(?) the lights come out so easily you can just rub them down in the warm.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Just rub down and 2k clear mate.

The restoration kits don't do anything special. You can machine polish them without the 2k and ceramic coat them but clear coat ads UV protection etc.

If its for the Boxter(?) the lights come out so easily you can just rub them down in the warm.

2K clear as in lacquer them?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
2K clear as in lacquer them?
Yes

I guess this would a kit of sorts:

In reality any 2K lacquer/clear coat will probably be fine.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
To add, I've done 3 sets of headlights now, 2 with 1K and the last with 2K, the 2K was by far the best. Its harder and polishes better. The 1K lights scratch quite easily when you wash the car. My father did his lights with one of the restoration polish type kits and they have yellowed in less than a year.

Reactions: Pep

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
What do you polish them up with first?
I wet sand them, if there is no damage I use 600 paper until all the yellow has gone, then go up to 800 then 1200 before spraying. If the headlights aren't too bad I would start with 800.

Once dry I rub down with 1200 to remove orange peel then just get the rotary polish with compound. Others use 1500 then 2000 then polish but 1200 then 1200 with soap seems to work fine for me with no visible sanding marks after.

If you are no clear coating most kits seem to have you start at 6-800 then work up to 2000 before polishing. But you need to add some form of UV protection otherwise they just go s**t again.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I wet sand them, if there is no damage I use 600 paper until all the yellow has gone, then go up to 800 then 1200 before spraying. If the headlights aren't too bad I would start with 800.

Once dry I rub down with 1200 to remove orange peel then just get the rotary polish with compound. Others use 1500 then 2000 then polish but 1200 then 1200 with soap seems to work fine for me with no visible sanding marks after.

If you are no clear coating most kits seem to have you start at 6-800 then work up to 2000 before polishing. But you need to add some form of UV protection otherwise they just go s**t again.

Whats your address mate and I’ll post them down to you 😂

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
1500 wet and dry, 2000 wet and dry, machine polish with some compound, et voila;
90AC6634-CC78-4183-B4D5-12D8CEEC3B3F.jpeg
8F335081-064D-430E-841C-8C515FA0FB06.jpeg

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
IMG-20221022-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20221022-WA0006.jpg

Cheap chemicals, wipe on and wipe off. £20 and takes about 15 minutes. Doesn't last more than a few months, but there's enough in the bottles to do it a few more times. Would probably last longer if you coated the lenses in something afterwards though idk

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I saw a video of a guy fixing A6 headlights with a heatgun, RedBull can and a piece of hose. Insta fix, hole in the side of the bottom end of the can, put the hose in, tape it up to seal and then blow the heatgun down the top of the can. Not a clue what's going on but it fixed the headlights ha ha ha.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I saw a video of a guy fixing A6 headlights with a heatgun, RedBull can and a piece of hose. Insta fix, hole in the side of the bottom end of the can, put the hose in, tape it up to seal and then blow the heatgun down the top of the can. Not a clue what's going on but it fixed the headlights ha ha ha.
Thats acetone smoothing/polishing. They fill the can with a little acetone and then heat it unit it vaporises, the vapor kind of reflows the surface layer on a plastic lens.

Seems to work well however it can also damage plastics and can cause microfractures to appear on the surface.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
  RenaultSport Clio 182
Anyone recommend anyone in the Wolverhampton / West Midlands area to restore Headlights on a 55 plate 182 ?

RenaultSport Clio 182
Thanks Bankrupt_drunk, really struggle for time with work and the family, so hoping to take the easy option. I will have a look at the kit though.