ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best oil for a 172

Just would like some advice on the best engine oil to use for my clio 172. I have 2x5l of halfords silver fully synthetic but I have been told that overall, a good semi is better for this engine. Is fully syn the best for this engine? and what is the best brand you should get?

Ford Fiesta

i use elf excellium 5w40, which is synthetic. got it V cheap from a local contact who I found.

I have posted details already on this site.

really tho pick your brand and use a 5w40 and you should be ok.

Call 01977 603363 and ask for Debra and mention ClioSport..............24lts of Elf Excellium LDX 5W40 fully synthetic for under £70

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

interesting point someone said the other day...

people spend say £40-£50 on a tank of fuel,

so then buying a decent bottle of oil is the same price as a tank of fuel.

The Silkoline ProRace 5w40 Fully Syn oil is reported as one of the best oils to use in this car, we use it all the time... and thats about the same price as a tank of fuel... for the good stuff

Andy

Thanks everyone, I will be using fully synthetic then, plan to change the oil every 3k. Another thing - How much oil does a 172 take??? Is it 4.5l??

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by tiff_needle on 03 September 2005
Thanks everyone, I will be using fully synthetic then, plan to change the oil every 3k. Another thing - How much oil does a 172 take??? Is it 4.5l??

no need to change it that often fella, every 10K will do!!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

i agree, with the silkoline oil there is no need to change it that often. its a more stable oil and does not break down so easily.

dont use a cheap oil even fully synthetic from a main streem highsteet store as this will not have the same properties as the good ones and for the extra £15-£20 over 10k miles its simply not worth it.

we changed from using a well known brand in our staff cars etc at the workshop to the silkoline even changed the gear oil and were totally suprised at the difference in the way the car drove from just the oils.... get the best one... simple.. just not worth not doing it.

Andy

Skoda Fabia vRS

exactly, amazes me the amount of money people are willing to spend on cars, but when it comes to buying oil, they put bloody anything in it, a good synthetic only costs the same as a tank of petrol

The Silkolene PRO S 5w-40 would be my choice at £39.99 for 5L and it will last 12000 miles.

The Motul 300V is also an excellent oil but a little dearer.

Just email me for a price list: mailto:sales@opieoils.co.uk">sales@opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Simon

Halfords are doing buy one get one free on 5w40 (5 litres) if you aint fussy.

Ideal if you intend to trade the car in etc and cant be arsed to fork out

Skoda Fabia vRS

jus put the Pro S in mine today, early indications are that oil temps are down a little from the Shell i was using before, nothing massive but a little

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

found 5 degree drop in oil temp on my turbo audi and quieter and smoother. lifters dont make any noise now and oil is discolouring less with age..

worth it time and again!