ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best online backup solution

2014 Focus Titanium
I'm sick to death of Google Drive and it's shoddy software that has what it seems is unlimited limitations, so therefore I'm going to make the switch. I need online backup, and my requirements are the following (other than decent reliability):

• 200GB Storage
  • Two computers allowed to sync/backup
  • Backup scheduling
  • Bandwidth management
  • Web-based access to data
Also, the ability to transfer 120GB of data from my Google Drive direct to said host would be perfect, seeing as I only have 0.3mb upload here (it took around 40 days to initially upload to google drive!).

​Cheers everyone.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Dropbox does all of that except the scheduled backups... shame really because I use it to backup my main database to daily and its awesome. Maybe the business level Dropbox would be something to look into?

2014 Focus Titanium
For that sort of space why don't you host your own web server ?

I'd have to put said server in the same building as the one that's being backed up, then if there's a fire I'd be screwed :/ If I had another site that would be an option though.

FF Clio 182
I'd have to put said server in the same building as the one that's being backed up, then if there's a fire I'd be screwed :/ If I had another site that would be an option though.

That's entirely up to you where you put it. Like what has been said Dropbox is a good option and then using third party software to automatically copy data across. Only issue with backup services are they are extremely expensive

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Could you put one at a friends/parents house - a NAS with remote access for example ?

You could have one in yours for them - if they felt that way inclined - and you've both got a backup.

Find a friend with Virgin or BT fibre .. might take you less than a month to sync haha :eek:

Last edited:
  2014 Focus Titanium
It is for business use, a NAS drive is an option at home (never thought of that before this post) but to save £10-15 a month I'd rather have an online solution which can be accessed from a phone app and/or any computer.

2014 Focus Titanium
I'd say for your requirements DropBox should be fine. Most services are crap though. Stay away from LiveDrive!

Thanks for that, it seems everyone is advising dropbox. I wanted to use SkyDrive but that's limited 100GB so that's no good, and Crashplan get's great reviews but isn't available in the UK. I'll give Dropbox a go!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Do NOT use Livedrive, it's absolutely s**t. Dropbox is your best bet. Can't you just use the built in backup in Windows to schedule, schedule to back up to C:\WHEREVERYOURDROPBOXIS and that's it done.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
When you sign up be sure to click the "Get free space" link in the top left of your setup screen. They have you jump through some virtual hoops such as "like" on Facebook, setup mobile access, etc but they'll give you 2yrs free space for doing so. I've got something daft like 500Gb free storage atm just for having a Samsung S4, liking on FB, posting pictures of "El Capitan" on Snapchat... I love it but the free version has no scheduling facility so I set my backups to drop to a specific place on my drive then I boot one to Dropbox/Cloud and take the other home on USB.

Considering paying myself for a "business" account if it works long term.

2014 Focus Titanium
Ok, after all that I've decided that a NAS drive will do it. We have a separate building on site which I can run a network cable to and it put the NAS in there.

The thing that swung me was I've just been reading a lot about how secure transferring data is between google drive and DB, and I can't say I'm that trustworthy of all the 3rd party products out there which claim to do so. Then I looked at the logistics of it and with a bit of work and some cable the NAS drive is doable!

Thanks everyone, I didn't think of a NAS drive before this (not sure why!) but it does seem a viable option and it won't rape our internet connection when backing up.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
All my stuff is encrypted and password protected so it makes no difference to me. If someone wants a copy of my invoices they can just ask lol

NAS sounds quicker tbh also but I like the idea of at least one backup being off site which is why I went DB

Rav4
We have to NAS at work, with a two fiber connections between (10.4 network and 169.254 for vmware traffic) and it works brilliantly.

I recommend a QNAP nas from personal experience.

Synology over QNAP.

QNAP support is abysmal, check online reviews.

other NAS alternative would be Netgear ReadyNas.

Thanks,

​G.

Fiesta ST
I've done a lot of NAS devices over fibre links for my customers as a backup solution, I would recommend using a mini UPS for the NAS box also.