ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Starter Camera for Around £400

Mito Sportiva 135
As per title...I know there are probably hundreds of similar threads to this, but as the technology seems to be moving so quickly just wanted to know what the best people would recommend that is just out.

I have been reading quite a reviews and the Sony A230 seems to be getting praise. Is this the replacement for the A200 does anyone know? And where in general is the best/cheapest place to order from (I usually buy higher value goods from a shop but I guess online is best?)

Nikons and Canons were traditionally the best I understand in this market, but if they are roughly equal I would take the Sony everytime as all the other "regular" digital cameras I have bought from them have been so good yet easy to use and manipulate settings without taking an age.

Thanks! :D

182 & Porsche 986
Nikon D40 - should have enough left over for some useful accessories for it too :)

I wouldnt bother with a d40 if you have £400 to spend,
i'd go for a second hand D50 over and d40 anytime which is less than £400 or i'd get a D80 for around £450.

Mito Sportiva 135
I forgot to add I would be wanting a new one.

Have people tried the new Sony range though? For beginners they are meant to be very powerfull in terms of function but easy to use. Or are Canon and Nikon still the ones to go for?

"Navy" N17 TWO
My bad for suggesting the D40 lol - I have one and it's great :)

Canon or Nikon are good to start off with if you plan to expand, get more lenses & accessories etc
I'm not sure if you can get as many add-on's for the Sony ones

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
You should pop down to your local Camera shop, have a play with the Canon and Nikon.

Just to warn you - photography is an expensive hobby!

Mk7 Golf, Daytona600
I've been into a couple of Camera shop and they have all rated the Sony over the Cannon/Nikons for what you get for your money.
Haven't purchased one yet as i need to save some pennies. Also not sure what to get, will be about the same budget, maybe more

I have never been to a camera shop where they have rated Sony over Nikon/Canon?! Yeah you get a lot for your money with Sony, but I think that both Nikon and Canon have better glass, better range of extras and look better too! (IMO).

182 & Porsche 986
My bad for suggesting the D40 lol - I have one and it's great :)

no no i didnt mean it was a bad suggestion, the d40 is a nice little camera for a first dslr but if you have £400 to spend i think you can get a bit more for your money.

as said above best bet is to go into jessops and have a little play with a few cameras and see which you prefer.
if you said your wanting a new one maybe try the new d3000 which has replaced the d40 i think.

Mito Sportiva 135
So...judging by the responses here, there isn't one definitive out and out winner then? Makes life a little more complicated lol.

Any more feedback welcome!

Think of when you buy trainers. You buy which are comfiest for you. Just because your mate wears Nikes, doesn't necessarily mean you should buy those.

My sister has a Canon and I've tried to use it. I know what the buttons do etc, I'm not a complete n00b but I just couldn't get along with it.

It's A Reno
Think of when you buy trainers. You buy which are comfiest for you. Just because your mate wears Nikes, doesn't necessarily mean you should buy those.

My sister has a Canon and I've tried to use it. I know what the buttons do etc, I'm not a complete n00b but I just couldn't get along with it.

I see what you mean, because I suppose if you take a lot of photos, you will be effectively wearing the camera on your hand a great deal.

I am ofcourse used to handling a little point and shoot afterall.
I think I am getting too hung up on spec perhaps.

It wouldn't be CS if I didn't ask...............pics of sister. ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
:lolup:

Go into Currys/Dixons and ask them to show you the demo models (cameras) they have, or if someone local to you can show you what some are like to compare first?