ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault (group) #4..

89 Renault Express
Hallo. Thought I'd drop in with my new school run car. It's my fourth Renault after a string of quite a lot of 90s and 00s Peugeots.

I bought a 2005 Trafic this time last year and was very impressed with it.

PXL_20220408_221531660.jpg

It blew an injector 14 hours into what should have been a 15 hour drive to the south of France, and being the 2.0dci the injector was properly seized in the head, so it was eventually scrapped.
signal-2022-05-18-17-22-55-151.jpg

I relented and bought a brand new Duster, breaking the magic £1200 price barrier for the first time in a decade. It's a 1.5dci 4x4 and has Renault written on the glass, so that's good enough for me. Drives well enough and takes the three kids (2, 5, 6) OK too. Living in the North Pennines at 1100' we get a fair amount of weather, and it seems to cope well with it.
signal-2022-05-01-11-33-52-966.jpg

I then bought a 1989 LHD 1.6d Renault Express van. I have no idea why and the diesel pump is pissing everywhere. I can't drive it to work (I contractually WFH so every drive is business use, which I can't get on a vintage commercial policy) and it doesn't have enough seats for the family.
signal-2021-10-09-180235.jpg

Aaanyway. I needed a car to get the kids to school after half term as they'll be 2 miles away instead of 100m to use breakfast club and so on. I also need to use it once a month for work, usually the Midlands or somewhere in the "North West" which tends to be two hours away. It'd be a bonus if it could be used as a backup family car too.

I'd previously had a 206 GTI, which had been lovely and relatively reliable being a 99 pre-MUX one. But I remembered driving a 172 when working as a valeter and one was traded in against a Ford Direct Focus ST2 and seemed to think they were a tad more spacious. And they have a decent following, so why not?

Hence, I was convinced and bought the first one which came along, blind, from hundreds of miles away, despite knowing it had been sitting for a while and that there was a suspicion it may have previously had a dodgy MOT. I mean, WCPGW?

PXL_20230219_174649248.jpg

I drove it home yesterday and I'm hooked. I can even fit the kids in the back.
PXL_20230219_111843304.jpg

Hopefully I will have a better relationship with it than some of my previous vehicles 🤣

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I need to do that on mine. I'm always wary of them still being damp and rolled back up.

Did you actually remove them fully to clean them up properly?
I just unbolted the bottom loop where it attaches, then pulled them all the way out and shut in the door. Can leave them hung out to dry like that once clean. I did it in the summer though, so dried easily.

89 Renault Express
Not much of an update, but the cooksport springs fitted a few weeks ago were a bit low for around here and got swapped out at the rear to start with, along with some new genuine Cup dampers from RPD.
PXL_20230328_070645898.jpg

It's a bit nose down so will get the same treatment at the front over the next few weeks. The improvement at the rear really shows up the front, I'm sure it'd be great on a track but I'm using this as a practical family car. It's doing that job well enough, I've pulled the sidelight bulbs and left the rubber cover off on a sunny afternoon and the condensation has mostly gone. 800 miles this month and 32mpg isn't that terrible.

Here it is in the dark
PXL_20230327_212342239.NIGHT~2.jpg

And for bonus points a picture of the van too.
PXL_20230327_210032615.NIGHT~2.jpg

89 Renault Express
Just realised that most people will miss the joke of the Clio in the dark there, at the end off Grasshill Causeway.

Here's the duster a bit further along that road.
PXL_20220919_111523953.jpg

Yeah. Not in the Clio.

Clio 3 1.2 Extreme
Pennine roads and lowered suspension dont mix IMHO :)

My base model Clio might struggle up some of those hills - I hope to find out this summer.