ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best tailpipe for power

Skoda Fabia vRS

does it actually have any effect at all ?

and if it does what would the best one to go for be ?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

It does have some effect, although IIRC, a 3" tailpipe only becomes a restriction on performance at about 250bhp.

Integra DC5 Type R

Tailpipes have absolutely NO effect on power, and will give you NO gains what so ever. They are purely for looks, and the back box is for sound and note.

Only a full system will give you power increases, and these will be minimal unless coupled with a decat pipe. The cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system, and only removing this will give you power increases.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I didnt say it will GIVE you power, I was saying that at some point it becomes a restriction to the flow of the exhaust gases if its too narrow.

FRST and 106 GTi

BRUN, assuming your GTT lump is somewhere in the 200bhp, you can go with from 2.25 to 2.5" on the tailpipe.

I would say that 3" is too much for a 1.4lts engine. It will kill by a little the low rpm.

I wouldnt go any further than 2.5"

Skoda Fabia vRS

i was jus wonderin thats all

i do plan to have a 3" minimum tailpipe when i have my powerflow system fitted in 2 weeks.........

the entire system will be 2.25" bore and im gettin the larger turbo elbow and have already ordered the 2.5" turbo pipe......

The actual diameter of the stainless system on my Williams was exactly the same as the standard system I changed it for.

I had braced myself for a slight loss of power by returning to standard, but thats not been the case. I conclude that the de-cat is the only real impediment on a 16V or Willy - probably the same on most cars.

Integra DC5 Type R

are we talking about tailpipe diameter here or the actual diameter of the system? They are not always the same. Obviously.

Skoda Fabia vRS

i was askin about tailpipe.............if the shape or size is at all a contribuying factor in the power stakes..........i dont think they are but thought id ask

Clio 182 cup'd

Quote: Originally posted by Rick_172 on 01 February 2004

Tailpipes have absolutely NO effect on power, and will give you NO gains what so ever. They are purely for looks, and the back box is for sound and note.
You can lose back pressure if you have the wrong bore backbox fitted! so the backbox isnt just there for sound and note!