ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best track tyres?

In my opinion the best track tyres are the cheapest set of half decent road tread you can find. Something like a cheap toyo TR1.

The reason for my opinion, you are not hot lapping, its not a quali session, you don't need mega grip. Its way more fun and more predictable to drive quickly on road tread. The car moves around more and yet it breaks away nice and progressive.

​Flame suit on and waiting.

Road tyres are s**t on track they over heat after 1 lap and go all soft and the car will be a lot less controllable which is a lot less fun. I reckon I'd destroy a set if road tyres on track within a day whereas semi slick track tyres last me a few days.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Road tyres are s**t on track they over heat after 1 lap and go all soft and the car will be a lot less controllable which is a lot less fun. I reckon I'd destroy a set if road tyres on track within a day whereas semi slick track tyres last me a few days.

Bloody hell these track day costs are mounting up lol..

WRX
In my opinion the best track tyres are the cheapest set of half decent road tread you can find. Something like a cheap toyo TR1.

The reason for my opinion, you are not hot lapping, its not a quali session, you don't need mega grip. Its way more fun and more predictable to drive quickly on road tread. The car moves around more and yet it breaks away nice and progressive.

​Flame suit on and waiting.
Take the suit off, you're right. To a certain extent I agree, it's great fun going past the limit of the tyres. However as I found out recently, the performance difference is huge. For a similar price to T1Rs, the R1Rs would see you using your indicator far less.

WRX
Depends how hard you try, I could get 5 or 6 TDs out of Pzero neros.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Anyone mentioned Federal RSR's yet. Loved mine both wet and dry. Saying that i haven't tried anything else.

182cup & 172 racecar
Night and Day, thats the difference.

Adam I would munch a set of zeros in 40 mins.
I know because I have.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Gonna get some Dunlops and cross my fingers it stays dry otherwise ill try my hand at drifting ;) Thanks everyone

WRX
Night and Day, thats the difference.

Adam I would munch a set of zeros in 40 mins.
I know because I have.
Aaah but I grew up watching Gilles Villeneuve as my first racing idol;) I would say having a softer setup would help to a certain extent. Like my R1Rs are still very good after a full day and 180 miles at Mallory, yet you destroyed a set in 70 minutes iirc lol.

WOW so how much would you guesstimate for tyre cost per event.. If using say £400 a set tyres?
Just depends how hard and how long you stay out I guess. But I only got through two sets of tyres last year. About 12,000 road miles and maybe 8 or 9 track days, so you can do it on a small budget.

Chase Racing Clio
We run the dunlops like Tony... but have opted for the 195/55 R15 because they're cheaper than both the 195/50s and the 205/50s. We get a set of 4 fitted for 360 quid! They're definitely the best tyre in the dry, the toyo's are too soft really, hence why they're reasonably decent on damp or cold tracks.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Hi

Been looking for these ( Dunlop dz03g)

£360 is an absolute bargin...where do you get them from ?

cheers

182cup & 172 racecar
Try Mr Tyre Motorsport Birmingham.

​You may get some rubbing issues with the profile, but for that price.

RB 182
Just dug out an old email from Dan @ Mr Tyre... £120+VAT for 205/50/15 and £95+VAT for 195/50/15. This was Nov last year, have sent a follow up email and will call during the week as I need a new set soon. Love these tyres, it's just the price that put me off.

RSR's are very good tyres, Direzza's are a big step up IMO, just need a couple of laps to properly warm up.

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
Big thanks to Tony for pointing me in the right direction. I ordered some Dunlop dz03g on Tuesday and two days later had them delivered. I had them fitted yesterday and went for a drive this morning to see how they where on the road. Bearing in mind I normally run toyo r888.......WOW!!! They are the best tyre I've ever used, they grip even more than the r888, less road noise and are cheaper.

Im very pleased with them and can't wait to try them out on track. I highly recommend them to anyone thinking about a summer/track day tyre.

195-50-15 for £91+vat

I know you can use the Dunlops and R888s on road, but how long do they usually last. Like everyone says the tyres are the only contact from the floor to the wheels so seems unreasonable to not have some road/track tyres after seeing the Dunlops for that price.

182cup & 172 racecar
Better than R888s? :eek:

Might have to try these out then. I still can't believe how good 888s are in comparison to my Michelin road tyres.

Why do you want them on the road? To get the best out of them, you would to be doing well in excess of the the speed limits, and be driving dangerously.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Dedicated trackday tyres should be used for just that IMO. As a compromise the rsr's are a great all rounder

I didn't mean one the road! I think I'm the slowest road driver known to man.

I was talking of a comparison from when I used my standard wheels on track before I got a set of track wheels with R888s.

I'd be after tyres for track only, they'd never see the road.

182cup & 172 racecar
Ah, but you never said that. These pi55 all over 888's in the dry. 888's were only very good because they were cheap (sold at a loss for a couple of years to get everybody hooked), once the price went up. there are much better tyres around for the same money.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Ah, but you never said that. These pi55 all over 888's in the dry. 888's were only very good because they were cheap (sold at a loss for a couple of years to get everybody hooked), once the price went up. there are much better tyres around for the same money.

Well said ;)

I remember moving to RSR's three years ago, getting flamed as 'ditch finders', how things change.

WRX
Definition of ditchfinder...........
I ran out of talent and have to blame something, it had nothing to do with the fact that I misjudged the bend/overestimated my car's potential.