ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best way to check worn brake pads

Black 182
Tried searching for this but no luck, sorry!!! I think my front brake pads need replacing but i'm not 100% it might just be me. What is the best (and easiest) way to see if they are worn and need replacing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Brake pads look like this, one at the back is new, one at the front is worn away:
DSCN2834.jpg

The disk brake will look like this
brake_pads.jpg

Black 182
done it and they look like almost new. only had the car 3 monthes its first mot was in april at a renault dealer so no wonder the pads are new! so is it me just used to the brakes now or could it be sometihng else???

Black 182
the brakes just don't seem as responsive as they used to be, like this morning (they may have been a little damp) the first time i braked it felt like i had to really push on the pedal to stop at the junction

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
could just be the rust on them mine are like that first time i use them.

Black 182
lad at work suggested that. after i wash it should take it for a run really to dry out any water within the wheels to prevent the rust from forming in the first place. also he suggested to get up to a decent speed and brake hard to try and remove the rust??

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Well whenever i wash my car the disks rust up and are pretty crap untill i've done some hard braking.

Clio Sport 182
could try a bit of brake cleaner on them too if you hav got them contaminated they will go really poor