ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Best Wireless ADSL Router

E91 M Sport
As per the title - I'm looking for the best (although pref. cheap!) ADSL wireless router.

It will be hard-wired to 2 hosts (server & x360) and wireless for 2 laptops (802.11G), so nothing major.

Any links to cheapest sites for recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike :)

p.s. Currently got a linksys Wag54g which I will ceremoniously burn when I get a new one - the overheating, cutting out POS will not be missed!! :mad:

Hmm, I have some weird ass setup here.. but my choices would be (for simple plugin and go..)

Best:
Cisco 877w (nearly £500 I think? ;))

Acceptable: (Apparently)
Netgear 834G (I think this is one of the most popular router/modems on the OcUK forums).

:)

Last edited:
  Audi S3 225
i have the netgear dg834gt and its wicked, have my other computer, sisters laptop and 360 connected most of the time and it works fine, never disconnects. The range is very good as well, get good signal all over the house.

def recommend this router and its not even that expensive, i paid around 100 quid with a wireless adaptor, last year probably cheaper now.

Revels Mum & Sister
Have a netgear DG834G, does the job for a reasonable price. Majority of our smaller clients use them.

Mondeo ST TDci
ive got a bt vovayger 2100, less then £40, 4 hard wired ports and wireless. works perfectly :D, iuse 3 hard wired and 2 wireless with it.
Simple and quick to setup too.

Black Clio 182
ive had a belkin one, nothing but trouble

went and brought a D-link one which was shite and cut out every 5 minutes so took it back and got a Netgear one and havent had one problem it it at all so far......touch wood :D

FF Arctic Blue 182
I've got a Linksys WAG354G and it's fantastic. Better then the Netgear and Speedtouch ones I've had previously.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
New linksys kit is million times better than the older generation. Think Mike has been put off though as his unit was particularly unreliable !!

zyxel prestige (about £150) and Draytek Vigor 2800g (£140) ;)

E91 M Sport
Yes, my WAG54G was sourced through a non-preferred supplier which might explain it :rasp:

I would buy Linksys again, but not that model - it had over-heating issues which made the wireless frustrating and unreliable.

The Netgear mentioned above has got good reviews on here and also on the dabs website. At £69 its good value and I'll send it back if I have more wireless troubles.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

RB 182
Rasclart said:
Have a netgear DG834G, does the job for a reasonable price. Majority of our smaller clients use them.

I've installed a good few of these now, really easy to setup and do the trick just fine.

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Hey maaannnnn, you got it cheap, ok !!! ;)

miketheman2k said:
Yes, my WAG54G was sourced through a non-preferred supplier which might explain it :rasp:

I would buy Linksys again, but not that model - it had over-heating issues which made the wireless frustrating and unreliable.

The Netgear mentioned above has got good reviews on here and also on the dabs website. At £69 its good value and I'll send it back if I have more wireless troubles.

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Lee

BMW M2C
I've got the Netgear DG834G. It's been fine for me. My PC is connected to it via cat 5 but I use my Xbox 360 and Ninendo DS wireless. It's been very stable and was a total piece of piss to setup, especially compared to the last router I had.

I had issues with my DS not seeing the network at first, but the latest firmware fixed that.

Megane R26
Have purchased a few of the DG834G's. Been getting refurbed ones of ebay for £40. Have no problem with them. Good range. My wireless DSL Netgear does my PDA in the car when its parked outside the Neighbours :)

E91 M Sport
Netgear 834G turned up this morning - 18 hours to arrive via Dabs, now that's good service.

Noticed the box mentions ADSL2 - will it handle it without any extras?

miketheman2k said:
Netgear 834G turned up this morning - 18 hours to arrive via Dabs, now that's good service.

Noticed the box mentions ADSL2 - will it handle it without any extras?

yea.. do you have ADSL2?

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch/Firewall (NW-017-NG) [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]but mm Cisco Owns Linksys ? :p [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]i got..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Linksys WAG354G 4-Port Wireless-G Broadband Modem Router (NW-044-LS)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]an love it :p
[/SIZE]

E91 M Sport
Just setup my Netgear DG834G - so simple to configure (can tell they're not owned by Cisco ;)) and looks the nuts; like something Apple would produce (except its actually useful in the real-world).

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
shhh you're making it sound like a Tomy "my first router" ;)

miketheman2k said:
Just setup my Netgear DG834G - so simple to configure (can tell they're not owned by Cisco ;)) and looks the nuts; like something Apple would produce (except its actually useful in the real-world).

R

rich[182]

ste_brough said:
I've got a Linksys WAG354G and it's fantastic. Better then the Netgear and Speedtouch ones I've had previously.

That's what I've used for over 6 months, Linksys is also the consumer division of Cisco, the documentation is also very good for anyone configuring one with little experience. It's great performance too for consistent ping times for online gaming

So what if Cisco own Linksys? ;) I've used both (Have Cisco here) and there is a difference.

Think of it like this, Fiat are Linksys, Cisco are Ferrari ;)

New Linksys stuff is good, tho.. apparently. The older range, I never rated much apart from the Access Points.

Last edited:
R

rich[182]

^ Didn't mean Linksys = Cisco quality, But with the new Linksys kit your getting good 'branded' kit for the same price you'd pay for lesser known brands, the browser interface is well presented too. I suppose I'm a tad biased as my job is networking with Cisco routers/switches/pix firewalls but also I've helped support several local small businesses and friends at home and found Netgear kit problematic at best, although many others have had no such probs with Netgear I've maybe been unlucky with it. I agree theres a bit of a step up from Linksys to even the entry level Cisco routers though

172 Cup
I've used Netgear, Actiontec, Linksys, Cisco and Billion routers on my ADSL2+ connection and the Billion's are by far the best routers on the market at the moment.

.Griff. said:
I've used Netgear, Actiontec, Linksys, Cisco and Billion routers on my ADSL2+ connection and the Billion's are by far the best routers on the market at the moment.

Yea, they're quite good.. lots of features, for a decent price.

I find Cisco stuff, for the most part, is very expensive for what you are getting.

I used to have a Pix at home (501) and it was good, solid etc.. but all it did was, um, packet filter. (and VPN)
I've put a m0n0wall in now, and it does everything that did, inc LOTS LOTS more (QoS etc..). The m0n0wall is much more stable, too.

My Cisco ADSL modem tho.. well, it's in another league than the others on my line. It syncs so much better.

Whats the point in talking about cisco commerical routers where most people just need a SOHO router for their home. Linksys / Netgear etc etc they are all pretty much the same. Most people dont need the extra configuration options of a cisco product or any other commercial product and won't appriciate the extra effort involved in configuring one compared to a cheaper effort.

Some of netgear's products have been dodgy in the past but the same can be said for linksys even though they are owned by cisco. Cisco commercial stuff is expensive because of the hardware is more advanced and if you have a 800 series or more you pay through the nose for the quality of the IOS. Then you also pay for the brand name.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
when i setup a modded firmware on my linksys WRT54G to boost the signal strength it was getting too hot so i modded it.....

picture13yz.jpg

picture24zv.jpg

picture31db.jpg

picture45qc.jpg

Sticky ram heatsinks fitted and cut a bit out the top to fit an 80mm LED fan, then made some holes in the front to help the airflow!

EDIT: Fan was only running at 5v so couldnt hear it unless you went right up to it, but router ran very cool

1fast6 said:
Whats the point in talking about cisco commerical routers where most people just need a SOHO router for their home..

The topic is "Best Wireless ADSL Router", so it'd be bad advice to suggest Netgear/Linksys/Belkin/* without even mentioning Cisco.

That would be something similar to a Cisco 877w.. which is a great all in one box..

The 877 is a small office router. Most people won't consider them for home use because they cost too much for what they are. You can get an access router on ebay for what they cost new, i know which one i'd rather have.