ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless Router

1.8 Civic EX
Would getting a new router make much of a difference to my wireless network as regards connection speeds etc?

Just concious that my router is getting a bit old now so may not be performing at it's best. I know very little about this kinda thing, i managed to set up the network myself (2 x Laptops, 2 x iphones, and a 360) but it was more trail and error than anything else lol.

My current router is a Belkin Wireless G 2.4ghz 802.11g whatever that means.

Broadband is virgin 10meg.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I find that Netgear is very much a Ford Focus/Vauxhall Astra equivalent of a router. Loads of them out there and they do what they need to do without worthless addons and configs that only a network tech would want.

The last one I bought was a DGN2000 (http://www.netgear.co.uk/dgn2000.php) and was an absolute breeze to install. The Startup Wizard only wanted the ISP account details such as the account name and password and then it did did pretty much everything else itself. Great kit and easy to use, imo.

If you're feeling a bit more spendy and want a bit more functionality from your router, then Draytek is one that I'd definitely recommend. Their Vigor 2820 series of routers are very capable indeed and have been great to use in the past.

Zyxel are another good brand to consider too. :)

Edit - just noticed your Virgin broadband comment at the bottom. I take it that you have cable TV/broadband? If so, you'd need to look at this Netgear router instead and not the one I mentioned above! :) http://www.netgear.co.uk/wnr2000.php

D.

1.8 Civic EX
cheers Darren, but would changing router make much of difference? I'm thinking along the lines of signal strength etc..

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
cheers Darren, but would changing router make much of difference? I'm thinking along the lines of signal strength etc..

Probably not! Wireless is dependant on lack of interference and thin walls for a good signal beyond line of sight of the router

:bump:

Edit - just noticed your Virgin broadband comment at the bottom. I take it that you have cable TV/broadband? If so, you'd need to look at this Netgear router instead and not the one I mentioned above! :) http://www.netgear.co.uk/wnr2000.php

D.

I have Virgin cable/broadband. DLink router died over the weekend so bought a Netgear N300 (WNR2000 v2)

-Laptop + XBox can access web through router using a cable
-Mobile phone wireless web access is working OK
-Laptop seems to be talking to router
-Router seems to be talking to web
-Laptop wireless web isn't working :banghead:

Screenshots of a few error messages -

errorDNScomm.jpg

errorDNS.jpg

errorIP.jpg

Using Windows7 with Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN with latest driver. Router has latest firmware

Had a quick look in the ipconfig but I'm out of my depth tbh and my head hurts. Any help greatly appreciated :)