ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BHP Figures

172 cup, Civic Jordan
I'm sure this will have been covered before on here before but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything - apologies if it has!

(I'm fairly new on here)

I've read on other forums that a lot (or some) 182s don't make the power they should. In other words, standard cars making way less than the official 180bhp. I've read on other forums stories about cars being rr'd at 160bhp and less!

How can this be?

What would people's comments be on that?

172 A Cupwork Orange™
Basicly the 182bhp is at the fly wheel by the time it has gone through all workings of the car its down to a dif figure usualy different with each car

Last edited:
^^^^maybe not matey .

mine with around 188bhp is only 166 at the wheels , normally a bigger loss than 10bhp iirc 25% ish loss

172 Credit crunch edition
Itg panel filter operator said it was a good engine, He also showed me a few graphs of 1*2's that some made just 150 and others 180

clio 1.7 turbo
I'm sure this will have been covered before on here before but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything - apologies if it has!

(I'm fairly new on here)

I've read on other forums that a lot (or some) 182s don't make the power they should. In other words, standard cars making way less than the official 180bhp. I've read on other forums stories about cars being rr'd at 160bhp and less!

How can this be?

What would people's comments be on that?

well most of the time its done at the flywheel not the wheel because there is more at the flywheel then the wheels

it can only be measured at the wheels on a rolling road and is 'corrected' to give an approximate flywheel figure - different machines do this differently

i'm assuming that manufacturers use engine dynos to come up with their power figures which would be another reason why they're difficult to reproduce on rolling roads

tbh & imo, the numbers game is such a minefield it's just not worth playing

From what I have read, dyno figures at rolling roads seem to vary like hell, they are only good for remapping and seeing what changes you can do with mods?(ie before /after)
The only true flywheel figures are taken when engine is OUT on a bench, and lets face it, nobody wants to do that lol...... ;)

So don't take RR's as gosple ;)

Simon

02 172, 07 AstraVan
never believe what it says on paper, my R1 on paper is 180 on rolling road power was 160 and 179 and the fly, so its claimed power is at the flywheel, thats my suggestion anyway

Yaris Hybrid
You are also losing power through the lack of ram air on the rollers...

Although that won't have a bearing on a 182.