ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BHP Gains From a decat?

Renaultsport Clio Cup
Can anyone please tell me what sort of bhp gains i will be looking at from a decat? Has anyone had it done and is it worth it? Cheers Gav:)

minimal bhp gains, BUT its well worth it, engine revs much more freely! Definately one of the best improvements/£

Agreed. Had mine done and it improves the drive. Sounds better too. The janspeed de-cat from k-tec is supposed to give 7bhp gains on a 172 Mk1 which is what i've got but I doubt it's made that much of an improvement.

i dunno my supersprint system with decat seemed to net me about 12 but as we know rolling roads about as accurate as the american airforce using guided missiles lol

Ph1
Tis a bit louder but nothing that you cant live with.

Also prepair for the engine managment light to be on all the time and a reek of unburnt Optimax

Clio 172 mk2
Do it...I fitted a sports cat and even with that noticed the car was much more drivable with less hesitation.

172 cup (again)
Where can i get a decat for my 172 cup and how much? Andy Gdi, will you be selling a decat for the mk2 172 along side the one you have offered for the 182 that will stop the warning light coming on?

What car Gavo?

I assume 172?

182 is easy, but isn't 172 quite awkward?

Andyman, why should light come on? And if "unburnt" fuel is heading down the exhaust best get rid of the cat fast, unburnt fuel can destroy it! Possibly then repair engine?

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
the 172's sound awful with an unsilenced decat,you have to sort out the emmisions light which you hear alot of people moaning about whichever way its done then you've got to mess about when it comes to mot time so is it really worth it?

EVO VII
If you have a phase 1 172 you dont have to worry about the engine management light, they only have one sensor which is before the cat ;) my light came on for about 30 miles then went off, its been of 4 nearly a year now.

it is very loud 98 + Db but i wouldn't say it sounds crap, watch this video of mine and make your mind up.

http://media.putfile.com/clio-exhaust

Mine passes it MOT just fine, just need to know the right people ;)

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
wat about decats for a mk1? has any done this? coz they r quite cheap and if they soudn good ill def go for it.

Ph1
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
You got one andy? Janspeed...?

Yeah its a Janspeed.

For the minor bad points its still a very worth while addition.

One sensor Jay ??

Ive got a double cat late spec mk1 172 and its got one sensor before the cat and one after.

I originally had the sensors all plugged in, light came on so when it was in for a service Reno reset the de-fault so the light went out. I then disconnected the second sensor and now the lights back on !!

Not sure if you should disconnect the first sensor so i'll just live with the M/light being on for now :)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Fred2001Dynamic said:
yes its very worth it!!!! matty, you should get your hearing checked out!!! ;)

been there done that,i'd rather put the money towards somthing a bit better if you know what i mean

Renaultsport Clio Cup
cheers for the help, i got a 172 cup with cat back and ppx viper at the moment but think im gona have the exhaust decat done. Does anyone know how t get round the engine management light for when i have it done? What do these sensors do anyway? i dont want to have it decat then my car break down:)

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
JayGTT said:
If you have a phase 1 172 you dont have to worry about the engine management light, they only have one sensor which is before the cat ;) my light came on for about 30 miles then went off, its been of 4 nearly a year now.

it is very loud 98 + Db but i wouldn't say it sounds crap, watch this video of mine and make your mind up.

http://media.putfile.com/clio-exhaust

Mine passes it MOT just fine, just need to know the right people ;)
i've seen your car at pod before jay yours doesnt rasp like some of them,i've had a decat on every car i've owned and i've had to sort out special MOT's but cant be doing with it on the 172

EVO VII
matty w said:
i've seen your car at pod before jay yours doesnt rasp like some of them,i've had a decat on every car i've owned and i've had to sort out special MOT's but cant be doing with it on the 172

Fair enough some days i wish i never had it done, can be a bit over powering the noise.

EVO VII
Andyman said:
Yeah its a Janspeed.

For the minor bad points its still a very worth while addition.

One sensor Jay ??

Ive got a double cat late spec mk1 172 and its got one sensor before the cat and one after.

I originally had the sensors all plugged in, light came on so when it was in for a service Reno reset the de-fault so the light went out. I then disconnected the second sensor and now the lights back on !!

Not sure if you should disconnect the first sensor so i'll just live with the M/light being on for now :)

Yer mines an early phase 1 only has one sensor :) i got lucky i suppose

Why remove the Cat?

Theoretical and minor benefits are;

1) slightly more power
2) slightly more reliable
3) slightly more mpg
4) slightly lighter
5) slightly lower maintenance costs
6) slightly less emissions
7) slightly louder

Disadvantages;

1) illegal emissions therefore fails MOT and would fail roadside test

Dave finney said:
Why remove the Cat?

Theoretical and minor benefits are;

1) slightly more power
2) slightly more reliable
3) slightly more mpg
4) slightly lighter
5) slightly lower maintenance costs
6) slightly less emissions
7) slightly louder

Disadvantages;

1) illegal emissions therefore fails MOT and would fail roadside test

Lol sorry Mr Do Gooder ;)

Because the benefits of de-cat had been questioned I tried to list all the advantages + disadvantages and put them in order of importance.

I left out the benefit of being able to use a wider range of fuels, eg leaded, as I don't think there are any leaded fuels available at all now.

Unfortunately the cat was made necissary in a knee-jerk reaction to legal requirements for control of emmissions and is a very poor solution to the problem.

Anyway I have ordered a de-cat so will hopefully find out if any of these benefits turn out to be true in the real world!