ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BHP!

i understand the 16v to have 134bhp as standard is this at the flywheel? as in the members area nearly all 16v have less, is this a wheel or flywheel difference?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yes, the figures quoted by manufacturers are almost always at the flywheel.

Notm sure about the ones in the members area.?!

Isnt it 137bhp?

In the members area its at the wheels I am sure. Is it about 20% lost through transmission etc.. or is it less?

right 137 is a flywheel figure for a std car. a 16v can make between 130-140 depending on condition but it can be even less if the car has been neglected

the other figure your on about if the figure at the wheels which is a more appropriate measure of power of car.
tranmission loss is between 20 - 30 %

wongy

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Transmission loss is not gonna be 30% on a fwd car mate, thats into 4wd territiory and far too high. A good "ballpark" figure for a modern fwd car is about 20% loss, or thereabouts.

Here is an example of a rolling road printout for my old car, a Peugeot 106 GTi. It shows both the power at the wheels and the power at the flywheel, taken in 4th gear.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/Pug106GTi/Misc/RR_Print.jpg

From this graph we can work out that the loss was actually about 20% in this case.

HTH

BMW 320d Sport

Well if anything, theory would suggest that the trans loss on a front wheel drive car should be even less - between 10 and 15%. But repeated testing of different cars on different roads, shows that 20% is about average for a Clio 16v.

The figures quoted are all at the wheels.