ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Big puff of smoke. Why?

Clio 182 cup
Hi I race in the ktec 182 Clio championship and have some issues

My car gives off a big plume off smoke when I back off from being flat out in 4th or 5th. As come of the accelerator I get a BIG puff of smoke fire from the exhaust. It then smokes for a while before eventually burning away and none at all. Car loses no power or performance. When people first noticed they said it looked as though it was goimg to go bang.

It's only just started doing this lately at snetterton coming into the first corner. It's hanging in. Fourth I then come of the power and the smoke comes, by the time I'm at the hairpin it's very faint then after the hairpin we have nothing.
I have no problem strangely at the end of Bentley straight, all is fine.

We had the car compression tested and all was fine, ran it hard on the dyno and all came back well.

Just been to bedford auto drone and the smoke happened again. Those who know it as I came down the back straight to the fast chicane was flat in. 5th, came of power to go fourth and PUFF loads of smoke again, managed to clear within 3 corners and all was well again. Again no performance loss etc. Only did 5 laps and then called it a day.

Has anyone any suggestions??

Clio 182 cup
I've posted some images someone got from snetterton

Attachments

• IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 128
  Clio 182 cup
any smoke from clod start? is it a fresh build?

get a leakdown test done, could be rings?
Not a fresh build done a season and some testing since build, been very strong. Usual smoke if you call it that when started and cold but dissappears after few minutes as warms up. Leak tests came back ok also

Interesting that the leakdown test came back OK, I would've thought it'd be blowby when you're flat out pushing a puddle of oil into the inlet which then gets burnt off the rest of the lap.

I'd be looking at getting a catch tank then you can really see what's going on.