ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bilstein B14 vs. KW V2's????

Stripped yozza'd cup
I know these threads always cause arguments and disagreements, but I need to decide by the end of the month....

I was set on KW's, but having seen Kamracing's offer on Bilstein's, I'm tempted.... They're about half the price of the kw's and other reviews seem to rate them pretty highly.

It'll spend most of its time on the road, but with as much time on track as I can afford during the year.

Thanks all.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
KW V2 are adjustable so if you want to play with the damping then you will need them. Bilstein are more fit and forget.

Stripped yozza'd cup
KW V2 are adjustable so if you want to play with the damping then you will need them. Bilstein are more fit and forget.

How good are the Bilstein's out of the box? I'd quite like to have the adjustability, but, if the Bilsteins have a good set up as standard, then I'd rather save my £500.

Half the price? That cheap?

Not quite half the price, £703 from KamRacing. KW's are £1200 or so.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
I've had Bilsteins on virtually all my road cars and I rate them very highly. They use clever adjusting valves internally to alter the damping rate and they've transformed every car. I will be getting a set for our Clio too. The V2's are very good, we have a set on our Lupo but I know the Bilsteins will be a great road setup.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I've had Bilsteins on virtually all my road cars and I rate them very highly. They use clever adjusting valves internally to alter the damping rate and they've transformed every car. I will be getting a set for our Clio too. The V2's are very good, we have a set on our Lupo but I know the Bilsteins will be a great road setup.

Thanks very much kev, is it pretty much the same story on track? Anything to tell between them?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Couldn't fault mine on my last Cup :)

PM bill on here, he bought my cup with them still fitted

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
It'll spend most of its time on the road, but with as much time on track as I can afford during the year.

I spent a long time deliberating on exactly the same decision that you have to make except my ratio of road:track use is more 50:50 mainly due to the car being used as a second car, not because I'm a track day junkie. After doing a lot of research, I went with the B14 kit from KAM and have absolutely no regrets. In my view, spring rate/damping is spot on for fast road use, I would not want to go any firmer, especially with the state of the roads at the moment. Sometimes I do wish I could stiffen up the shocks a tad for track days but it keeps life simple that they're fixed. My recommendation would be to get the Bilsteins and spend the £500 saving on top mounts and other mods such as a rear ARB.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Cheers braveheart, that's exactly what I needed.
To be honest, outright performance isn't really that important on track days, as long as it handles well enough to be fun.
I'll definitely be getting a rear ARB, hadn't really thought about top mounts too much. Are they worth the money?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I wouldn't bother with top mounts, but the whiteline is a fantastic upgrade. I ran the V2's, and it's the best handling Clio I've driven by some distance.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I wouldn't bother with top mounts, but the whiteline is a fantastic upgrade. I ran the V2's, and it's the best handling Clio I've driven by some distance.

I've heard this a lot.... It's a case of weighing up whether they're worth £500 more than the bilsteins...
Have you driven a Clio on bilsteins?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Hi,

I run Bilstein B14 for two years now, with KTR top mounts, the handling is immense, never had the back end pop out and the cornering ability is unbelievable, I had koni suspension on my last car (306) and these Bilsteins kill em. If you happen to be in North Wales ill take you for a spin to show you, the only downside a little is on rough roads, pot holes and uneven tarmac or bumps, you just gotta ease off on that type of roads
(but is this true with any coilovers???). Otherwise I love the kit, best mod ive ever done to any car, easy to fit as well. Did it all myself

Hope this helps

Daf

Italian 3.2 V6
Iv learned from my very recent track day (yesterday!) that the standard setup (with apex sprigs) Is actually really good and alot of fun!

Coilovers would 100% make you quicker around the track. But seing as you are not fussed on being quick, just wanting to have fun. Don't bother with expensive coilovers! Don't even bother with the B14's!

Go Vmaxx or something if it's just for fast road and looks ;) or even better 2nd hand H&R's or something. Vmaxx would still be an improvement over standard setup on track I'd imagin.

Black Gold Trophy
^ Hmm I dunno PSJ, it doesnt really seem like you've tried both setups back to back?

I would say the complete opposite of "don't bother with expensive coillovers" personally, you definitely get what you pay for with suspension.
Every car I've ever driven with cheap suspension has been truly shocking. I think Jack is looking for a good compromise between road and track use, "fast road" and "looks" don't really go hand in hand imo.

Sorry to steer the thread off course but they dont do B14s for the 182 Cup do they?

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Iv learned from my very recent track day (yesterday!) that the standard setup (with apex sprigs) Is actually really good and alot of fun!

Coilovers would 100% make you quicker around the track. But seing as you are not fussed on being quick, just wanting to have fun. Don't bother with expensive coilovers! Don't even bother with the B14's!

Go Vmaxx or something if it's just for fast road and looks ;) or even better 2nd hand H&R's or something. Vmaxx would still be an improvement over standard setup on track I'd imagin.

Sorry lad, most of that's rubbish. The standard setup is very good. Apex are not. They are f**king awful. And vmaxx?? Cheap for a reason.

Do it properly, or keep it standard with and arb.

Si

RS Clio 172
Sorry lad, most of that's rubbish. The standard setup is very good. Apex are not. They are f**king awful. And vmaxx?? Cheap for a reason.

Do it properly, or keep it standard with and arb.

I think this is the first time I've completely agreed with something you have to say, or paid attention to what you have to say for that matter. I'll make note of this important CS event.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I think this is the first time I've completely agreed with something you have to say, or paid attention to what you have to say for that matter. I'll make note of this important CS event.

I agree, think of the standard clio suspension set up - its already good - so spending cheaply on new suspension setup wont get you anywhere, you might as well just buy some eibach lowering springs and get the same result.

Black Gold Trophy
I'm glad I'm not the only person on that train of thought.
I'd rather buy new standard units than buy cheap aftermarket tat

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

I've genuinely no idea who you are? But thanks?

Italian 3.2 V6
Apex springs were far better than the prolines i had before. Alot less body roll on the track. FACT.

I only menchioned Vmaxx as he wasn't fussed about being quick around the track. FLOL, I think you guys miss understood me.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm going to be blunt. It may come across harsh. If so, I apologise.

If you think the apex setup is better than eibachs, you don't know what you're talking about I'm afraid. They're crap. They don't work with the dampers. At all.

Italian 3.2 V6
Yea they can be harsh on the road but on the track they felt far better than the prolines I prev had.. Simple as that mate and I'm sorry if u have a problem with that.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I love random thread revivals. Lol.

Looks definitely take a back seat to performance, if the two can be combined, then brilliant. I have new standard shocks and sportlines, but I want to take it the step further... My main concern is how good the bilstein setup is out of the box, because they're not adjustable. Just a matter of whether the kw's are worth the extra ~£400 for the adjustability.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
The thing with Bilsteins is that they will last 2-3 times longer than the likes of Vmaxx etc, while out performing them in every condition. So long term Bilsteins are actually better value for money.

My 106 Rallye has had Bilstein dampers on it for 60k+ and they are still going strong.