ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bit of an upgrade

ok, im tired of the standard sounds.

ive got the renault 4x44w cd hu.

wanna upgrade my speakers, before i start on anything else.

just seen a set of JBL coaxials for the rears (£40) - will these sound good compared to the standard units????

also, could i fit another pair of these in the front doors as a straight swap for the standard woofer units???- how would that sound???

yes. but would coaxials sound ok in the doors as wel as the dash tweeters which i wish to keep? along with the same JBL coaxials in the rear. how would that sound, or would i be better finding a unit for the front door with no tweeter in it. egt: the pioneer "twin coned" ones ive seen??????

captain_clio...take my advice, i took a very expensive approach to upgrading and im only satisfied now.

first thing is first, get a new head unit. You will be amazed the difference a decent head unit can make to sound quality.

Secondly, get yourself a nice set of components for the front, yes that means removing the dash etc...but its worth it

Then get your self some 2way coaxiles for the rear sides, and a nice couple of 12" subs for the boot.

If your only wanting a wee upgrade without too much expense, just swap the front speakers and disconnect the tweeters, then put some 6x9s in for a wee bit of bass!

and im spent!

Elise/VX220/R26

I would also advise you to get a head unit first. The difference it makes is phenominal.

At the moment Ive changed the head unit and got a single 12" sub in the back. With some replacement components in the front it will be sounding sweeeet. Wouldnt go for 6 x 9s tho, If you get good front speakers and replace the rears you should be ok.

Dual coned speakers are mainly used for doorstops and paperweights...unless they are some of the high end models which can cost you a lung or 2.

Russ

Using a flat blade screwdriver unclip the speaker surround.
Using a stardriver unscrew the two screws holding the speaker.
Disconnect the speaker and cut off the old connector. Look on the plug to see which wires are which..

Using wire strippers strip the ends of the existing wires.
Strip the wires about 2cm down to allow easy reconnection.
Again strip about 2 cm down this time off the wires that came with your speakers.
Attach your supplied wires (+ve and -ve) to the right wires. (step 3) Tape each connection separately.

Look at the old speakers! No wonder they sounded crap!
Slide on the new connectors and ensure a secure fit.(+ve to +ve and -ve to -ve)
Screw your new speaker into the existing holes and also use the existing screws. Be careful not to puncture the speaker.
The rear speakers are fitted the same. To gain access to them gently pry off the surround with a screwdriver.

Using a flat blade screwdriver unclip the speaker surround.
Using a stardriver unscrew the two screws holding the speaker.
Disconnect the speaker and cut off the old connector. Look on the plug to see which wires are which..

Using wire strippers strip the ends of the existing wires.
Strip the wires about 2cm down to allow easy reconnection.
Again strip about 2 cm down this time off the wires that came with your speakers.
Attach your supplied wires (+ve and -ve) to the right wires. (step 3) Tape each connection separately.

Look at the old speakers! No wonder they sounded crap!
Slide on the new connectors and ensure a secure fit.(+ve to +ve and -ve to -ve)
Screw your new speaker into the existing holes and also use the existing screws. Be careful not to puncture the speaker.
The rear speakers are fitted the same. To gain access to them gently pry off the surround with a screwdriver.