ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Clio 172 for Autosolos and other speed events

Clio 172
Now starts the tale of my newly acquired Clio 172. It will be used primarily for Autosolos, Sprints, Hillclimbs and smooth Targa Rallies.
This isn't new to the Clio - the car won the National BTRDA Autosolo Championship in 2015,plus the Cotswold and Welsh Autosolo Autosolo Championships.
Likewise, Motorsport isn't new to me, my first competitive event was in 1979 and I've won various stage rally championships as a driver and navigator. Competing on Rally GB in 1995 when Colin McRae won the event and the WRC was a really special event for me. I've won the Association of South West Motor Clubs (ASWMC) Autosolo Championship for the last two years plus have been at least in the top four overall of BTRDA, Welsh and Cotswold Autosolo Championships for the last few years. My kids (23, 21 and 19) have all won National Championships, in fact my daughter (19) has won the BTRDA U25 Autosolo Challenge and Allrounders Championships in 2015.
We've been using a 1275 Micra prepared beautifully by Humphris of Oxford for the last two years. The car handles superbly but still has its standard 134k old engine with 75bhp when new. I was looking at ways to improve the Micra, but the Clio was the most obvious, cost effective route, especially as it's been looked after so well in the past.
This year,as well as Autosolos, I'll also be out on Targa rallies, historic rallies, grass autotests and Classic tours. I may even try a track day which has always left me cold in the past - I'd much rather be competing or flying between the trees. Going round and round a race track, knowing where the road goes, no navigation involved, just hasn't appealed, but I know many on here love it. I'll have to find out myself, I have loads of tarmac tyres to use up.
I have a variety of other cars for these events - Lotus Elise, 1969 Mini Cooper S, 1275 Micra, Rover 214 (don't laugh, this is fully stage prepared and has won many, many events). I'm also looking for an early 205 GTi - I used to rally an ex-works 205 and still have loads of parts to run a 205 on historic rallies. Anybody know of any early 205 GTis wich could be for sale?
I'll have owned the Clio for a week tomorrow. No major problems to sort out - radio now working, correct size wipers fitted, non-return valves to stop water leaking from headlamp washers ordered. Seats not folding properly and the most infuriating - driver open light stays on and I can't find an obvious fault. Still, the car seems to go well.
The Clio is just so comfortable, I'll be able to do events a lot further away. Even though the air con adds weight, it'll maintain my performance. I really like the pedal set up, but need to wear narrow shoes (I do anyway in competition). The space to the left of the clutch pedal is great, giving me more space to brace myself in turns (probably indicates I need a better seat).
I now need to start setiing the car up for myself. The steering wheel is first - it's a flat Momo Race wheel and I don't like it. I'm borowing steering wheels from my other cars to find the right set up but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with my old favourite - 350mm, 90mm dish. The Momo wheel will be for sale soon. Likewise the carbon rear strut brace - it feels too flimsy to do anything and gets in the way in the boot.
After that it's a cam belt and dephaser change for reliability-sake. I'll leave this to the experts, any great deals out there?
Futiure areas to look at - the gear change isn't as positive as I'd like. Maybe play with front and rear camber. I'll see what the standard seat is like in competition but a decent bucket seat is likely.
What else should I be looking at? The car has standard damping and slightly lowered Eibach springs. I don't want to go too low so I can use the car on a variety of surfaces. Compared to my Micra, the Clio's suspension feels a little "wooly".
I have nine 172 wheels but a few more would be useful. Condition (as long as they're round and straiight) and colour doesn't matter as long as they're cheap, what do you have?
PS3 (or PE2) tyres in 195/45 16 seem to be the best choice.If you have any which are low/on the wear marks then they would be perfect for me. Please throw them in my direction.
I have four 15" Storm wheels but I'm after more 15" alloys to use up my 15" tyres and give me more options on lower traction surfaces. Anybody selling any suitable wheels?
Upcoming events - VCRR Winter Classic Rally starting in Hungerford on 2nd January. I'm looking forward to a good thrash over the gravel roads of Salisbury Plain. The CSMA New Year's Run on 3rd January where I'll probably use the Clio, or the Lotus if the weather is good (in January!). First Autosolo of the year and first ASWMC round on 9th Jan at Smeatharpe. Demo drives on the Thursday and Friday of the Autospport Show the week after (I need your old tyres). Come along for a free ride. The two days should be ideal to learn the car better.
I'll post updates of any modifications made for competition on here, plus results of the mods and event results. If any organisation wants me to test anything then let me know.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Bucket seat
Dished steering wheel
Solid engine mounts and dogbone mount
Rear anti roll bar (really helps turn in)
98 Ron remap (pull better lower down)
Koni dampers and eibach springs work very well with autosolo, sprints hillclimb and trackdays too.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've got some old 15s with tyres on (can't remember what, might stick them on my clio for a laugh and see how bad they are) you can smoke up for demo runs at Autosport, I'll be there on the Thursday if you want me to bring them. Although seeing as you're ASWMC, I presume you're fairly local?

No doubt you'd have many a good blarney with @gtrnav who's a veteran navigator and driver, and has hillclimbed for many a year. I was in the hillclimbing scene for a while but not in a clio.

Whiteline ARB and roll centre mod (@NorthloopCup comes to mind) help, and apparently cooksport springs are great with cup dampers.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Forgot to say, I've also got a lower cwp and gripper diff.
As the other link isn't working, I'll try it again, my first ever autosolo

I also sprint

And hillclimb

Clio 172
Pauleds, I guess that was a demo Autosolo, I've never seen an Autosolo course so tight. It was more like an Autotest. Even the "Autosolo Ladder" I drove during Supercar Day at Castle Combe,using half the normal Autosolo area, was far more open. Impressive crowd, they seemed to enjoy your driving. I don't think my 172 will handbrake like yours. Seems as though I have most of what I need, "borrowed" the 90mm dish steering wheel from the Micra today. Gearbox mods will have to wait until I blow it up!

McGherkin, if I could finish off your tyres that would be great. Do you want to sell the wheels, I need some 15" wheels. I've offered 4 tyres on Rover rims for Mike Biss to finish off on his MX5. It would be more but not many will fit in the MX5!

BTW, you must be thinking of AWMMC (West Midlands) not ASWMC (South West). Not that either gives away my location in Maidenhead!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You can have the wheels as far as I'm concerned! They're from my 1.2 so I'll have to test them on the 172 first just to make sure they clear etc, but should be fine.

I was thinking of ASWMC - Wiscombe, Werrington, Tregrehan, Castle etc

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
@AlanWak yes it was a demo autosolo at Ormskirk motorfest and I just like to mess about and slide the car a bit for the spectators. As for handbrake, its bog standard clio so you're clio should do exactly the same.
I'm hoping to be at the autosport show on the Thursday if you are there, as I need new seats, belts and harnesses for my clio rally build.

Clio 172
Sorry @McGherkin , I took that the wrong way - I thought you meant close to the NEC, but you meant close to Ply-Muff :) I'm at Smeatharpe on 9th Jan doing the first Autosolo of the year, and the first time driving the Clio on an event, a steep learning curve. If it's not far for you and you're free then do drop by. BTW are the wheels alloys or steels?

@Pauleds you've given me hope in my handbrake! But the Clio seems to handle well so I shouldn't need it. With the rally Rover I have to use the handbrake as it won't turn in! Makes for some great pictures though.

I normally buy my parts through Craig at SCA Motorsport http://www.scautoservices.co.uk/sca-motorsport.html . His Dad used to be my main service guy on events and now runs a Darrian. He's VERY resourceful at fixing cars. Give Craig a call on 07976 206931 and mention Alan Wakeman. Craig is normally at the Autosport Show but I don't know whether he has a stand this year, he didn't last year.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If I can drop by Smeatharpe I will.

Wheels are these:
image.jpg

Clio 172
@McGherkin just looked up how far Smeatharpe is away from you - stilll 68 miles so not just down the road. The alloys look great, should be the right offset as well. If there's any way I could oolect them before the Autosport Show that would be great. And I'll give you something for them as well.

Clio 172
Wow, that would be absolutely fantastic, thank you very much indeed. I've started the tyre planning and will make sure I have room.

Clio 172
Great thanks for dropping the wheels off today @McGherkin/Callum. I may be able to drive for the full two days without changing wheels now. Sorry you got soaked, hope you don't catch anything. I didn't know I was leading at lunch. Ended up taking FTD and the blue Clio 172 Cup was first in class. A good day, shame about the wind and rain.

Clio 172
Probably better here than with my introductory message. First Autosolo in the Clio today and took the overall win. A great start to the year in nice wet, slippery conditions. Getting some more practice in the car giving passenger rides in the Autosolo Experience at the Autosport Show next week, then the first round of the National Championship in Demon Tweeks' car park on 31st Jan.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Great thanks for dropping the wheels off today @McGherkin/Callum. I may be able to drive for the full two days without changing wheels now. Sorry you got soaked, hope you don't catch anything. I didn't know I was leading at lunch. Ended up taking FTD and the blue Clio 172 Cup was first in class. A good day, shame about the wind and rain.

Honestly mate, don't worry about the rain! See you thursday ;)

Clio 172
Cam belt, defuser, etc changed by Mike and the team at Rentech on Friday. She now seems a bit more frisky but moreover hopefully reliable. Nut had come off top on upper gearbox mount and the Ktec mount had ovalised so a standard mount now fitted. NS anti roll bar clamp had disappeared, will have to order a new one from Renault. Next event is the Knutsford Autosolo at Demon Tweeks on 31st. Currently at the Crowne Plaza at the NEC collecting awards from last year. Hopefully even more to be won in 2016.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
52.36 is a pretty good time at Prescott Paul, are you going to be there again this season?

Rich

Cheers Rich, that was my first ever weekend at Prescott so I was still learning it. It was good to get so close to Dave West in his 106 considering he's been there for years. Doubtful I will be there again as I've sold that Clio now and I'm building a rally car version instead.

Clio 172
The NSF felt very imprecise so went for a change to Powerflex black bushes (only black are available now). Horror when the lower wishbone was removed - the previous bushes had worn away the chassis mounts with their metal outer - we're sure there should have been washers between the bush and the chassis mount. The groove was so deep that there was little metal holding the front of the arm in place, only around half of the mount was still in place. The front of the wishbone could have parted company with the car with more wear or a big hit. Add a knackered bush and missing outer anti roll bar clamp and no wonder the car felt "loose".

As a result, weld had to be applied to build up the mount again. All fixed now thanks to a fantastic job by Jamie Turner at the Rover Centre in St Albans. The Rover Centre looks after my rally cars and the cars stay together no matter what I throw at them. The Clio will be solid and reliable soon. The random electrics are still on the horizon as a big obstacle - the electrics on the Clio are defying logic right now!

Still, all set for the first round of the BTRDA Autosolo Championship at Demon Tweeks tomorrow. As the car park is being modified and the normal space may not be available, hopefully the tests won't be too tight.

Clio 172
And I was just going to take it easy! Hate to think what could have happened. Still, fixed now, shouldn't happen again. But did find a split CV boot!

Clio 172
After the suspension mount problem I headed off to Demon Tweeks at Wrexham for round one of the BTRDA Autosolo Championship. The car park was small, I've never competed on such a tight Autosolo. I had to resort to the handbrake to get round some of the turns. My handbrake isn't good so I was happy with 5th overall after the first two tests. I completed my first run at test 3, then in the relatively open test 4 I felt a pop on a slalom section. I also found that the handbrake wasn't working. Stopped at the end of the test and found I'd broken a handbrake cable. I thought that was the "pop", then I saw the oil dripping down! Power steering pump had blown. I did the minimum needed to be classified as a finisher and obtain a few championship points. I've had better days!

Clio 172
So new power steering pump, offside driveshaft and a pair of handbrake cables. Today I headed off to Kemble airfield near Cirencester for round 2 of the BTRDA Autosolo Championship, my favourite Autosolo venue as it has a mixture of surfaces and mud normally appears.

It was amazing how the grip varied between runs, especially if the drizzle cam down harder, giving way more grip than the pure mud spread over the surface. One group of cars really benefitted from the drizzle, from us being around level on times, the drizzle enabled the quicker cars in the other group to take 7-8 seconds out of the cars in my group on one test.

I must sort out a better handbrake, it was the only way to steer in some places today! So frustrating sliding across the mud covered tarmac with little control over my destiny/direction.

To cut a long story short, 6th overall, second in class, first car without an LSD. A Trophy was out, but retired with a noisy diff/gearbox.

So no mechanical issues created today, that I know about. But of course I had to have some electrical problems - I was sliding the passenger seat back and the central locking started locking and unlocking every few seconds by itself. Moving the passenger seat backwards and forwards fixed the problem, but now the tailgate won't lock on the central locking unless I open and close the tailgate. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Videos of the Autosolo at:

Clio 172
Round three of the National BTRDA Autosolo Championship yesterday at Chepstow Race Course, run by Bristol Motor Club. Tried some 15" wheels and the car felt so much better. They're clearly much lighter than the 16" and a lot cheaper to replace the tyres as well.

Second overall after the first test to an Evo 3. Mike Biss nipped by on test two in his MX5, he was only a tenth behind me after the first test. A highly modified Rover went past on test three. Happy to end up fourth overall with some really quick cars snapping at my heels. Always satisfying to get a good finish in effectively a standard car. Pictures courtesy of Scott Boulton at Jack Flash Photography.

No failures (that I'm aware of yet) but the rear exhaust mount has popped out of its rubber so a little work to do for next weekend for the next round of the championship at Ross. The silencer looks to have rotated as well, weird. Now to try to dial out some understeer.

12783823_995129450567458_343533064094118381_o.jpg
12828348_995129420567461_4776833044914393962_o.jpg

Clio 172
Round 4 of the BTRDA Autosolo Championship at Ross on Wye yesterday. I used some old Exalto tyres, big mistake, they had gone hard so I had a LOT of understeer as rubber fell off the tyres. I had to fit some very old S.Drive tyres (which I'd originally taken to create less rear end grip). They were better than the Exaltos, but not a lot! Only 7th overall and second in class, but the first of the standard cars - everybody else had LSDs in their MX5s, Minis, Micras and Caterham.

I did blow a rear shock, hopefully a new pair are on their way.

But I'm still leading the National Championship, plus the Welsh and South West Championships.

Time for a Sprint next Sunday at Hullavington (the last one ever as it's being built on). I need to find some 15" wheels for my list 1B tyres, anybody have any?

A few videos from Ross, apologies for the odd word here and there where I couldn't get the car to turn in!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Doing well fella!

Binned off those old 15s? Or not wide enough?

I'm doing a charity Autosolo soon but I'm not expecting to be competitive! Looking forward to it thanks to yourself :up:

Clio 172
The last sprint at Hullavington today - it's being sold to be built on. Shame, it's a great venue.

I was in the slightly modified standard class due to my poly bushes and air box. I didn't realise that "standard" as defined in the Blue Book means that you can run throttle bodies and other quick stuff. How is that standard? Road going, yes, standard?
993567_10208985829502900_1754868348207513591_n.jpg

The competition is in the picture, plus a Clio Williams with throttle bodies (of course) and big holes in the front of the bonnet. I was lying third in class behind the gold Saxo and Clio Williams, 1.7 secs up on the silver 182 and over 2 seconds on the MX5. Then they woke up and I hit a metaphorical wall - I just couldn't go any quicker. The MX5 beat me by almost two secs, the 182 by 0.5 secs, 5th in class, darn. I think I lost a lot under braking - lots of weight transfer and back end lock up. A stiffer front end is needed. It was still probably the best sprint I've done, no big gaps between runs. Shame we'll be losing the venue.

Clio 172
No rear ARB as yet. An area to discuss with K-Tec next week when we go through the suspension set up. I really want to focus on turn in and braking - I'm getting too much understaeer and am scrubbing the edges of front tyres, plus I was having trouble braking on the Sprint due to weight transfer - all the weight on the front and the back end was locking up easily. Rear end lateral stability will be a compromise - more tail happy when competing would be good, but I have to drive the car to events so can't have anything too radical. A more powerful handbrake would help for "save" situations. The next event is the following Sunday after the K-Tec set up, at my favourite Autosolo venue - Kemble near Cirencester. I need to step it up for that event, only a class win is acceptable.

Clio 172
Doing well fella!

Binned off those old 15s? Or not wide enough?

I'm doing a charity Autosolo soon but I'm not expecting to be competitive! Looking forward to it thanks to yourself :up:

You doing the charity Autosolo in the Volvo? It'll be a good laugh no matter what. You'll be getting a Clio next!

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Definitely get a rear arb, set to hard they will oversteer a treat, really helps turn in too.

I've never had a problem with cable setup handbrake but the new car is having a vertical hydraulic one!

Clio 172
Round 4 of the National BTRDA Autosolo Championship yesterday at Kemble, courtesy of Bath Motor Club. Some suspension set up changes at K-Tec and the car was transformed - much better turn in, the "wooliness" has gone and I can get on the power earlier. 8th overall and first in class, just kit and modified cars in front of me. Moreover the cars which beat me at the last round were soundly beaten this time, the suspension set up made a HUGE difference. Maximum points in the BTRDA, Welsh, Cotswold and South West Championships, now leading all of them overall.

Of course I had to have a failure - coolant leak this time. I was losing a quite a lot of coolant on the tests but some Radweld on the way home seems to have temporarily stopped the leak. Must be a leaking pipe or more likely the radiator. Looking at the front of the car, coolant is dripping from the bottom right area of the radiator. I know there's a hose in there as well, we'll have to see where the leak's coming from.

Two weeks until the next event - the Oxford Motor Club event at Finmere. MOT for the road car and the the Clio before that!

Clio 172
A quick update after the Oxford Autosolo. The coolant leak on the Bath MC Kemble Solo was from a plastic plug on the back of the radiator - it looks like someone had overtightened in the past and split the threaded section. We touched the plug and it broke. I was lucky on the event. New plastic plug and all ok.

I'm gradually getting the car to my liking. However I was in the first group driving and ended up in slippery conditions, I know how Ogier feels! A bit of brain fade on one run then a cone combined with the lack of grip put me 15 seconds behind, an eternity. On the pace after that until I ran out of tyres for the last test - my spares were shocking, and it rained! Another 8 seconds gone.

7th overall, second in class. Still leading the BTRDA, Welsh, South West and Cotswold Autosolo Championships. Also leading the BTRDA Allrounders Championship. Another Sprint and an Autotest required to fully qualify for Allrounders. Farnborough Autosolo on 8th May next and my new wheels have arrived. I think I'll save those for Abingdon. For a change I'm out on the Leukaemia Targa Rally in the Rover, starting at Chepstow Racecourse on 14th May. I won the Targa section in 2013, must do the same this year.

Clio 172
Doing well!

Shame about the niggles but obviously you're keeping the car better maintained so should be less likely in the future.

Hopefully now on to the minor debugging. However after two years of competing in a Micra with 100% reliability (and not much slower than the 172 as the Micra handles so well), I'm now suffering from French car paranoia! I'm listening for indications of something going wrong all the time. Unfortunately this now also applies to any other car I'm driving. Must get out in the Micra again.