ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Black Clio 172 for Autosolos and other speed events

Clio 172
The Farnborough Autosolo today at Barton Stacey. I loved the course, especially the tight loop with the trees on the outside. After the first test I had a good lead in class (only myself in the National B class, but also leading all others in my class in the Clubman event - other clubs combine Nat B and Clubman entries). As I had a good lead I bolted on some old tyres on the front and went in to nine tenths mode. I'm still paranoid about breaking the car - the exhaust had to be re-hung again this week and the joint renewed between manifold and rest of the exhaust. I also had the air com re-gassed, very useful today while waiting to do runs. Nine tenths meant that I wasn't really stressing the car, so hopefully no mechanical problems.

So tenth overall and first in the National B class (and would have been first in class including the Clubman entry, but Nat B/Clubman weren't combined). Maximum points in the BTRDA Championship, but my competion in the Championship also won their class, so we stay the same.

Rallying in the Rover next Saturday on the Leukaemia Rally at Chepstow, then 3.5 hours drive each way to Ilkley for the next BTRDA Autosolo on Sunday. I need those points!

A video of one of my runs today:

Clio 172
It's been a while but the results have been rolling in. 4th overall and 1st in class at last weekend's Loughborough Car Club Autosolo at Donington Park. VERY happy to be fastest overall on all the wet tests with basically a standard 172. My fastest run on test 2:

The Clio has (touch wood) been reliable. Twelve PS3s destroyed so far this year.

The Welsh and ASWMC Championships have almost been won, a good result at the next event at the end of August should see it done. However now down to third overall in the National BTRdA Championship - I keep on being narrowly beaten by a highly modified Rover. So close. Those of us in the top four have been split by 2.3 seconds in the last two events.

I've also been fitting in a few historic rallies - 5th overall and 1st in class on the Leukaemia. First overall in the Clubman Rally on the Hughes. Next is the Ross traders at the end of July. Le Mans was also squeezed in. So far, so good.

Clio 172
An update after the Bath Motor Club event at Kemble last weekend - 1st in class and 6th overall. That gives me the overall win in Welsh Autosolo Championship and South West Autosolo Championship (for the 3rd year).

Unfortunately there's nothing I can do to improve my position in the BTRDA and Cotswold Championships - 4th and 2nd respectively. This means that I don't have to do any more Autosolos this year. I'll probably do one more at Finmere (as it may be the last time the venue can be used).

We won the Targa Rally on the Ross Traders. The Palladwr at Worthy Farm next.

My first BTRDA Autosolo at MK Dons Stadium this Sunday. That will qualify for the BTRDA Allrounders Championship - 3 disciplines, 6 in total. I did the Eagle Sprint at Goodwood since last posting to add another qualifying event. I was so bored! Drive for 100 seconds, wait an hour, drive for 100 seconds, wait an hour, drive for 100 seconds, wait an hour, drive for 100 seconds, go home. For effectively £30 a lap, very poor value. I was also initially put in a class with a single seater! I'm used to throwing the Clio around on tight courses. Goodwood is a fantastic venue, but very boring in a relatively low powered 172, everything was about being smooth, not me at all. I did catch a DB7 on my last run!

An example picture from Kemble, I forgot the GoPro!
http://goo.gl/sl8n3k

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I did the Eagle Sprint at Goodwood since last posting to add another qualifying event. I was so bored! Drive for 100 seconds, wait an hour, drive for 100 seconds, wait an hour, drive for 100 seconds, wait an hour, drive for 100 seconds, go home. For effectively £30 a lap, very poor value.

Yeaaaah, having done sprints and done autosolos, sprints are REALLY not worth it! Try hillclimbs which are much the same except it can be as little as 20 seconds on track!

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Yeaaaah, having done sprints and done autosolos, sprints are REALLY not worth it! Try hillclimbs which are much the same except it can be as little as 20 seconds on track!

You'd need to have a Top 12 Car to be doing anywhere near 20 seconds at one of the shorter hills lol
Personally I love Hilclimbs, racing around on a airfield surrounded by cones is not for me.
But you pay your money and do what you love.

Rich

Clio 172
Too much hanging around and too little driving at Sprints for me. The cost is silly as well. Add that there isn't a standard car class on most Sprints, just road going which can be highly modied, and you don't stand a chance. Add helmet, overalls and gloves and the value is awful.

Autosolos, Autotests and Targa rallies are way cheaper than Sprints, offer more time behind the wheel and are far more fun for me.

Must give a Hill climb a go, but they seem like Sprints with a more interesting course.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You'd need to have a Top 12 Car to be doing anywhere near 20 seconds at one of the shorter hills lol
Personally I love Hilclimbs, racing around on a airfield surrounded by cones is not for me.
But you pay your money and do what you love.

Rich

The record at Mamhead was something like 17 seconds! A mini could do it in 23.

Clio 172
I just realised that I never wrote an update for the end of the year.
Championship results;
1st overall Welsh Autosolo Championship,
1st overall South West Autosolo Championship (for the third year),
1st in class, 4th overall BTRDA Autosolo Championship,
1st overall Premier Rally Targa Championship,
many event wins over the year.

A good year, it'll be hard to repeat, but I'll have to try to do even better!