ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blackberry 8900 Software Update??

A3 Tdi
Evening :)

I have a blackberry 8900 and have had it a while. I was just wondering if there is any software updates available, I'v had a look online but I can't work out if is new or old or from a legitimate site!

I have had a look on the blackberry desktop manager but am a bit devious as some site suggest there might be updates.

And also any software (especially internet) downloads that will make the phone better would be much appreciated :)

Thanks alot!

Tom

Bus w**ker
Latest OS (5.0) is available from this THREAD on CrackBerry. Legit, at least from a RIM perspective, as it's a direct download from the BB.com site. Follow the instructions on CrackBerry to install it on your phone, biggest improvement you could make to a BB as 4.6 sucks massive balls.

Apps wise, search this section of CS for blackberry apps as theres been loads posted or look on Crackberry.

A3 Tdi
Thanks matey will do the update now,

Just to double check, I believe i have the 4.6 as mine reads:
V4.6.1.199

Much appreciated fella

Just had a read through the thread and it seems to get mixed reviews in terms of functionality and reliability.. Have you got it yourself or had any experience. Thanks again mate!

Last edited:
  Bus w**ker
Yeah you're running 4.6. Depending on who your provider is will depend on what "official" version of the OS you're currently able to get via Desktop manager when updating.

I've got a Bold (9000) and have updated it to 5.0(.0.411 currently but will be updating again) and it runs perfectly fine. But that said this version is a beta release so has a few small bugs that cause me no issues at all and can easily be worked around. The link in the thread above is for a legit release of 5.0 for the 8900 and I can assure you that even if it has a few issues it will be more than worthwhile to update to 5.0 over 4.6, the increased battery life for a start not to mention the other major changes.

End of the day mate as long as you make sure you back up fully (all explained in the instructions - if you're struggling to find them let me know) you can throw 5.0 on and give it a test drive. If you decide you don't like it, which I doubt, you can always downgrade easily to 4.6 and will have only lost an hour or so of your time.

A3 Tdi
Thank you!!! Just downloading now. My contracts with O2 (so is my carrier O2?) just reading "Step 3: Remember to delete vendor.xml file if your carrier the OS is not from your carrier." Will this file be obvious, once i have downloaded the software?

:)

Ahh, just found the other set of instructions!

A3 Tdi
Seem to be struggling a bit.
When I get to:

"6) follow the install wizard instructions. Be patient and only click things once; going step to step may take some time and that's fine.
7) you'll get to a screen where you are asked to choose what you want installed; the new OS should be there and other 5.0 apps/software. This is also where you'll"

When I get to step 6 there's only one/two screens til i get to the screen asking me what i want to load. On the list of things i want installed are all the apps i already have on my blackberry and the new software is no where.

Any help is really appreciated!

Mk2 Golf GTI
I'm unsure whether to do this. I see a lot of people complaining about how the functionality of the lock button has changed and it's a bit s**t.

Dont really know exactly what's up though.

Bus w**ker
Well from what I've read the lock/standby button is a feature of the latest OS. So it will at some point disapear in a 4.6 update no doubt. I've got a Bold though so I've no idea what the problem is with it locking and putting the phone on standby at the same time, I just use Alt + return to lock mine.

Crackberry said:
the "lock" button on the top left works. The "mute" button on the top right doesn't put it into standby mode though. People are right when they say that lock and standby have been combined into the lock button on the top of the device (I read the manual for the new OS and verified this). Also, holding down A locks the device as well; the screen immediately fades black when holding down A. I didn't see a lock icon anywhere but I don't have a password.

I'd say update, as long as you backup fully you'll lose nothing but time.

Bus w**ker
Cool. If the phone's in standby, will it still ring?
Yeah, the phone is basically just asleep. Any incoming function will wake it up and once completed it goes back to sleep again (apart from the LED flashing), good way to save on battery power. Only way to use it whilst in standby is to press the standby button again.

Only reason I don't use it personally is because my screen turns off once the phone is locked anyway and I don't like that when the phones on standby it doesn't request a password to turn standby off.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I took the plunge and overall i like it. But for some reason BBM has disappeared.

I just re-downloaded and installed it but the icon is nowhere to be found

Mk2 Golf GTI
Yeah, the phone is basically just asleep. Any incoming function will wake it up and once completed it goes back to sleep again (apart from the LED flashing), good way to save on battery power. Only way to use it whilst in standby is to press the standby button again.

Only reason I don't use it personally is because my screen turns off once the phone is locked anyway and I don't like that when the phones on standby it doesn't request a password to turn standby off.

I found that if you got to the password section, turn it on and the set the security timeout to 1 minute than it will require a password after the minute's up

Bus w**ker
I've always had that on, but has no effect when the phones in standby. No real issue for me though as I lock mine out of habit and if somehow I forget it auto locks itself.