ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blaupunkt Nav Unit

Im looking at putting a Blaupunkt DX-R70 (DIN) unit into my (soon to be delivered) Mk2 172 and had a few questions for you ICE masters. Ive had a few opinions from audio dealers but I reackon you guys know better and will give me the facts.

1) Does anyone have any experience with this unit - is it any good?

2) Is there anything I should be aware of when replacing the standard head unit with another one in a mk2 172?

3) I asked about the possibility of adapting the steering wheel controls. One guy said it could be done and another agreed but said it involved a lot of work. He said they have to put some kind of device behind the air bag which sends infra-red signals to the unit. Sounds dodgy to me - has anyone had this done with third party head unit?

4) If I cant get the wheel controls adapted, can they be easily removed? I might get the blaupunkt remote instead but I dont want buttons everywhere!

5) I will also be replacing the standard changer with a Blaupunkt one (CDC-A08). Will a larger changer fit under the passenger seat and mount easily where the Renault one is now? Would I be better off putting it in the boot?

Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Ben.

1) Never used it so dont know, Blaupunkt tend to be good quality and well priced units, but the controls can be a bit flimsy.

2) Dunno, sorry, dont have a 172

3) It will involve a lot of work..Sony and Kenwood provide adaptors for converting steering wheel remotes, but I dont think Blaupunkt do - might be worth mailing them and asking though. As you ahve been told it would involve pissing around with the controls in the stereo...if you dont mind the Blaupunkt remote - it will be far easier and cheaper.

4) I wouldnt remove the buttons on they wheel - anything like my sisters 306 and you cant anyway... it makes the car look original and less obvious to theives - plus could invalidyae warranties etc.

5) See point 2, IIRC though the Blaupunkt changers are quite compact so may fit - it is again a lot easier to fit in the boot as you dont have to remove seats etc...possible, but time consuming.