ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blipping Throttles

Ziel Nurburgring

Not to try and start an optimax vs unleaded style debate, but is there any point in blipping the throttle on clios or is it all a bit fast and furious?

If you do, what is the theory behind doing it?

If you blip it on the down-shift then you raise the revs to the point that the engine will bring them up to when you let the clutch out, therefore you will reduce drag and wear on the clutch and hopefully make the drive smoother as the engine speed will match the road speed when you re-engage the clutch.

Or something... lol

fat 182

arh! my old mr2 roadster SMT did that on its self sounded cool when you were raging the life out of it.

VW Potato

once you start its infectious! prolly uses a tad more fuel, but not enough to make that much difference. Blink - had you asked last night, i would have done a demo for you! :)

is it worth it on a Clio - yep, on any car with a nice free revving engine! :)

g

[Edited by Scudetto on 09 February 2005 at 4:09pm]

don't

do it all the time, habit now really, nice like the sound of the backpressure etc and trying to get exhaust to pop a bit

blipping on downshift is a good habit to get into, as already stated it reduces wear and tear on the clutch and drivetrain. Sounds fooking awesome on cars with sports exhausts i probably did it more often than i do now when i had the supersprint race system and decat on my 172.

Ziel Nurburgring

Meant it on the up shift and down shift, just wasnt sure if it was based on performance/engine health or just something people did cause it sounded good

Quote: Originally posted by Elle on 09 February 2005

:confused: Doesnt reving the engine whilst changing gear damage the flywheel?

no, you are matching (well trying to) the speed of the engine and the transmission, therefore putting less strain on the clutch etc.

VW Potato

blip on an upshift? Ive heard a Ferrari F40 do this, from 1st to 2nd, and in a car with a cranky shift, it seems to help. (although i suspect this is because you buy yourself an extra second or so before engaging 2nd, rather than the benefit if the blip itself). Try this when your Clio is box is cold - it seemed to work on my last Golf, but prolly not for the reason it works on a downshift.

g

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I know if I get back on the throttle really quick I get an awesome bang and usually a flame.

Are you saying to put the throttle back on before lifting off the clutch though?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Yep, I do it on downshifting aswell.. when you get it right you will know as your head wont lunge forward as you quickly bring the clutch back up.

I do this on down shifts all the time, but not on purpose, just learning to drive my daewoo matiz lol, it revs quite nicely for a car with no engine. My dad goes nuts at me everytime i do it thogh!

I do it on downshifts...makes for a smoother change when you have it perfected and the revs match...hence why most paddle shift boxes do it themselves so you dont get thrown through the windscreen all the time..Upshifts I am not sure there is much benefit as the revs will drop for the next gear...I can only see a benefit on turbo cars as some way of keeping the turbo spinning...because you are not completely closing the inlet..

Rob

Ive done so on the down shift on all my cars - not so easy to judge in the current one though because of the turbo!

I do this for the reasons stated above but sometimes I dont on purpose because I get better sounding pops and bangs from the exhaust and usually flames when I wouldnt if I was blipping

I was actually taught to do it on my advanced driving course!

Its a similar thing to "Heel and Toe", except youre not supposed to be doing two things at once (i.e. braking and changing gear) as an advanced driver lol