ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blocking Car Registration With DVLA

Alfa Mito 155TB

Hello

Are people aware that thieving scumbags can contact the DVLA and get your home address from your car registration?

Although the data protection act gives you some protection, the DVLA will post out your details within a week of the request going in.

My advice is you contact the DVLA and block the issuing of address details from your car registration...you have been warned !!:mad:

Alot of police officers do this as a precaution

Mk2 172 (Silver)

Yep. Got mine blocked because of my work. But I think if people are really interested and they pay something like £25, then they can still get the info.

So, slightly off the point, I could find out the address of the people who vandalised my Williams if I happened to know the registration? How?!

Alfa Mito 155TB

yes if you did have a car registration number, then the DVLA would write to you with the addresss....this information they give isnt regarded as top secret or private....similarly local authorities write to you with parking tickets you havent paid using the same channels

You could have a car like mine which has a registration but NO OWNER on record. I told the DVLA but there more than useless and said theres no owner although my car exists!

How do you go about blocking your reg, do you just call the main number and say I would like to block my registration please or is there a specific term/department you would need to say/contact.

Thanks.

id like to know too as id prefer people couldnt find my address, some muppets on a cruise site posted pics of my car and didnt obscure my reg, t**sers

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i couldnt care less try and steal my car i dare you!

and if you do manage it Mr B Bat will have a few words in your ear

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

peeps there are plenty of other ways to get someones address

you simply cant remain protected by the DPA it dont fooking work cos people open there mouths

Ive just called my sister (who works for the DVLA) to ask her about this. She says that it simply isnt true. You cannot write to the DVLA requesting details about a car without a very good reason or as my sister put it "willy-nilly".

There is however a service that the DVLA provide whereby you can pay to find out details about a cars history, but in all cases the recipient of any such details is also recorded.

I think this is a load of b****cks!

Its in direct contavention of the Data Protection Act.

Even police officers using the P.N.C. have to have "good reason" to check out a registered keeper, and are subject to random checks to make sure their checks are legit.

Dont panic people, you simply cannot get addresses etc, by just asking, same as HPI, gives you lots of history but no info on former keepers.