ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blood boiler- Has it happened to you

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
OK-

So yesterday I see a Clio I want to buy & contact the seller- its a private sale & so I spend a good hour on the phone going through bits as its over 5 hours away-
We agree a price as all seems ok & I confirm about 5 times that we are agreed on sale-

So, I jump onto my virgin trains account & purchase the one way ticket £68.40 to Ellsemere port- where he agreed to collect me tonight-

I piss about yesterday afternoon getting the money together which at one days notice is difficult through banks these days-

Just prepping to go this afternoon for the journey & get an Email NOT EVEN A CALL saying he sold the car to someone else this morning- sorry for the hassle- WTF!!! Sorry for the hassle-:mad:
Yeah what about the £10 HPI Check & the £70 train ticket....

YOU CNUT- I remember when people gave their word it actually meant something-

I feel like paying him a visit next time I go out to Birchdown & smashing his new car up...

I know he is under no obligation to give me any money etc etc or even sell the car to me until I collect it- but there is a small matter of common decency & manners- Something lacking in this society these days :mad:-

S
PS I offered a deposit & he couldnt do CNUTPAL

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
WTF did you expect lol? For him to turn down the sale? It's not sold until cash monies are in the hand IMO.

Makes you mad doesn't it!!

But, unfortunately, it's pretty much expected nowadays. I take it you replied to the email saying thanks very much you tosser, I enjoy wasting £70 on train fairs etc etc?

172 ph2
thats bad man! i remember a time when the person selling the car said il hold it for you or il give you first refusal and it ment something! but now that never happens, its all about making quick cash

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
How annoying is that. I'd be angry too.
I know I would have said to the other guy "I've got someone coming to look at it already, but if he doesn't want it you're welcome to it"

People are so desperate to get a sale sometimes.

S3, Polo
I agree a call would have been better manners - shows poor breeding to me! Your situation would have made me livid too!

However, we don't know his circumstances. For all we know, he may have had baileffs knocking on his door that he needed to pay.

I'm not excusing him, just offering one possible reason that he may have taken that action...

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Feel gutted for you.

I had bought a 182, sent a deposit etc, all good to go. Was due to drop off my old Lupo in the morning, then go pick up the 182. Got a phonecall about 8.30pm the night before being told he had changed his mind and couldnt sell me the car.

Still got rid of the Lupo and was left carless.

Good point though was that I got a newer car with a lot less miles for a lot lower price, so just keep looking, might end up getting a better deal after all.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Try seeing from the sellers side.
How many of us have wasted weekends etc waiting for non showing punters.

I'd sell to anyone with the money in there hand, 1st come 1st served.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Try seeing from the sellers side.
How many of us have wasted weekends etc waiting for non showing punters.

I'd sell to anyone with the money in there hand, 1st come 1st served.
I agree. You can't turn down a sale when someone's stood in front of you. No deposit, so no obligation.

?
s**t situation, sorry to hear it mate! Send him an email explaining how much of a cnut he's been but nothing too harsh imho.

Honda & VW
WTF did you expect lol? For him to turn down the sale? It's not sold until cash monies are in the hand IMO.

Sod off, put yourself in the guys shoes - you saying you'd simply shrug it off?

Thats crap mate, what an asshole - if someone came to buy it that quickly i'd imagine it was lined up when you were organising travelling, even if he told you that there was another person coming to view you'd have at least had an incling it could go before you get there, that way it'd be upto you if you wanted to risk buying a train ticket.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I can understand if someone offered you the cash you'd sell it there and then but not when you've agreed a sale already and they're travelling down to collect it. Cnutish.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sod off, put yourself in the guys shoes - you saying you'd simply shrug it off?

Thats crap mate, what an asshole - if someone came to buy it that quickly i'd imagine it was lined up when you were organising travelling, even if he told you that there was another person coming to view you'd have at least had an incling it could go before you get there, that way it'd be upto you if you wanted to risk buying a train ticket.
Being completely honest there's no way I'd travel for a car that I hadn't paid a deposit on, unless I knew the seller.
Switch it around, if someone had agreed to buy the car but hadn't paid a deposit, and I get a cash offer, I'm selling tbh.

That's happened to me too, I called up when I saw the ad (first person to call) then arranged to see it. I called them up before I set off & all was ok. I then got a call when I was literally 20 mins from there (been on the road for over an hour by now) saying someone had wired the money for it (without seeing it) and that was it, they'd accepted it. The person had called up that morning to do the deal (just before I'd set off)

Good stealers they were lol ! The employees didn't even communicate with each other ! :rolleyes: If they had done, i'd not have wasted my bloody time !

On the plus side, after waiting a bit I got a better car :D

Honda & VW
Being completely honest there's no way I'd travel for a car that I hadn't paid a deposit on, unless I knew the seller.
Switch it around, if someone had agreed to buy the car but hadn't paid a deposit, and I get a cash offer, I'm selling tbh.

Well i sold my Teg to a chap who travelled from Holland!!
And if someone suddenly turned up on my doorstep (highly unlikely considering private sales don't work like that) i'd have not let the car go until the Dutch chap had looked at it first.
If you've agreed a viewing then commen courtesy states you should allow this to take place regardless.

If someone said they wanted to view the car i would have suggested a time later that day to give sufficient time (to the 2nd dibs person) to cancel the arrangement if needed.

I'd lined up to see a car before but was informed they had someone on their way so would let me know asap whether they bought it or not, they did so i was informed so therefore didn't waste my time travelling or otherwise.

Win win situation if worked properly.

Honda & VW
To be honest i'd always drive/get a lift rather than use public transport as that way you simply don't go if anything changes and aren't out of pocket.

Its almost as bad as being told that the car is "mint", then driving 200miles to discover the "mint" car is dog s**t.

Clio 172 Cup!
Gutted for you m8 that a cnuts trick! :mad: I looked a 6 172s in one week looking for mine they were all dogs I had traveled 400+ miles looking then my mint 172 cup! turned up 1/2 mile down the road from me!:lolup: Hope you find a better car!;) I am going to have too do it all again as the Clio is too small for my needs! :dapprove:

STEALTH RAIDER
He may have sold it to someone else for a reason. Maybe somebody a lot closer than you so that he can pinch it back with that spare key in his safe :eek:. U never know these days, ive seen it done a few times. Me being one of em!!!! As they say dude, more fish in the sea ;)

Cup and R6
been through it a few times so know what you mean, only thing to do is shout some profanities and throw your toys out the pram then move on lol

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
-I have a couple of points to make on this-

Especially to Warren who is probably the sort of Person who has not understanding of the word integrity-

Firstly an agreed sale is exactly what it is- I agree to sell my car- Why did I buy it without seeing it- Simply- I know what Im buying & an hours worth of interigation over the phone was enough information I needed-

As for Warren & a couple of others posts they have missed the point totally-
2 things- Timewaster- I am travelling from London to Ellsmere Port in Cheshire & I forward you via Email my train ticket confirmation for 68 quid-
If you have a brain cell you know the person coming isnt a time waster----

Secondly-- Should the person sell if someone is on the doorstep offering cash- possibly a bit more...?? Well possibly yes IF THEY HAD ALREADY SEEN IT- ( I got to the add within 2 hours)

I can understand that, however once you agree to sell then actually that is real bad manners to allow someone else to look when its effectivly sold- I dont really care what people say-

Its common decency to of course line up another potential buyer on the proviso that they would be next in line....Especially as I was only looking that forthcoming day---
Its about having morales etc etc-
Perhaps some help dont get that concept-

I guess it doesnt matter nbow- but im sure those who understand what im referring to wil know that the guys bang out of order-

Im not naming & shaming the seller because in the interest of the forum the new person could join here ( it was a 182) & it wouldnt be fair to them to find out information about the previous owner as it would cast a shadow over the perception of their new, car....

Steve

Last edited:
  Not got a car
Its almost as bad as being told that the car is "mint", then driving 200miles to discover the "mint" car is dog s**t.

What happened to me when i was looking, She said it was a A1 condition RB 182, she sent me photos of every panel, wheel seat. i travelled 150 miles and it was a barn, scratched to f**k, all wheels curbed, leather with holes, what looked to be 2 bullet holes in the bumper.

What the f**k do some people think, i would turn up and buy it after saying i want a perfect one.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Same thing happened to a mate of mine.
Bristol to Leeds on a train. He got as far as Birmingham before they guy told him it'd been sold. Needless to say; he was livid.

Was piss funny for everyone else though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Each to their own. I don't consider a buyer serious until I've recieved a deposit. Had you paid a deposit, it's a different matter. You mentioned paypal, but what about a bank transfer? Or paying money into his account? I've had people say they are 100% buying the car, then not turn up. If I've taken a deposit the cars sold in my eyes, but not until then.

can't believe people do stuff like this. i'd be livid as well

have you asked him if he'll reimburse you the train ticket?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Each to their own. I don't consider a buyer serious until I've recieved a deposit. Had you paid a deposit, it's a different matter. You mentioned paypal, but what about a bank transfer? Or paying money into his account? I've had people say they are 100% buying the car, then not turn up. If I've taken a deposit the cars sold in my eyes, but not until then.

PAYPAL, Bank transfer was offer- both declined- wanted to deal cash-

Perhaps on reflection he secured me whilst agreeing to let someone else look-
Either way its bad Karma-

Best go & give the vee a blast----

S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I agree with Steve on the whole, but due to the complete lack of integrity and manners of people nowadays, I also see where Warren is coming from.

I've bought cars for £1500 before now just to honour my word when in reality they were not as described and I should have walked away.

My personal opinion is a mans word is final. You make a commitment, you stick to it. If everyone adopted this policy, the world would function a lot better!!

Albi blue 197
i was lucky with mine i was just coming home from sunderland and i saw it for sale i popped in to the man had a look and a drive explained i really liked but i would have to sell my car first but would he keep it till then he said yea no bother i gave him the 20 quid note in pocket as deposit n 2 weeks later went up n got it dead lucky i thought he cuda just fucked me off

^ that's the thing (Daniel's point) - if that was the agreement, that was the agreement

least he should do is attempt to save some face by covering your expenses (he is thousands of pounds up at the moment). presumably tricky if he's prepared to put you out like that in the first place though

Lucky escape I reckon apart from the rail fare. Anybody who behaves in this manner was probably less than honest when you were discussing details about the car. Probably realised he had been a fool and couldn't face someone travelling so far to be let down.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Thats a motherf**ker, these people from ellesmere port hey
Disclaimer - oh wait... On a serious note, unlucky la