ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bloody Mk2 lights!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I should've expected this from Clio rear lights!

I'm in the process of trying to change my ph1 lights to ph2, and can remove the old lights comfortably, but can't for the life of me get the little 'pins' up to change over the wires, I've tried pulling the wires and also dislodging the metal 'feet' with a screwdriver so small it sits right underneath the metal, but no luck...

Were everyone else's this hard to remove!?! Anyone fancy coming down to Exeter and doing it for me?

:dapprove:

Monaco Blue Mk2
Mate I was the same. Was driving me loopy. Percivere with that screw driver. Slide it in right to the back and then push the screwdriver down so that it prises the silver 'foot' up and out. You will most likely hear a click when it prises out of position and can then be pulled out. They are a pain but once you've done one you'll laugh and the rest will be easy. Just don't be afraid/think you are going to break something, you wont, it does require force.

I'd do it for you but unfortunately I'm in the North west.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, cheers mate, I'll persevere with it a bit longer. It does feel like I'm going to break something, and with it being important electrics I don't really want to do that!

Will try again on the weekend...

A well built VW
Out of curiosity have you lifted up the black plastic flap thats on the plug ???

Are you following fubars guide as its spot on

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah, am following the guide and have lifted the plastic flap right back, things still won't budge. I'll give it some more force next time!

Octavia VRS
I had problems with changing one light, I snapped one of the wires and had to get a neighbour to solder it for me. They are a bugger

Clio II and Grand Modus
You have to lift the small pins(plastic) at the back of the plug, then the pin´s come out very easy.....

A well built VW
Yeah the plastic pins need pushed out and then the wires should just fall out iirc these are directly behind the pins you need to have the flap up aswell tho

BMW E46 330i Touring
So, in this picture... whereabouts are the plastic pins?

cluster5.jpg

Are they actually behind this plug, effectively on the left hand side of the picture?

A well built VW
If i remember right they are underneath , they are kinda a v shape and if you put a small blade under them it helps the wires come out easily they are not like the clip on the top they just look like a cut out in the plastic

A well built VW
No its kinda like a clip of sorts that holds the wires in place - take a pic of side that is underneath the wires going into the plug and i could show you what i mean - i dont have a clio anymore or i would take some

Once you lift it the wires will pull towards you with ease

BMW E46 330i Touring
I'm just using Fubar's pics, so not great angles, but do you mean actually under eachof the metal feet, towards the back?

cluster9.jpg

the little black pins are on the other side of the plug from that pic, lift them up and the silver pins pull straight out! Really easy once you've done 1

Clio II and Grand Modus
What he said^^^

If the picture above is the front then the pins are on the back side of the plug.

Lift them with a small screwdriver and pull the wire out of the plug.

Beware not to break them plastic pins"!!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, not yet, I won't have a chance until Saturday because the missus needs the car for work and I don't get home until about half 9.

I'll investigate on Saturday and let everyone know how I get on!

lol... sorry i guess i should have added that part to my guide.

i thought it was obvious tbh, but i'll add it in to make things easier for everyone :)

the clip thing you have to carefully spring back is in PINK in the picture below. Its just a strip of plastic with a tooth on it which slots into the metal pin on the wire to hold it there :) There is a clip for each wire.

clip_thing.gif

what a great diagram!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Artistic genius! ;)

TBH if I was working out how to change the wiring myself from scratch I'd probably notice the clip, but I have just kinda followed your guide word for word!

Cheers Fubar, and I've PM'd you Day but hopefully that won't be needed now! :)

A well built VW
Dan did you get a 4yr old to knock that up lol

All will become aparent once you start and the second one takes half the time of the forst

I'm going to do an idiots guide* to swapping the wires around this weekend.

No offence mate lol

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, none taken... well, a little bit! ;)

I'm intrigued as to how I missed these little clips now, I'll have a better look on Sat.

A well built VW
They dont look like clips thats why you probs missed them - they are just like cut outs in the plastic and you would probably just think it was part of the moulded plug

Monaco Blue Mk2
Hmmm, don't remember doing this on mine...thats probably what the click was each time I popped one up! Ah well, nevermind!

Monaco Blue Mk2
Well...you learn something new everyday and all that..! Didn't even notice them on mine, let alone pull them out!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah, very much so. It's been done so many times before that I knew what it would look like, but I'm still surprised by how much more I prefer the red in the newer lights!

Also makes my 182-style bumper / exhaust fit in a bit better with a more modern back end.