ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blu Ray player or PS3?

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
I fancy a blue ray player but a PS3 would be rater good as well. I have an xbox so PS3 is not essential, but would the PS3 play and show blu-ray as well as a dedicated player?

Mito Sportiva 135
I was considering the PS3 but thought for the extra £100 plus extra kit like controllers and stuff, not much point really. Although having said that the PS3 has had some decent games out so far this year not available on the 360 - depends how much you like your games really. The PS3 is a good value piece of kit though really in my eyes.

The Sony BR player we recommended upscales existing DVDs though, not sure if the Panasonic one does that, but sounds good otherwise.

I would get these cables, great quality and very cheap to some overpriced ones which are pretty much the same - spoke to a few people and for digital signal pretty much all cable is the same for all intents and purposes.

2014 Focus Titanium
What most of these guys are saying isn't really true in my eyes. Forget about the games, the PS3 is one of the few players on the market which will encode all forms of Lossless HD audio(such as True HD, DTS-MA, LCPM), is fully firmware updatable and future proof, not to mention the fact it has WiFi (how many of you have a Cat 5 cable to your tv?).

To get the equivelant BD player you are looking at the Sony BDP-S550 which is around £230-250 (same prices as a 40GB PS3) so you might as well get the PS3 and have the added opportunity that there might one day be a game that comes out that takes your fancy, even if there isn't the PS3 is by far the better option because it has storage, PSN etc etc.

dk

911 GTS Cab
What most of these guys are saying isn't really true in my eyes. Forget about the games, the PS3 is one of the few players on the market which will encode all forms of Lossless HD audio(such as True HD, DTS-MA, LCPM), is fully firmware updatable and future proof, not to mention the fact it has WiFi (how many of you have a Cat 5 cable to your tv?).

To get the equivelant BD player you are looking at the Sony BDP-S550 which is around £230-250 (same prices as a 40GB PS3) so you might as well get the PS3 and have the added opportunity that there might one day be a game that comes out that takes your fancy, even if there isn't the PS3 is by far the better option because it has storage, PSN etc etc.
agreed, my dad has the s350 and the thing its lacking is DTS-MA which its seems around half of discs have, so you only get DTS, not the HD version, this is where the ps3 comes into its own, it is a very high spec player, especially as it has wireless updates as mentioned.

Also, the PS3 can stream HD TV shows from any PC. I use mine for watching Lost/Heroes etc. in 720p, playing Blu-ray movies, and playing the odd game. Pretty good value in that respect.

Without the desire to play games and stream content, then a standalone is probably better pound for pound.

Except for Wifi, Storage, PSN.

Oh right. Fair enough. I doubt the majority of people would consider those important for a Blu-ray player though. For someone not interested in games, wifi, streaming, storage etc. then they'd probably be happier with a standalone player in an AV rack to match their other kit. If someone is even remotely likely to bother with streaming/games etc. then yeah the PS3 is the ideal solution.

2014 Focus Titanium
Aye, I do agree, its just that BD players are always needing updates, and wifi means u dont need a wire trailing to your tv, many people who just want to view movies this will still be a good option considering its around the same price!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Sony have announced the replacements for both the 350 and 550 and both support DTS-HD MA.

LAS VEGAS, March 2, 2009 – Sony is adding four new Blu-ray Disc™ devices to its lineup today, including a stand-alone player with Wi-Fi® capability for easy BD-Live™ access and Blu-ray Disc home theater systems with S-AIR™ wireless audio.

The BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 stand-alone players and BDV-E300 and BDV-E500W BD home theater systems deliver full HD 1080/60p and 24p True Cinema™ output, decode the latest advanced audio codecs, and are BD-Live capable with your broadband internet connection and purchase of external memory.

"The demands of today's home theater go beyond pristine picture quality and our new Blu-ray Disc product line offers a breadth of technologies that deliver an amazing entertainment experience," said Chris Fawcett, vice president of marketing for Sony Electronics' Home Product Division. "Consumers don't want a living room cluttered with wires and the new Blu-ray Disc product lineup breaks down the wired barriers of the past."
Offering built-in Wi-Fi wireless network capabilities (802.11N/G/B/A), the BDP-S560 can easily connect to the Internet through your existing wireless home network to download and stream BD-Live content including additional scenes, short subjects, trailers, interactive games, and more. It also enables easy firmware updates to assist in keeping your player up-to-date with the latest Blu-ray Disc media and features.

While compatible with most wireless routers, the BDP-S560 also supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup™, for a quick and easy connection to enabled wireless routers. Additionally, the player is Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA®) ready, allowing it to connect to other DLNA compliant devices to share digital photos.
Since many consumers own extensive DVD movie libraries, the BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 incorporate Sony's Precision Cinema HD Upscale technology that converts standard-definition signals (480i) to near HD quality.
Additionally, the models add Sony's Precision Drive™ technology?, which helps to detect and correct wobbling discs from three directions, supporting stabilization of the playback of bent or scratched Blu-ray Discs and DVDs.

The BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 models support 7.1 channel Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS®-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding as well as bit-stream output via HDMI.

Both players support Deep Color video output and AVCHD discs encoded with x.v.Color™ (xvYCC) technology. They also feature compatibility with an array of video formats, including BD-R/RE (BDMV and BDAV modes), DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, CD, CD-R/RW (CD-DA format), and JPEG on BD/DVD/CD recordable media.

The models also offer an external port for local storage so users can add their USB flash storage device. The BDP-S560 features a front USB port for viewing photos from your USB flash memory device or directly from a digital camera.

Shipping this summer, the BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 will retail for about $300 and $350, respectively.
Styled to match the BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 with a black gloss exterior design, the HT-SS360 component home theater system is an integrated A/V receiver supporting full HD 1080p video and high resolution audio. Added to either of the new players, the theater system completes the package with 5.1 surround sound for a true cinematic experience.

The model will be available this May for about $350.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
i'll be getting a stand alone player this year without a doubt. ive got an orignal us 60g ps3 and it is really noisy, have to crank the volume right up on the amp on some quite scenes to drown out the bloody fan, really does piss me off. plus i reckon a good stand alone player will show the door to the ps3 with both picture and sound......

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'll be getting a stand alone player this year without a doubt. ive got an orignal us 60g ps3 and it is really noisy, have to crank the volume right up on the amp on some quite scenes to drown out the bloody fan, really does piss me off. plus i reckon a good stand alone player will show the door to the ps3 with both picture and sound......
thats strange as my 60gb one is pretty much silent, the only time i can barely hear it is when its upscaling.

I can't tell any difference between the picture on the ps3 and the sony standalone unit, they look identical.

I was torn between a PS3 and a standalone before Xmas, but decided to go for the Samsung BDP-1500.

Unless you're planning on buying games for the PS3 in the future, not much point in buying one only for BR

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
My 60GB is silent unless i've been playing it for 4+ hours.. then I sometimes hear the fan spool up.. but its still what I would class as quiet.

It's not actually "WRONG". Various sources suggest that a good quality standalone can provide better image quailty. Whether or not the user can see any difference would probably be largely down to the size & quality of their display. I doubt the average user would notice any difference between a PS3 and a good standalone, but it's not exactly "WRONG" to suggest the latter might be better for PQ.

Not everyone wants a PS3 in their living room FFS. Fanboy ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
The PS3 does a lot more than just play blu-ray and games.

If all you want is something that plays blu-rays then sure, buy a standalone.. taking the gaming aspect out of the equation you still have a full media centre within the ps3.

Citroen DS3 DSport
If I was not into gaming I'd probably prefer to use a standalone BD player and I'd buy a Popcorn Hour MediaTank or something similar for my media streaming needs as this has greater format support than the PS3. The PS3 media player is good but it cannot handle all files which my Apple TV running Boxee can.

Citroen DS3 DSport
ATV is very limited until hacked but it's a 2 minute procedure to hack so it's not a great issue.

The PCH is not so cheap anymore, you could get the original imported for under £130, but it'll easily outperform the PS3 for media playback.

2014 Focus Titanium
It's not actually "WRONG". Various sources suggest that a good quality standalone can provide better image quailty. Whether or not the user can see any difference would probably be largely down to the size & quality of their display. I doubt the average user would notice any difference between a PS3 and a good standalone, but it's not exactly "WRONG" to suggest the latter might be better for PQ.

Not everyone wants a PS3 in their living room FFS. Fanboy ;)

I'm not a fanboy, I don't even have a PS3! I have Media PC linked to my LCD TV via HDMI and I have an xbox 360 cos they rock. I'm asking people to get their facts right.

"Various sources suggest" means nothing tbh. I don't see any Standalone BD players having an 8 core processor to process the picture (yes I know its not all about processing power but u know where I'm going with this), and also the PS3 supplies ALL of the very top formats of sound. Now I am not saying that a PS3 is better, I am saying that a standalone isn't better, it can only be as good.

I completely agree with you Roy about all you have said, I was just correcting someone who said that a standalone player will perform better!

(L) you Roy

Edit: b****cks to this, we all have our different opinions, fact is which ever player you get you will be mightily impressed, I'll be eventually getting a PS3 because of the fact that GT will come out eventually. If not I would consider the S550 definitely!

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST
I'm not a fanboy, I don't even have a PS3! I have Media PC linked to my LCD TV via HDMI and I have an xbox 360 cos they rock. I'm asking people to get their facts right.

"Various sources suggest" means nothing tbh. I don't see any Standalone BD players having an 8 core processor to process the picture (yes I know its not all about processing power but u know where I'm going with this), and also the PS3 supplies ALL of the very top formats of sound. Now I am not saying that a PS3 is better, I am saying that a standalone isn't better, it can only be as good.

I completely agree with you Roy about all you have said, I was just correcting someone who said that a standalone player will perform better!

(L) you Roy

Edit: b****cks to this, we all have our different opinions, fact is which ever player you get you will be mightily impressed, I'll be eventually getting a PS3 because of the fact that GT will come out eventually. If not I would consider the S550 definitely!

Peoples opinion on the Panny BD35 which I just bought for £180:

crezzy2k1 January 4, 2009 02:13

Fantastic bit of kit!

Well happy with this Blu-ray player.

Picture quality is truly astonishing compared with the PS3 i was using before.

I bought this player to replace my PS3 and i can say that it is in another league!

The only bad thing about it is the disc loading time, the PS3 is very quick the panny is not.

But thats a small thing compared with picture and audio quality the panny brings.

5 stars well worth it. The PS3 is going on eBay.

Takepart December 9, 2008 16:32

Both me and a friend of mine bought the Panny 35 at the same time and are both very happy with our purchases.

I had used a Sony PS3 ( which is still good value for money as a bluray/games console/media streamer device ) but is a bit of a "jack of all trades".

The Panny, watched on my Pioneer PDPLX508D & my friend's Sony KDL 40V4000 screens ( using QED HDMI-P cables ), is a significant upgrade by recreating richer yet more subtle colours, deeper blacks with better resolution of dark scenes, sharper images with very little judder and upscales dvds showing warts and all. I can live with its slow ( compared to PS3 )loading of bluray discs.

I believe I would have to spend considerable more money to improve upon it. Therefore I consider it exceptional value for money.

a burnt one
I wish a knew how to fully utilise everything on my ps3 - desktop - laptop to stream shizzle.

Currently, even with 19 ps3 games and 12 blu-rays it's a Call Of Duty playing device.

Technology moves too quickly for me, ive just figured out how to use the RSS thing on my new phone, the 4th handset i have had which is capable.

So i guess, irrespective of what the ps3 can and cannot do, if you're clueless as to how to work most of it and are not a gamer than a standalone for £150 would be the best choice.