ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blue LED lights

i saw a pic of a clio dash (speedo and rev counter etc) lights converted to VW style blue lights, it look trick as f***, does anyone know how to do it?

Theres a description of the process at www.cliowelt.de in the tips/tricks section - in German tho.

Heres Altavistas translation:

Blue TAC elevation lighting up Clio B1 R-S 2,0 16v This guidance is to help R-S phase 1 with the change on a blue TAC elevation lighting up with the Clio (phase 1 should not give much deviations!) with the remaining Clio B. Necessary material: - 10 blue SMD LEDs with high brightness (approx. 140mcd) and Iv = 20mA - 2 Torx screwdrivers (1x for the screws of the Amaturenbretts and 1x a size smaller for the Tacho) - soldering iron with suitable soldering point for SMD - filler wire - Entloetlitze or Entloetpumpe - fork - pencil Development of the cover of the Amaturenbretts: When first must the cover of the steering wheel is removed, in addition the 3 Torx screws on the lower surface of the steering wheel cover to solve. Afterwards it applies to loosen 7 further Torx screws to be removed per one laterally (Tuere open completely, then one can see them), three screws in the louvers with the windshield and last is still 2 screws direct under the Tacho, which became visible when removing the steering wheel cover. So that the cover removed, still the a-columns can weden lining must be removed (are only attached). Now the whole Amaturenbrettaeckung can be pulled out toward interior.

Development Tacho: After the cover of the Amaturenbretts far away is visible will the Tachomodul and can through solve from 4 Torx screws and plug off the two wires to be removed. At the wires it has two levers, with which the strands are loosened from the Tachomodul.

Change Tachomodul: Now where the module is developed, this must be also still divided. First remove, is only attached the cover plate. Afterwards the Torx screws (small size) on the rear side of the module loosen, so that the cover on the rear side can be removed. Now still remove, is likewise only attached the cover on the front. So that one to electronics ran comes must also the pointers be removed. Note: Beforehand absolutely the 0-Stellungen of the pointers marks. The pointers can be taken off with the help of the fork, but proceeded carefully, not pulled too strongly! If all pointers are distant, also the Tachoscheibe can be separated from electronics. Now it applies to exchange the LEDs. Ever two LEDs with the Tacho and tachometer, per one with the tank display and with the coolant temperature display and four LEDs for the background lighting of the on board computer. When the old LEDs removes first carefully (entloeten!), afterwards the new solder (note: polarity!).

The original LEDs (orange) needs a voltage of 2.2V, the blue however approx. 3.5-3.8V, therefore possibly also still the Vorwiederstaende must be adapted. With the lighting of the measuring instruments (Tacho, number of revolutions, tank and water temp.) I have 0 ohms of restatuses used, since the voltage is anyway too deep, not to adapt during the background lighting 47 ohms depending upon leuchtstaerke of the LEDs ists however necessarily the pre-resistors.

Hope you can make sense of it all, I cant!

Ned.

ive been wanting to get one of those conversions for ages, i reckon i might give taht a go at the weekend. i will let ya no how i get on.

Theyre not bulbs, theyre SMD (surface mounted diode) LEDs. You need a soldering iron to replace them. The problem with fitting them is the current needed to light them properly. If you use red or green they would probably be a straight swap but blue LEDs need more current so you probably have to fit pre-resistors (so it say0s above).
Ive tried to do this before with a nokia 3210 but the LEDs are so small I found it practically impossible. Dashboard LEDs are a bit bigger (I hope).

[Tonys] check the gallery

The blue LEDs work off a lower voltage.
It would be done quite easy.
I may attempt it, i know one of my mates have done a simular thing ill have a ganders at his first.
I did think bout it a while back, but like i said the backs of the dials are orange. So the LEDs have to be infront of the dials.

tonys, u said that the dials all have orange backs so no matter what colour u put behind it u reckon they will still shine through orange. is this on those white dials or the standard 16v ones. where would you put the leds then if they cant go behind?

On all dials weather standard renault or lockwood ones.
I guess if you took all the lights out from behind the dash and fitted some blue leds infront of it pointin towards them it could work?
The VW ones work compleatly different, they dont have bulbs or leds.