ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blue Screen Of Death

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
My mates XP machine keeps rebooting but i cant get it to stop long enough to see what the message on the BSOD is.

How do i disable auto restart when i cannot access Windows XP in any mode?

SLK 350
Guessing it's probably something to do with a corrupted .sys file, but thats a very long shot unless of course you give us more details.

Useful details would be system spec, at what point it crashes (during boot-up? after windows 'loads?'? during gameplay/intensive applications?

All helps ;)

As a suggestion try booting into safe mode, you can do this via tapping F8 on boot-up, and select safe-mode from the menu. This will help because if its still crashing you can rule out any sort of driver corruption/hardware conflict and points to something within the OS, or possibly a virus.

RB 182
Check the computer doesn't have caps like the link on the motherboard as I've come across loads of these and they just reboot as well.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Firstly i cannot get into Windows at all to turn off auto reboot.

When i run safe mode it gets to loading the AGPSYS file then as it begins to start the windows app it just BSOD's and reboots.

If i run in normal start up it get past the white bar to the WINDOWS XP icon then just reboots again.

Any ideas to save me having to reinstall XP and loosing all his work?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
some versions of XP have the option to turn off the auto reboot in the F8 menu on startup. Whilst the computer is starting up, just keep pressing F8, between the POST and Windows Startup it should give you that menu.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Saner said:
some versions of XP have the option to turn off the auto reboot in the F8 menu on startup. Whilst the computer is starting up, just keep pressing F8, between the POST and Windows Startup it should give you that menu.

Cheers mate your a saviour thats what i was looking for.

Right the message is UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Is this the fixboot command or the CHKDSK /R?