ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bluetooth Question for iphone 3GS?

I have a question if you please? I have just got an iphone 3gs and am trying to bluetooth to my old samung jet but it will not pair? so tryed with a blackberry my wife has but will will not pair? it will find the phones but not pair? any ideas?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
It's only apple to apple. Everytime i've tried it it never works just keeps seaching even though the phone's was next to each other.

And before the sarcastic replies (not that this does'nt happen in CS lol) yes both bluetooths was turned on.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The simple answer is that it only supports limited bluetooth profiles, things like headset etc.

The slightly longer answer is that it'll only find devices which support "headset" profile.

The even longer answer is covered by NDA's that take months to get through.

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
The iPhone doesn't support native bluetooth file transfer like most other modern phones... the reason behind this is that the iPhone is effectively a rather large capacity iPod... therefore Apple, wanting to protect the iTunes part of the business, have disabled file transfer via bluetooth on the iPhone to prevent people from sharing music (which is illegal), the downside of this, is that it also prevents genuine uses like transferring other files like photos.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The iPhone doesn't support native bluetooth file transfer like most other modern phones... the reason behind this is that the iPhone is effectively a rather large capacity iPod... therefore Apple, wanting to protect the iTunes part of the business, have disabled file transfer via bluetooth on the iPhone to prevent people from sharing music (which is illegal), the downside of this, is that it also prevents genuine uses like transferring other files like photos.

Not really as any file system they'd present over bluetooth would be a subfolder on the phone and you'd never have access to any of the system folders. In addition, iOS sandboxes each and every application so that it can only write to it's own documents folder, there's no concept of system wide documents therefore bluetooth transfer is pretty pointless (sure they could add symlinks in the virtual folder to application data). Couple that with the fact that bluetooth is eye wateringly slow and you'll end up at the point where you just realise there's no point in implementing it. (unless you're a thirteen year old boy/girl in which case you *must* have bluetooth file transfer)

Even iCloud still works using the sandboxed model.