ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BMC induction kit cleaning?

b/g 182, meg tourer
soapy water, good rince. dont use a toothbrush, it will damage it. wash dirt away with clean water. dry on low heat and low speed hairdrier or leave it in the airing cupboard.

then once dry, re-oil and re-fit.

(sorry thought it said k&n. same process for bmc but you can squeeze the foam to get the dirt out in soapy water)

I clean my foam filter in fairy liquid and hot water, Soak for ten mins. Wash inside out to make sure the dirt is washed out.. Dry in radiator if poss, I get impatient and use a hair dryer.

Then re oil. Id try and use BMC oil if it exists.

Edit: Too late :approve:

Italian 3.2 V6
need to clean my aswell tbh..

What's oil called? Air filter oil? :S

Were can u buy it from? Halfords etc?

PSJ.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
wanted today to get the bmc air filter cleaning kit and the supplier said that it's out of stock so he recommended me the Motorex air filter cleaning kit instead. being a well known brand I went for it.
the thing is, the label says it's a foam air filter kit and the BMC is made from cotton
am I gonna risk a thing or it's all marketing bull*** ?

17RS2'd Cup
Cleaned mine yesterday so I got a cleaning kit doing nothing now. Not keeping the bmc so wont need it again. If anyone wants it drop me a pm. It has the detergent, oil and instructions.
But yeah, clean with water and cleaning product, let dry and re oil.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I know the procedure, just wanted to know if the oil which apparently is for foam filters can be used on cotton filters like the BMC

If the Motorex Air filter Oil you got is the thick sticky type then no you carnt use it on the Bmc cotton type it is too thick and will block it up, its only meant for Foam filters ie motorbikes etc thats why its more motorbike specific brand just pick up a K and N Airfilter Recharger Kit and use that its fine on all cotton type filters.
You can however use the Motorex Airfilter Cleaner on Foam or Cotton filters and works a charm hope this helps you out.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
it's a 750 ml spray and doesn't look sticky or thick (I test sprayed it on a piece of paper)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
you mean foam/cotton air filter oil can be swapped? can't buy from halfords as I'm not from the UK

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
LOL thx! oil is a lot thinner than engine oil but a bit thicker than wd40 let's say. so I guess it's ok

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
obviously I won't be using wd40, just said that the motorex oil I got is somewhere between wd40 and engine oil thickness wise.

Well if you look at the Motorex Website
http://www.motorexoil.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=64
You'll see it doesnt mention being suitable for cotton type airfilters, having used alot of the Motorex brand before on motorbike filters i think you'll find it too thick and tacky and will most likely block alot of flow to the engine choking the airflow making it run rich etc.
If you've cleaned the filter and have nothing else then use it very sparingly and see how you go but honestly why not just get the right product to do the job, remember this is the thing that stops contaminates going into your engine like dust etc.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
the car feels ok with this but probably I'm gonna buy the BMC oil next time and sell this one. only bought it because the BMC wasn't available at that time. I'm keeping the cleaner though ;)