ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

bonnet catch letter,

kic

former 1.2 16v, now corsa
i know there has been a few trheads on this but i got my letter today and was wondering do i need to go get it checked as i had a crash back in march and the catch was replaced???

Never above 25mpg
Just go in and let them have a look at it. They wont replace it if they dont need to and your car will then be off the system anyway.

No harm in going in as its all free anyway!

kic

Just go in and let them have a look at it. They wont replace it if they dont need to and your car will then be off the system anyway.

No harm in going in as its all free anyway!

but i'am lazy lol, i know what you mean though better safe than sorry,

Clio 172
i had this yesterday too.had mine looked at when i bought a new key 2 weeks ago tho so dont think i have to go.guy in renault said they had to check every clio

Never above 25mpg
Yeah your 172 will be covered.

I was in Platinum yesterday getting mine done and a quite a fit girl came in saying she had the letter for her Y reg Clio. On the way out I had a look at her car and it was a MK2PH1.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Yeah your 172 will be covered.

I was in Platinum yesterday getting mine done and a quite a fit girl came in saying she had the letter for her Y reg Clio. On the way out I had a look at her car and it was a MK2PH1.

So should i phone renault then? I doubt its been done by the previous owner as it looks a bit rusted as if its the original?:eek:

Never above 25mpg
Mine was absolutely rusted to hell!! Yeah just go into Renault now theyll do it there and then for you.

All mk2s they are recalling them in stages, any signs of corrosion and they will replace the entire catch.

Lou

Wonder if I should take mine in! I got it in October but don't know if previous owner had it checked or not!!

kic

i got my car in november and this is me just getting the letter

my car went in for a service last week...

they replaced it anyways...

its the whole unit...looks nice and new..

Do you need a letter to get the catch replaced?

Sorry if some one has said and ive missed it.

Mine does look a bit rusted. and Renault is at the bottom of my road.

Never above 25mpg

Nope!! Just go for it in the lunch break tomorrow, doesnt take long at all :rasp:

Nope!! Just go for it in the lunch break tomorrow, doesnt take long at all :rasp:

thats if they have the parts...plus, usually they try to take as long as possible...

they keep your car as long as possible...

and generally drag their arse...

just wait till your next service...

Never above 25mpg
Thats why i went in unscheduled and mine took half an hour and was sorted with a brand new one...

Should goto my dealers ;)

1998 BMW e46 323i
ooh, may pop in to the one near work tomo. Save me dying on the M'way I guess! What do you say, will the divs who work there know what I'm talking about?

1998 BMW e46 323i
I'll see if they have the parts and time tomo (not holding my breath). I would wait till my next service at Renault, but I'd be waiting til hell freezes over. Indies FTW

1998 BMW e46 323i
just popped in to arnold clark, st helens near work. Girl said they were chocker now but i could bring it in at 2.15 and should take 25 mins. Had to give her my VIN, and felt like she would have fobbed me off given half a chance. But hey can't be bad. Better safe than with a windscreen full of bonnet.

RB 200 Cup!
just popped in to arnold clark, st helens near work. Girl said they were chocker now but i could bring it in at 2.15 and should take 25 mins. Had to give her my VIN, and felt like she would have fobbed me off given half a chance. But hey can't be bad. Better safe than with a windscreen full of bonnet.

sounds like arnold clark def from what ive come to read on this forum lol

1998 BMW e46 323i
She seemed to change her approach when I said I'd rather it was checked for a recall than have it flip up on the motorway killing me.

To be fair to them it was 9am Monday morning, a busy time for a garage. But they are Stealers, so what do you expect?

1998 BMW e46 323i
just thought i'd update you all. The dealer told me 20 mins, kept me waiting for an hour. They left my lights on and just greased the old catch! Was in a rush to get to work, but went back asked what they'd done and was told they'd greased the catch. I voiced my concerns at the time they'd taken and the risks i faced as the catch mech' had rusted. The girl checked with someone and told me before a fault occurs they will not replace it! I said after the mech' faulters it's too late! Had to leave and i've just got off the phone with reno uk. Who've given me a case ref and are going to speak with the dealership and feedback today. Doesn't surprise me in the least TBH. Stealers!

Ive booked mine in for weds. 8am ! which is early for me seeing as i dont get up before 12.

Going to take it down there then, he said it would be a five minuite job. I hope they dont f**k me about. He asked me if i had a letter but i said i was told i didnt need one, So i hope the catch will be replaced as it also has some rust around the bolts.

I will update on weds !

Edit: poor spelling.

Last edited:
  1998 BMW e46 323i
If customer services doesn't sort this I will never buy another Renault. They really do have the worst customer services.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
ive done about 20 bonnet catches in the past week, stop coming in, im getting pissed off with doin em now

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
lol its taking the piss now, i had a catch today that was so rusted the bonnet wouldnt even catch lol, proper seized up.

by the way all mk2 clios are intilted for the catch 2 be changed, 1998 on the R onwards

1998 BMW e46 323i
cust' services woman rang me back today, said she'd spoken to the garage who'd thought the catch was rusted but ok. She wants me to get it seen by another dealer. I've got her to book it in for me somewhere else. She said she thought it should be replaced. They're just dragging their feet. Said i'll get in touch with watchdog if they don't replace it for me. Part of the reason i bought a reno was their safety record etc. C@nts!

Went in yesterday. The guy took my car into the garage. 5 mins later it was back on the forecourt with a new bonnet catch ! :D.

Happy its one less thing to worry about on the car now.

Renault Clio Mk2 PH2 DCI
Went in today asked about it seen as i was there, told me i had to book it in plus they had to order it in first, i said well get it in today i got the day off they said we cant doo that so i told them i cant take time off work soo if i die ill get you sueed yeh wasnt to happy about it. but personally if it works already i wouldnt worrie to be honest mines done high speeds no problems other than windscreen rubbers coming off haha

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I just chucked the letter in the bin when I got it.

A bit of WD40 every now and again, like I have always done.