ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bonnet won't open..

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Last week I went to check my oil etc as my car hasn't been used for a month or so whilst at uni, pulled the inside lever, it was a bit stiff and nothing happened. Kept on trying and now it just feels extremely loose and I can hear the mechanism click, but the bonnet doesn't release.

I've tried pushing on the bonnet as the lever is pulled, but no luck, and I can't get to the mechanism through the grill.

Any advice? Thanks.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The catch becoming clogged with s**t and not opening is quite common (for the same reason they also stayed open when being closed again), there was a recall on the latches.

Hmm, don't think it is clogged. It feels as if something has snapped because it is so slack and just clicks.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
You saif you've tried pushing it. Have you tried pulling it or someone pulling it as you lever the release handle?
I don't think there is anywhere to grip as it still sits flush. It's the inside lever which I think is broke, not the bit which you lever under the bonnet.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I was thinking about this the other day and I think removing the bumper is one way of getting to the bonnet release. There are 2 plastic screw things on the top of the grill which will be under the bonnet though but im sure you could pop these off with a screw driver. you should then be able to use your had to open the catch.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Same problem on mine a while back. Two person job to open the bonnet as previously said, or I fasioned a piece of string to the release lever so I could pull it while lifting the bonnet. Fixed it when I took the latch off and cleaned it up with a bit of WD40 and then just repositioned it.

182T
Davy, if it is the lever inside the car as you say I think you can just pull it off and get some grips on the square ended spindle.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Jacksons got it. Take the interior trim off the in the footwell. The lever will come off with it and you'll see a spindle. Unscrew the whole spindle off the metal and give the wire itself a firm tug. If it comes loose youve got a snapped cable. If it's still firm and not opening, you've got a bodged catch. To get the catch open take off all the bumper fixings and then pull it forward and reach under the slam panel near one of the headlights to find the wrong end of a screw poking out of 10mm nut (or a three armed plastic thing with a screw inside, break this they're cheap to replace). Undo this and there should be another at the same place near the other headlight. Once they're both off and the screws pushed out the bumper will come off with a bit of playing about. You'll be able to see the catch now

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Got the bumper off, and still cant see a thing! Haven't tried the interior thing yet.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just took the lever off, havent taken the spindle off as it wont come loose for some reason. Can hear it ticking so i dont think the cable is snapped. So frustrating

With the bumper off you can access the catch with a long screwdriver from the front. If you shine a torch in there you can see a small letter box shaped hole in the slam panel. You can see the mechanism through there. Screw driver and hammer towards passenger side and it will release.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Did that jist before you posted and popped it open. The slider was solid and wouldnt move but all is sorted now, what an annoying job for something so small! Thanks.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
This happened to me today, from reading the above comments I managed to find a quick solution for the interior pull not appearing to work. Instead of using a human to hold the pull up i used a intior cleaning brush to hold it in the open postion and pull the bonnet. Replacment catch has now been order and lubbed up in meantime 😂 cheers for the tips 👌

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 452
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 432
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 417