ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Boot Installs...

Im working on my boot install for my 1.4 Si, and am trying to hide the amps under a false floor, with just my bass box sitting on top in view, so if I need the boot space, I can take the bass box out and voila!!!! In the Si the spare wheel is set to one side, so I was thinking of setting the amps to the other side, and building a lid, so that I can get access to the amps and spare wheel when necessary...

Has anyone else built a false floor, any ideas on the best way to go, Its even been suggested that I forget about the spare wheel, and just go for it properly...

Also whats the best way to get a tight fit on your Amp racking so it doesnt vibrate or rattle???

Questions, Questions... Sorry guys.... :oops:

Hi mate I have a mk1 clio so it will be a bit different, especially as my spare wheel is mounted under the car, but the principal is the same I guess.

I took out the boot carpet and used that to draw around on a big piece of MDF (I think about 3/4" thick) I then cut this out and cut out any little slots in the edges to make a perfect fit. Then I covered it in box carpet. Because it was so big, heavy and such a good fit, I didnt need to use anything else to secure it, it just wedged in nicely.

If you wanted to do a lid that would be easy, just need a couple of cabinet hinges from B&Q. You would need the ones that open more than 180 degrees. You could even do what I was going to and build little mdf walls to separate your lid from your false floor. Just use some mdf offcuts nailed/screwed to the floor.

Here are a couple of pics of my rather amateur install so you get what I am on about:

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/b_parfitt2001/lst?.dir=/My+ICE&.view=thttp://uk.photos.yahoo.com/bc/b_parfitt2001/lst?.dir=/My+ICE&.view=t

I did the same with the boot carpet, but that was never a snug fit, but now have managed to make a cardboard stencil of the floor of my boot, which will need trimming once Ive sound deadened it all, the main prob I have I suppose is once Ive cut a nice snug fit piece on MDF, how do I manage to wiggle it in...

Is it worth not making it so tight, and then using filler to get it snug, atleast that way itll be extra secure... The idea being that once Ivebuilt it all, I can start upgrading... :D Nice new Amps, and a set of 12" subs instead of just the one 10" :D. The build design is taking time, but like I said I wanna get it right first time, Your subs look like they give a nice bit of punch (wake the neighbours up when you get back late :cool:), what amps are you running, and did you bother sound deadening the boot, if so what did you use???

When you put all that in your boot, did the cars performance drop big time??? Or does it still run nice??? What battery did you stick in, I was thinking of putting an Optima Yellow top in mine, as I get the lights fading prob when I turn my steering wheel, so hate to think whatll happen once Ive got my Amps and subs in there....

Ditching the spare wheel is always easier for an install but you could make an access panel to get to it if you want to keep it. If you are having a false floor then it will be more difficult. Is it possible to get one of the spare wheel racks like on the Phase 1 Clios welded onto the underside of the boot? If so that would solve the problem.

With regards to fittng the floor. Build up the height that you need on beams of 2x4 or whatever you need and then fit the MDF on top in 2 seperate pieces. It is easier to get it in and manouvre in 2 pieces. You should also be able to make it fit better. We always put a layer of waterproof foam material under false floors to stop any unwanted vibrations. You could always use some kind of Silicone sealant as well if you think it is needed.

Oh and definately sound deaden the boot floor, the bootlid, behind the side panels and the front doors. That will improve the sound quality no end and get rid of rattling. If you intend putting a big system in there then you are fighting a losing battle against rattling so its more lke damage limitation. As an idea we have at least £500 worth of sound deadening material in our car but the whole backend shakes and rattles..i hate to think what it will be like next week when the new system goes in.

With no spare wheel problems you can do whatever type of install you like..for instance have a browse at the pics of our demo car on the below link.

http://www.evilice.freeservers.com/cliodemocar.htmhttp://www.evilice.freeservers.com/cliodemocar.htm

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

I have a full size spare wheel, and I always thought that the wheels they stick under the car are those baby half size ones, I was thinking of buying a can of that puncture repair stuff, and just getting rid of the spare wheel all together, but Im looking at putting an access hatch in, just seeing if thatll work first, if not bye bye spare wheel...

At the mo its just the single 10" in a Kenwood bass box, but Im gonna be sticking in 2 x 12" subs with my own bass box... I hat to think what its gonna do to the rear suspension.... :D

If I was to stick a Yellow top Optima in my car, would I need any kinda special mounting to hold it up, or does the clio tend to hold the battery quite well???

That depends. If you are putting it in the frontthen there shouldnt be a problem. If it is going in the rear with a splitcharger then you will need to make some kind of bracket system

Russ

btw russ, i think i might order some components at the end of the month...hopefully it goes better than last time hehe:)

Yeah hopefully. I had someone else ask for some of the components you were after a few days after you rang, I called Haydon Labs (the MB Quart importers) and got the same response as when you tried to buy them.

Let me know whenever youre ready.

Russ

yeah it will be a few weeks like, im working some hard core overtime to try and get enough for a decent set...im set back this month cause im getting my window tints done darker!