ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BP ultimate 102 Octane!!!

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
How big a part in performance does fuel play?

I seriously just use normal unleaded in my clio.

How much of a difference would I notice with any of the above mentioned fuels?

- Mark

performance wise wont really notice it, however I found it runs alot smoother i.e smooth idle etc..

mini cooper (RIP 172)
by the way the 172, 182 and i guess the 197 are "maped" to run 98ron

i always used tesco 99 or vpower!

when i put 95ron in it ran a little lumpy on idle but dint really notice any other diffrance, its not goin to be a big diffrance, just a small one! its cleaner as well;)

many
Stick with Optimax or V Power or whatever the rebranding of it was.

It comes from a single source and is at least consistant.

99 is a maximum spec for the Tesco branded product, V Power is a minimum spec AFAIK ;)

Did you have a look at the test? in the link i put up?

The CSL was tested for 11.500miles the Tesco 99 was the most consistant, and best bang for buck!

leon

No sorry Leon.

If I read a Shell independant test it will tell me similar, if I read a BP independant test it will also tell me thats good too.

Having friends who do research and development on fuels over in the labs at Ellesmere Port I dont read into tests too much. They have been testing fuels at their track in Cheshire for far greater than 11.500 miles lol.

He's worked their for 20+ years lol and can bore me to death with knowledge.

LOL I love all this, using 97 really isnt going to make a noticeable difference in a 1*2 You wanna do a series of tests get your mate to alternate fill ups so you dont know whats in it and see if you can tell the two apart. Its all in the head!

^Does seem like that, but id rather be safe than sorry and dont want to run the risk of decreasing the cars performance.

My DC5 is mapped to run on 100 RON so i use the closest to that available.

As already stated and imo, if you cant afford to buy the correct petrol you shouldnt have the car thats meant to be run on such.

Its not about not being able to afford it I just dont see the point! Don't see sweet FA in smoothness or accel & if you do you a MUG!! (not talking about you my friend but other clio owners)

The car has a knock sensor! What do you think its there for?

Fair enough in a 102 ron import! but thats different!

You can get additives to raise the octane ethenol I believe. (may work out cheaper I dont know)

^^^^^^^^Maybe your right mate, but if you put the best gear in you can afford, you know your doin all you can to aid performance/responsiveness, and the cleaning agants help!

People spend £££ chasing a couple of BHP, why not try and get a couple out of your fuel? you need to buy petrol any road!

leon

Normal 95 has detergent in also btw (or anti coking agents) whatever you want to call it. If your worried about your injectors clogging up then just make sure you give the car some abuse every now and then. You see so many diesels that plume the black smoke out when they boot it!!

Edit: your right though if you want the very best then why not. Personally dont see an advantage but its upto you at the end of the day its up to you to decide how you prioritise your money!

Its not about not being able to afford it I just dont see the point! Don't see sweet FA in smoothness or accel & if you do you a MUG!! (not talking about you my friend but other clio owners)

The car has a knock sensor! What do you think its there for?

Fair enough in a 102 ron import! but thats different!

You can get additives to raise the octane ethenol I believe. (may work out cheaper I dont know)

Yeah, must admit i didnt notice much performance difference between 95 and 97 in my clio, although i had to change sparks and coil pack at 49K.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
Tesco's all the way for my Tubby. Every test i have seen Tesco has consistently out performed all its come against. However at the moment its not much cheaper than optimax, however i use Tesco's out of preference. It used to be Tescos was a godd 5-6p a litre cheaper, but only tends to be 1-2p difference now. As for the mpg, unless you were on a rolling road, running in perfectly identical conditions on each fuel, how can you honestly tell the difference? 20-30 mile differences could be anything from getting stuck in a bit more traffic, colder weather, heavier use of throttle, anything.

many
Wasnt that long ago that a certain supermarket branded fuel distributor was caught messing about with fuels and messed up a hell of a lot of diesel cars remember. Single source supply wins everytime