ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake balance controller/adjustment

Brake balance adjustment is used to adjust a % of the brake force front to rear or vice versa. Used in racing applications if the driver was locking the fronts he would adjust more to the rear.

To adjust across front wheels would be very dangerous the car would pull under braking to which ever side had the most braking force

172 cup'd extreme

bias valve under the car near the rear swingarm get a pro to adjust it as it can be dangerous

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by 16v_jon on 14 August 2005
bias valve under the car near the rear swingarm get a pro to adjust it as it can be dangerous

thats the headlight adjuster dude (for the auto leveling xenons)

AFAIK RSclios dont have a bias valve

Lionel Richie

its either controlled from the master cylinder or i guess there must be some kind of inline valve somewhere, ill have a look at yozzas cup on monday and report back!!!

TBH i havent got a clue, but the crappy little thingy on the rear beam is for the headlights (cups dont have it)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 14 August 2005

its either controlled from the master cylinder or i guess there must be some kind of inline valve somewhere, ill have a look at yozzas cup on monday and report back!!!

TBH i havent got a clue, but the crappy little thingy on the rear beam is for the headlights (cups dont have it)
Be careful with it in the wet..

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Why do I want/need adjustment across the front axle?

My car runs empty i.e. no sh*t in it at all, all the time, the back is stripped out, and its rare that I drive with a passenger.

When braking hard solo, I consistently get the front left locking, way before the right does. When two up, they both lock together.

So Im working on the basis that having just me (75kgs) on one side of the car is unbalancing it when it comes to maximum braking force on the front axle.

This became apparent two days ago when some 90yr old with a death wish in a Morris 1000 pulled out in front of me after some rain. I pulled up in good time, but it was cadence braking that saved me as the front left kept locking over and over again. If they were properly balanced Id have been able to apply heavier pressure as both tyres would be working as hard as each other...wouldnt I?

So Id like to be able to adjust the balance depending on if its just me, or me +1.

Possible? Not possible? No-ones done this then?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Corner weighting? Anyone have a set of corner scales?

So I need take 37kgs from the right side of the car...and move it to the passenger footwell? Or is that a bit simplistic?

Standard suspension, 539s (as always), 29F/33R...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

but the clio has over 600kg over the front end anyway?

You being on your own should not affect braking at all, id say theres more something wrong with your car/brakes than with the cups std brake setup.

Lionel Richie

ok standard suspension aint helping

tyre pressures would be the easier way to sort it

front left 30psi, front right 32psi

rears both at 28psi

experiment a bit

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 15 August 2005

but the clio has over 600kg over the front end anyway?

You being on your own should not affect braking at all, id say theres more something wrong with your car/brakes than with the cups std brake setup.
I look at it this way...

Weight distribution is approx. 65% front / 35% rear
Total weight is approx 1,000 kgs - so thats 650kg on the front...

...or 325kgs each side unladen.

Stick me in the drivers seat and you get NS 325kgs / OS 400kgs - that would explain why it locks NSF when solo, but doesnt two-up...wouldnt it? I mean, the OS tyre has nearly 25% more mass bearing down onto it.

The above assumes that the car is even NS/OS when static, and I know that the F/R split will change under braking as weight transfers from rear to front, but how could you work that into these figures?

[Edited by MarkCup on 15 August 2005 at 4:39pm]

Yup, tracking is OK, and discs pads are wearing evenly.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

^^^ errr...OS?

Not really getting anywhere with this am I LOL

Am I resigned to having to take 3 crates of beer with me to each trackday, so that I can stuff them in my passenger footwell to get the corner weights right?

TBH, Im so comfortable/dialled into my tyre pressures et al, that I wouldnt want to start altering them.