ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Fade

BMW M3

I am no mechanic, nor do i go on track days etc... so i was wondering whether anyone here could help. The other day i was making the best use of some of Scotlands finest countryside roads and was driving my 182 quite entusiastically for about 45 mins on very twisty roads. However, after turning a corner at a substancial speed, i was faced with a flock of sheep in the middle of the road. So naturally i braked very hard in order to avoid them only to find the car not really wanting to do the same. Luckly, i stopped with 2 inches to spare (seriously), but was left wondering why the car did not perform as expected. There was no sign of any traction control stepping in nor did it lock up. Just slow braking....

Is this whats called "Brake Fade" ? anyone?.... thanks

Im guessing a yes? Although guys here hammer their Clios around tracks and Ive not heard anyone complaining of fade?

Could well be brake fade, did the pedal feel spongy, or did it just not stop, if the pedal felt spongly the fluid coud be boiling, and/or the rubber lines expanding.

Sounds to me like just brake fade, std pads, they just got too hot and didnt perform

BMW M3

Yeh... kind of. and i pushed it as hard as i could and the Traction control didnt even show a hint of involvment.

BMW M3

Now that i think about it though, the pedal felt pretty normal except i was expecting vibrations from ESP ect... which never happended

VaVa

The vibrations are from ABS. You would only get them if the wheels locked, which by the sounds of it the braking system wasnt able to do. Sounds like fade to me.

BMW M3

Sorry... i meant ABS. Yeh, i think the wheels would have locked and the ABS worked with the amount of pressure i was applying to the brake. Once i let the brakes cool down agian they seemed fine so hopefully just fade. Dont think i have ever experienced brake fade before....almost cost me a new front end and a few sheep. lol

Elise/VX220/R26

must have boiled the brake fluid m8, I never ever experienced any brake fade with my 172 even driving really hard, get it looked at

BMW M3

So if i did boil the brake fluid, and it wasnt brake fade, is that a serious problem or just normal for the driving style?

i was forced to pull in when on track at FCS due to brake fade... very spongey and no feel through the pedal at all.

they were stadard brakes on my 172 with new pads from Renault.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Fade? Whats that? :p

Get some Performance Friction pads and braided lines (speak to Yozza) and fade will be a thing of the past.