ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

brake fuid

Clio ph2 172
im about to buy new brake setup and i'm just wondering what brake fluid u guys use?

if it makes any difference set up will be -

brembo hc disks with ferrodo ds2500

and ktr braided hoses.

car will be doing a few track days this year.

Just get some dot 5.1 fluid. higher boiling poin than dot 4. If you're a labels ***** get some branded stuff.

Just get some dot 5.1 fluid. higher boiling poin than dot 4. If you're a labels ***** get some branded stuff.
5.1 is hydroscopic ie absorber water don't use it unless you fully bleed your brakes all the time race cars use it but the fluid never stays in them long.

5.1 isn't that much better than 4 and give it any time in use and 4 is better.

5.1 is hydroscopic ie absorber water don't use it unless you fully bleed your brakes all the time race cars use it but the fluid never stays in them long.

5.1 isn't that much better than 4 and give it any time in use and 4 is better.

I thought all brake fluid absorbs water. And I thought it was dot 5 that race cars use (and is silicone based therefore not compatible with our road cars)

I use Motul RBF660 available from lots of places, Opie oils, Demon tweeks etc. Its got good wet and dry boiling points and is DOT 4 so won't cause any issues with the system :)

I don't see anything in there which suggests dot 4 is better than 5.1? (It could be that it's late and i'm tired..)
4 Isn't better straight out the bottle only after a short time 5.1 will absort water quick so becomes worse than 4 at the same age.

5.1 is race car only.

pistonheads link just has a load of people getting mixed up between dot 5 and 5.1. I'd be interested to see a proper technical article saying 4 is better than 5.1.

pistonheads link just has a load of people getting mixed up between dot 5 and 5.1. I'd be interested to see a proper technical article saying 4 is better than 5.1.

Only when after some time when they have both absorbed water the 4 will be better since it will still be usable the 5.1 won't

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've recently had DOT5 put in my car after fitting braided lines. The pedal is really good on track and no fade at all. I've got DS2500 pads all round and Brembo HC front discs

172 Cup
Motul RBF660 is what i use on a very similar setup to the one you have mentioned and it works fantastic.

nothing
ive got 5 or 6 bottles of lexus/toyota dot 5.1 its supplied as part of the service kits from the main dealers, would it be worth using if im bleeding the full system and replacing the old stuff which may have never been changed? or go for dot 4?