ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Light Out.

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Hi,
Read a couple of threads about brake lights been out, with rear lights still working, and i understand the bulb is a dual filament one. Most answers have been simply to change it, i have and it still ain't having it.

My passenger brake light stopped working yesterday i think, (some nice chap hollered at me on bypass)
So i went about changing it with another bulb i had, from the spare light i had in my boot.
Same thing happened. No brake light, but the rear light was still on. Which made me think its not the bulb, but i've ordered some new ones anyway.
Its not a fuse, i didn't think it was, but i've checked them for the sake of it.
So i'm kinda thinking it may be wiring, but i'm not that sure what i should be looking for.
IIRC, the brake/rear light wires are two blue ones?
New car please?
Cheers,

clio 182 'full fat'
you can check the bulb by looking at it, hold it up to the light and give it a tap and youll be able to see the filament wire snapped/boucing around, or get a multimeter and check to see if theres power at the bulb holder, failing that take the plug out from the rear light unit and check its all clean. if its dirty give it a spray with some electrical cleaner and wd40.

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
The filament hasn't snapped mate.
On either bulb, i've tried two. :/
Looks like i'm gonna have to try a multimeter.
I'll give it a blast with electrical cleaner too.
Cheers.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Did you swap it out for the correct type ?!

Pretty obvious if it's blown .. the filament will either be in bits rolling around the bottom of the bulb, or dangling like it's just been cut in two. Give the duff one a gentle shake and you'll see if it's in one piece or not.

Edit: Just seen above post. Swap the left brake light bulb for the right hand side one and see what happens.

clio 182 'full fat'
it doesnt take alot for the contacts not to connect properly, i work on bin wagons and s**t some of the time so im used to working on lights full of s**t:D

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Edit: Just seen above post. Swap the left brake light bulb for the right hand side one and see what happens.[/I]
Yep, took the whole light board off and swapped it over and it worked, then did it with just the bulb and it didn't, So it must be the light circuit board?
But the passenger side, and the spare passenger side one didn't work. :/ But then again, neither did either bulb.
So i'm gonna fit the new bulbs when they come, and if no luck; procure one from the scrappo!
Cheers mate, dunno why i didn't think of swapping the bulbs. :/ (FAIL)