ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Brake Upgrade - 1.6

White Sti Hatch
In the next around 2 months i will be grabbing myself a 1.6 (Mk2 Ph2) and one of the first things i want to do is upgrade the breaks i was thinking along the lines of braided lines and new pads but would it be worth the bother to uprate the Discs to Drilled or Grooved ??

I plan on taking the car on the track and for fast road use so that would be the reason for the upgrade

BMW M135i
No get some goodridge braided lines, you may struggle to fit the rears though (not like it'll matter that much). Brembo high carbon or max discs as said then pads dependant on what your going to do with it. DS2500s if track, something like greenstuffs if just fast road.

White Sti Hatch
Arnt the raers Drums anyway ?? You havent got a link to where i could get the stuff do you mate ?

BMW M135i
Yes the rears are drums (<Ph3) and it won't make much difference anyway because theres so little braking force done by the rears.

What you exactly looking at getting?

White Sti Hatch
Im gonna mostly use it Fast road but i am going to venture to track a few times so just really what would benifit me from stock im not clued up on brekas but im guessin Pads n Lines if needed Drilled or Grooved discs so basicaly the full monty

Im looking at 03 plate 1.6s

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The standard brakes are more than capable. From the Williams IIRC which was a 150bhp 900kg car. If they're good enough for that they're good enough for a Dynamique

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Although if you must upgrade, DS2500 pads give very good stopping power. A few times more expensive than standard pads though.

White Sti Hatch
Well if there alright then i might just leave it test them out on my first track run and see what i think.

White Sti Hatch
Na its not just a track car will be my everyday but i do plan on track jonts throughout the year.

In the next around 2 months i will be grabbing myself a 1.6 (Mk2 Ph2) and one of the first things i want to do is upgrade the breaks i was thinking along the lines of braided lines and new pads but would it be worth the bother to uprate the Discs to Drilled or Grooved ??

I plan on taking the car on the track and for fast road use so that would be the reason for the upgrade
Slcok lines are OK and caliper and brakes there form as said a 150hp car and the pads infact come from an even more powerful car and the disk from another so no worries I've only once had trouble with fade and that at Bedford which is known for its ability to fade any brake setup plus the brakes were worn before hand anyway badly.
get Brembo disks and ferodo pads, job done.
Stock disk are fine.
FDB845 is the stock pad.
Just leave the rubber lines ??
Yep there fine.
No get some goodridge braided lines, you may struggle to fit the rears though (not like it'll matter that much). Brembo high carbon or max discs as said then pads dependant on what your going to do with it. DS2500s if track, something like greenstuffs if just fast road.
Greenstuff are fine for track use same goes for stock and IMo I'd pick stock over greens.
Im gonna mostly use it Fast road but i am going to venture to track a few times so just really what would benifit me from stock im not clued up on brekas but im guessin Pads n Lines if needed Drilled or Grooved discs so basicaly the full monty
Forget groved etc vented disk are all you need. Drilled fancy stuff just cracks and is no better.

Best get your driving sorted before bothering modying anything.